Calling/texting from your phone using your PC!!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks SpookDroid, appreciate it!

I tried it last night and it did work over WiFi... :S Is your router blocking any ports? Or maybe your PC's antivirus or something? You might have to add SideSync to its blacklist so that it doesn't block traffic to it.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I tried it last night and it did work over WiFi... :S Is your router blocking any ports? Or maybe your PC's antivirus or something? You might have to add SideSync to its blacklist so that it doesn't block traffic to it.
Well, I have full admin and full access, nothing blocked to my computer, as we own our company and I do block various sites to other computers in the office. So if you try from one of those computers to access a blocked site it comes up on the screen saying...."Site Blocked by Netgear" this doesn't happen on my computer.

I will however, log into it and add SideSync as safe and see if that makes a difference.....otherwise I will stick with Pushbullet. Its weird that I had no problems setting that up and using it perfectly.

Thank you SpookDroid for always going the Extra Mile to try and help out!!!

UPDATE: I added it to Safe sites in my Netgear, still no go. I looked at its help feature and it says you need to turn off Windows Firewall. I am not going to mess with that.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it sounds to me like it's a firewall issue. Here at work, for instance, even though I have full network privileges, having the phone on the same WiFi as my computer doesn't allow me to use SideSync (something to do with the router's config, and I'm not the admin, so I couldn't tell exactly what). Pushbullet works becuase it's not really using a 'local' network. It's sending the info through Internet packets, which is why you don't even need to be in the same network as your phone to do this. SideSync, on the other hand, creates a local, private connection to your computer, which is why you have to be in the same network for this to work.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I sit next to my hard-wired router so I often forget THIS PC doesn't even have WiFi. Can you use USB? In my imagination I see most people using this while right next to it anyway. Until you mentioned the NetGear thing I thought maybe same for you.

When you see that message can you right click somewhere and "ok" it like with popups? Also, I reread what you say and it looks like maybe you are not seeing the NetGear thing. As patronizing as this sounds...have you made sure you have wifi and have it turned on for that machine? And if it IS on are you using it for anything else? Do you need to open a port?

Good luck!

Well, I have full admin and full access, nothing blocked to my computer, as we own our company and I do block various sites to other computers in the office. So if you try from one of those computers to access a blocked site it comes up on the screen saying...."Site Blocked by Netgear" this doesn't happen on my computer.

I will however, log into it and add SideSync as safe and see if that makes a difference.....otherwise I will stick with Pushbullet. Its weird that I had no problems setting that up and using it perfectly.

Thank you SpookDroid for always going the Extra Mile to try and help out!!!

UPDATE: I added it to Safe sites in my Netgear, still no go. I looked at its help feature and it says you need to turn off Windows Firewall. I am not going to mess with that.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I sit next to my hard-wired router so I often forget THIS PC doesn't even have WiFi. Can you use USB? In my imagination I see most people using this while right next to it anyway. Until you mentioned the NetGear thing I thought maybe same for you.

When you see that message can you right click somewhere and "ok" it like with popups? Also, I reread what you say and it looks like maybe you are not seeing the NetGear thing. As patronizing as this sounds...have you made sure you have wifi and have it turned on for that machine? And if it IS on are you using it for anything else? Do you need to open a port?

Good luck!

It does work over USB (when at my computer, that's what I do, actually, to save power). But if you don't have an USB cable or port available, having the option of WiFi is nice.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Thank you Hdhuntr and Spook Droid..... Yes I have a USB cord (charger connected at my desk) I just didn't want to have to fool with that and like the wireless aspect better (boy am I snotty or what. LOL) When installed on my computer, it did put an icon in the task bar that when you right click, you choose Wifi or USB. I 'was' choosing Wifi and still got the same result showing on my phone as the screen shot I posted earlier. I do also feel that it is the firewall (not an expert at any of this) and thank you for the explanation between how SideSync and PushBullet work differently.

We do have wifi set up in our office and I connect my phone to it quite often. hdhuntr, Not patronizing at all.....I know you are trying to help and it is appreciated! As far as seeing if my computer wifi is on.....I am not sure where I would check that, although in my task bar, it does show "Network 2, Internet Access" all connected. "Do you need to open a port?" This is perhaps over my head.

I did delete the App from my computer and Phone, just prior to your last responses as I thought it just wasn't going to work out, as I like to keep everything Neat and Tidy and Removed if I am not going to use it. I could always re-install, but I guess I would ask you, is there a lot more content and uses to SideSync vs. PushBullet??? I was intrigued with trying it out, but happy with PushBullet if SideSync doesn't work for me. THANK YOU Greatly for all the help!!!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, they really are different apps. PushBullet mostly lets you get your phone notifications in your computer and reply to some of them and also offers file transfer. SideSync, on the other hand, lets you view your entire phone in your computer, just as if it were another program there. Also, you can share the keyboard and mouse from your computer to your phone, making input and manipulation a lot easier when working on your computer. Also, it lets you do file transfer and make calls.

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Well, they really are different apps. PushBullet mostly lets you get your phone notifications in your computer and reply to some of them and also offers file transfer. SideSync, on the other hand, lets you view your entire phone in your computer, just as if it were another program there. Also, you can share the keyboard and mouse from your computer to your phone, making input and manipulation a lot easier when working on your computer. Also, it lets you do file transfer and make calls.

I've enjoyed using both Pushbullet and SideSync.

The thing I like best about SideSync is sitting at my PC and making calls from it while my phone is tucked away charging. Then if I want to read a text or send one I do so from the PC.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Got it! Thank you very much for all your time.....I might try it again and even with the USB......not sure how useful the "phone calling" mentioned by others would be useful to me as I am sure you need to have a microphone attached to the computer.....I don't.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Google Voice works like a charm. Same number for life, can switch carrier, can make calls from pc, phone, tablet etc, same with text...

-Posted via Samsung Galaxy Note® 4

Google Voice is good but the Android app is in desperate need of an update (UI and functionality).

And, there is a daily limit on the # text messages.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd try it even on USB just for the screen sharing or even the keyboard/mouse sharing. Here's how I use it at work.

1) If I need to use an app actively, I just share the screen and display it in a window in my Computer. Then use the mouse and keyboard for interaction.

2) If I don't need (or want) the contents of my screen sprawled on my computer screen for all to see or if I just want to do a quick reply, I just use the keyboard/mouse sharing. This is my most used scenario. I keep the phone connected and sitting on a small card holder (perfect, cheap phone base!) in front of me, below my computer screen, and when a message comes through or I need to send a quick one, I just drag the mouse to the edge of the screen, it magically wakes up the phone and the little cursor appears on the phone. Should I need to type something, I use the computer's keyboard. Right/Left click act as tap and back buttons. All without touching the phone, just like having a 'small' extra screen.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Google Voice is good but the Android app is in desperate need of an update (UI and functionality).

And, there is a daily limit on the # text messages.
I looked at Google Voice years ago.....just don't want to use a different number to tie to everything....clients have had our (Greg and Margie) numbers for so long, can't see starting over, but Thanks!

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'd try it even on USB just for the screen sharing or even the keyboard/mouse sharing. Here's how I use it at work.

1) If I need to use an app actively, I just share the screen and display it in a window in my Computer. Then use the mouse and keyboard for interaction.

2) If I don't need (or want) the contents of my screen sprawled on my computer screen for all to see or if I just want to do a quick reply, I just use the keyboard/mouse sharing. This is my most used scenario. I keep the phone connected and sitting on a small card holder (perfect, cheap phone base!) in front of me, below my computer screen, and when a message comes through or I need to send a quick one, I just drag the mouse to the edge of the screen, it magically wakes up the phone and the little cursor appears on the phone. Should I need to type something, I use the computer's keyboard. Right/Left click act as tap and back buttons. All without touching the phone, just like having a 'small' extra screen.
Well, you inspire me to try it again with USB, I may even re-install the apps and try it on my laptop at home right now. BTW, love your, "small card holder (perfect, cheap phone base!)" LOL, I'm all for whatever works, and multipurpose for sure! Thanks again! Great evening to all!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I looked at Google Voice years ago.....just don't want to use a different number to tie to everything....clients have had our (Greg and Margie) numbers for so long, can't see starting over, but Thanks!

You can port your current number into Google Voice if you want to. There are downsides to porting a mobile number to Google Voice though. Those discount SMS at stores, text notifications from vendors where you need to 'subscribe' first? Gone. MMS? Shady at best, and sometimes it comes through as e-mail (definitely not as integrated as your current client). But you get the benefit of free US calling as long as you have a network connection and the ability to 'ring' your phone in as many computers, landlines, and mobiles as you want and all with the same number.

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Has anybody tried SideSync on a Mac? I read somewhere that there is a client, but that the bluetooth calling through the computer won't work. Just curious if all the other features work.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084