Ok so I just switched from an iPhone 6 plus to the note 4 and I love it but I keep seeing all the post about rooting and I don't know if it's for me I have jailbroken my iPhone before but I see so many different stuff like roms and am kind of lost and don't know where I would start and what to choose what's the difference between them and if it's even worth it any info and comments would be appreciated. Thanks
    01-30-2015 06:58 PM
    What carrier are you on?

Right off the bat if you're on Verizon or AT&T your question is answered for you since those carrier branded Note 4's are not rootable at this time anyway.
    01-30-2015 07:32 PM
    I'm on tmobile
    01-30-2015 08:05 PM
    Go to xda and get debloater you don't need to be rooted to use its in the note 4 forums with it you can disable anything you want I am so happy with it I'll probably not even update to lollipop .you installed it to your computer and then used it .check it out
    01-30-2015 08:31 PM
    I feel ya.. I'm in the same boat. I also jailbroke my iphone but it seemed so much easier.. everything ran off of cydia. Downloaded some repos and you had everything you could need. Not sure where to start with roms and custom roms etc..

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-30-2015 08:33 PM
    Yeah I have been away from iOS for a long time so I have no idea what jailbreak brings these days but I doubt the possibilities for customization are as vast as they are on android. I'd say start with asking yourself if you are missing anything from iOS and work from there. There may be 3rd party apps that will work, or you may have to root. Most likely you won't though.
    01-30-2015 08:40 PM
    If you want to learn about root you must read, check out XDA Developers.

Attached Thumbnails Root or not-4042.jpg  
    01-30-2015 08:56 PM
    Depends on what you think you're missing. I personally have always JB my iPhones cause Apple limited what I could do. I haven't really seen a reason to Root on Android. Actually I regret rooting my S4 as it was not needed.
    01-30-2015 09:01 PM
    Right now the only thing I can think of is unlimited hotspot that would make me want to root.
    01-30-2015 11:25 PM
    Yeah probably not reason enough for you then. Others such as myself can't live without root. For me it's a matter of customization and control over the device. Stuff like fully customizable gesture control (GMD gesture control), Tasker macros and taking control over permissions of apps are important to me.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    01-31-2015 03:27 AM
    Can you explain more muzzy...?
    01-31-2015 05:03 AM
    Well with GMD Gesture Control I get quicker access to the things I need using custom gestures that are applied either anywhere on the screen or from select trigger points along the various edges of the screen. Some examples of what I set up include a thumb swipe in/out from the right edge executes the BACK command rather than using the back button. A 4-finger pinch goes home, tapping the screen with 3 fingers launches Textra (SMS app), tap and hold 3 launches Play Music, tap and hold 4 fingers does an ALT-TAB, a 5-finger pinch kills the current application, a straight swipe up from the bottom edge of the screen launches Google Now but swipes at angles from the bottom edge of screen will control previous/next tracks when listening to music. A 2-finger swipe up from the bottom edge gets me my equalizer (Viper4AndroidFX). All of these kinds of things are launchable from within any application and I've set them up on both my tablet and my phone so they have become second nature to me. The possibilities are endless as to what gestures launch what application/function.

With Tasker I'm working on making my phone more self aware by having it do things at set times or based upon set conditions. For example my phone not only reduces its volume settings when I go to bed but before I wake up it reboots and resets volume settings so that each day I start with my phone set up the same way. When I get in my car and the phone senses the bluetooth connection of my car it will know that I'm driving and act accordingly such as reading all SMS messages out loud to me. Its also possible to have the phone auto-reply to SMS messages to let people know that you're driving and will respond later. Since my car's bluetooth doesnt support media playback through the stereo I need to use an aux cable through the headphone jack so with tasker I have a profile setup that will set media volume to max when I'm in the car and the headphone jack is used. The phone will launch Play Music for me when it senses that I've plugged in the aux cable in the car. Since I use bluetooth all of the time I have a macro set to audibly notify me with a set tone when a device connects to it (just for peace of mind security wise).

Other root functions that I really need include using Titanium Backup to back up applications and data. I save 2 copies on external SD card so that if an update to an application is buggy or changes features I can roll back to a prior version. I also use Titanium to freeze applications that I don't use (a lot of Samsung apps that I don't like LOL).

Then there's Xposed modules . . . there's a module to allow you to set a custom gallery app that's launched from the gallery icon in the default camera app which is SOOOO helpful to eliminate the dreaded lag time between taking photos and viewing them. I also run modules to control what apps load at boot to reduce background processes that I don't need.

There's also Adaway which I sideload after root to drastically cut down on popup ads in apps and websites.

Tons of stuff . . . I'm sure I'm missing a lot.
    01-31-2015 11:50 AM
    Wow all that stuff is Kool but I don't even know where I would start I like the whole volume low and restart in the morning with high volume and the car settings since I'm a driver and also use Bluetooth and an aux cable. Do you think you would be able to help me and the only other thing I would want is the unlimited hotspot
    01-31-2015 02:01 PM
    Absolutely no reason to root if you are not well advanced in manipulating the inner workings of your android device. Most would never benefit from rooting and alot of those who have rooted really havent gained much, just did it because they could. If you disable the boat, it all but disappears. Doesn't become an issue unless you really need that last bit of space on your phone. Which you won't. This is just my opinion YMMV. I rooted my G3 and it caused serious delays and I changed nothing.

Crashdamage likes this.
    01-31-2015 02:11 PM
    Ok thx bassplayrguy
    01-31-2015 04:32 PM
    Mrgigabyte, thanks for the debloater tip
    01-31-2015 05:42 PM
    Thx Mrgigabyte
    01-31-2015 06:33 PM
    i dont know why my mobile dont root!i try to root it very much but dont work any app root on it,i belive root not is good for warranti phone
    02-01-2015 09:36 AM
    Wow all that stuff is Kool but I don't even know where I would start I like the whole volume low and restart in the morning with high volume and the car settings since I'm a driver and also use Bluetooth and an aux cable. Do you think you would be able to help me and the only other thing I would want is the unlimited hotspot
    I'd say try to make due without root first. Do your research on the various tweaks that you want to do.

Best resource is the XDA forum : http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4-mobile

I started with root and then ended up with installing Dynamic Kat ROM and adding tweaks to that via xposed modules and Tasker.

One thing I would strongly consider is waiting for Lollipop to hit our devices first. Once you root you need to be cautious about updating or else you risk losing root, so right now it's not a bad idea to wait and see what lollipop will bring.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    02-01-2015 10:17 AM
    Ok thx
    02-01-2015 11:29 AM
    Is it true that the n910f starts to lag after root and after using xposed framework?
    02-02-2015 02:41 PM