Screen staying on after notification ?

anon(485487)

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
So I just recently switched from iPhone to a AT&T Note 4..been fiddling with the settings and seem to of got everything how I like it..but whenever I get a notification of some sort the screen Will stay on until I attend to the power button. Does anybody know the possible cause ? My screen time out is at 30 seconds..checked developer options and the stay awake feature is disabled. Not sure whatsoever of what could be causing this

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's odd. Does it happen with all notifications? The only 'trigger' for the screen is SMS (I hate that since you can't turn it off, but that's the way it is), and even when the screen comes on, if you don't attend to it, the screen time out setting still goes into effect, so in theory, in your case, it should go off on its own after 30 seconds. And again, only SMS notifications should trigger the screen-on thing.

anon(485487)

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
As far as I can tell yes with all of them, I'll wake up in the morning with an instagram like and my phone screen on. Assuming it's been on all night . Or a sms as you said or a twitter notification or even just a Clash of clans' "your troops are ready" notification . Happens whether it's charging or not as well.. which if it was only on the charger it wouldn't be as big of a deal.. but the screen on constantly after a notification while not being attended to is killing my battery somethin serious . Havent really seen anyone with this issue thus far so it's strange

anon(485487)

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Noticed this as well.. in each of my apps under permissions.. "Prevents phone from sleeping" is in there . Could that be it ? Admittedly when I download an app from the Play store I don't go through the permissions I always just hit accept

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422896682033.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422896682033.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 59

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It definitely shouldn't be doing that. Is there an app you installed that might be interfering with Notification handling? You could try booting up your phone in 'Safe Mode'. What this does is only start your phone with stock apps and services (as if it were factory-reset, but without losing data). Then, if you want a 3rd party app to run, you have to manually start it. You could try doing this and try sending yourself a text or e-mail and see if the issue persists. If it does, it might be an issue with your phone (and would warrant an exchange), but if it doesn't, then you know it's a rogue, 3rd party app that's causing it.

UPDATE: Sorry, I thought I'd pasted the link before...guess I didn't
http://support.sprint.com/support/tutorial/Access_Safe_Mode_Samsung_Galaxy_Notereg_4/56116-279

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Noticed this as well.. in each of my apps under permissions.. "Prevents phone from sleeping" is in there . Could that be it ? Admittedly when I download an app from the Play store I don't go through the permissions I always just hit accept

Most of the time that permission is needed to keep an app running in the background. Otherwise you'd need to open the app every time you want to check if you have any notifications.

anon(485487)

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
It definitely shouldn't be doing that. Is there an app you installed that might be interfering with Notification handling? You could try booting up your phone in 'Safe Mode'. What this does is only start your phone with stock apps and services (as if it were factory-reset, but without losing data). Then, if you want a 3rd party app to run, you have to manually start it. You could try doing this and try sending yourself a text or e-mail and see if the issue persists. If it does, it might be an issue with your phone (and would warrant an exchange), but if it doesn't, then you know it's a rogue, 3rd party app that's causing it.
Thankyou I'll give it a shot , I just left my phone for 15 munutes..came back to the screen on again. With a Gmail notification and clash of clans notification . So I'm going to try this safe mode and see what comes of it

anon(485487)

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Booted in safe mode, texted myself and emailed myself . The screen turned on for sms and then turned back off in the alotted time-out time . Which means then I'm assuming that it's a certain app causing this . I really haven't downloaded too many "unofficial" apps either which is kind of weird .

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, at least you now know that it IS an app. Any apps that come to mind that you've installed lately? Something that either handles battery saving features, shows notifications, or lockscreen? I'd leave games out of this for now...

anon(485487)

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
C notice but this problem was happening before I installed that . And I locked my phone... and waited for it to turn on ... a sms came up and then timed out again, so the screen turned off..but for some reason when I received a Gmail notification the screen wouldn't turn back off. Which is really strange because the Gmail app was installed when I got the phone

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
What about any antivirus-type of apps? Do you remember around when this started happening and what you might have downloaded when it did? An SMS app?

anon(485487)

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope stuck with the regular messages app. I uninstalled the Gmail updates, and redownloaded and since I've done that I haven't noticed the screen turning on and staying on...but we'll see

anon(485487)

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
What about any antivirus-type of apps? Do you remember around when this started happening and what you might have downloaded when it did? An SMS app?
Stuck with the stock messages app, and it's been happening since i first got it and updated all my accounts and everything . Noticed it the first time it was plugged in . Which made me think I needed to tweak some settings but went through and everything seems to be set accordingly, so that it wouldn't do that . At this moment it seems that it's not doing it after i deleted my Gmail updates and reinstalled them . We shall see

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Let's hope it works... if not, I'd try factory resetting (I know, PITA if you already set up your phone to your liking :( )

anon(485487)

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Let's hope it works... if not, I'd try factory resetting (I know, PITA if you already set up your phone to your liking :( )
Didn't work, had it plugged in and just checked and the screen was on at full brightness and wasn't turning off . Never heard of this...So, other than a factory reset is there anything else I can try ? Maybe going on an uninstall spree ?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, uninstalling stuff would help, but if you really don't know which app it is or if you can't remember which ones you downloaded then, it's really quicker to just do the factory reset.

Another option is to run in Safe Mode, and start running 3rd party apps one by one until the issue presents itself. But again, it's time consuming.

anon(485487)

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, uninstalling stuff would help, but if you really don't know which app it is or if you can't remember which ones you downloaded then, it's really quicker to just do the factory reset.

Another option is to run in Safe Mode, and start running 3rd party apps one by one until the issue presents itself. But again, it's time consuming.
Seems that turning off notifications for my Beautiful Widgets has stopped it for the time being . Once again though, we shall see

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Please keep us posted. It'd be good to see if that's the culprit (I stopped using Beautiful Widgets a while ago since using Themer), and if it is indeed that, I'd send a message to the developer to let them know.

anon(485487)

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Please keep us posted. It'd be good to see if that's the culprit (I stopped using Beautiful Widgets a while ago since using Themer), and if it is indeed that, I'd send a message to the developer to let them know.
Thanks for your help, also I downloaded greenify which may or may not have helped stop it as well . And have heard of themer quite a bit..I assume you would have to use that with a launcher though ? I never liked TouchWiz up until now..for some reason 4.4.4 on the note 4 (once animations are scaled down and such) is a lot snappier than previous builds of it . So haven't had the need to try Nova yet but I might give it a shot to see

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
TouchWiz on the Note 4 is not so bad, even with animations. And Themer IS a launcher (it uses Zooper Widgets for the widgets needed, but they are included in the launcher and in the themes when you download them). I just love making my phone look entirely different, not just adjusting grid sizes and icon packs. It's TRULY a different phone.

Nova drained my battery on the Tab S, so I stopped using it and didn't want to try it on the Note hehe