Does anyone know the correct way to charge your note 4 battery? There are times when my phone gets hot, the battery drains fast. Is OK to charge when it's at 40 50 % or is it best to do a full charge from 5% to 100%

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-07-2015 11:40 AM
    I don't have a Note 4, but I typically start charging between 30-40%.

This might be a good guide to look over: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...tery-shot.html
    02-07-2015 11:48 AM
    As above I start charging at around 40% but I prefer do it through USB, it takes a bit longer but the battery and the phone do not heat up in the process and from what I've read it's better for the battery's lifespan.
    02-07-2015 12:26 PM
    Just use it how you see fit and don't worry about what others think, after all the battery is replaceable.

IMO a dead phone is worthless so I rather charge frequently out of habit since I never know when I'll need it. I'd be pissed at myself if my battery was low when I needed it simply because I was trying to follow battery care advice and I missed a charge cycle. My usage is light enough that all I need is to charge overnight daily. Most days that means a battery level of about 70% when it goes on the charger but some days it's at 30. If I were to try to wait every other day to always charge at 30-40% I'd run the risk of forgetting one day.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    akutch34 likes this.
    02-07-2015 12:52 PM
    Does anyone know the correct way to charge your note 4 battery? There are times when my phone gets hot, the battery drains fast. Is OK to charge when it's at 40 50 % or is it best to do a full charge from 5% to 100%

I generally charge at 30 percent without the fast charging. The phone itself charges fast already so no need to put extra stress on the battery

Amazing Verizon Galaxy Note 4
    02-07-2015 01:17 PM
    Thank you! I ordered a new battery from amazon For 18$. I had received the Note 4, the first day it was released. Charging it at least 2 times a day. Thank you for your comments. Can others tell me there experience with there Note 4 the standard battery. Thanks again

02-07-2015 01:22 PM
    Sounds like you're a much heavier user than I am. I'm typically in an office all day and on wifi with good LTE signal so my standby battery drain is minimal and my usage is very light since I'm at my workstation for most of the time.

When you're charging twice a day what is your battery % at?
    02-07-2015 01:51 PM
    I agree muzzy996. I charge when and if I need to. The first day my Note4 was eating complete battery in less than 4 hours. I took it back and got replacement. Still had similar issue. Then I read somewhere on this forum about SD card may be causing problem. I pulled my SD card, copied it to my portable hard drive, reinstalled and formatted it. I then reinstalled everything I needed. Problem fixed. I go two or three days sometimes without recharge. I am not a power user but do spend a lot of time on my phone. I also have several chargers and cables. One set at home, another set (car charger) I leave in my car and a third set (charger, cable, 6 ft USB extension) and a few other odds and ends I carry around. I also have a wireless mouse I use with my Galaxy Note Tab 12.2. Keep them all in a soft case that was originally for external hard drive. The charge cables can be used for all devices. I also have a LG Bluetooth headset that use the same cable for charging. 1 cable, charge everything.

Posted via Android Central App
    muzzy996 likes this.
    02-07-2015 01:53 PM
    you will get longer life out of your battery if you start to charge at around 40%-50%. But if you do this, make sure you bring the battery charge level down to 5%-10% at least once every week or so.

Like others said, don't harp so much on if you are charging it "incorrectly" or not, just keep doing what you are doing. These phones with replaceable battery's are great, if you end up killing your battery they are very inexpensive to replace (as you have already found out).
    muzzy996 likes this.
    02-07-2015 02:02 PM
    I charge whenever I need to. If I know I'll be away from the charger and I have 75% left I'll charge to 100%. From what I read, these batteries prefer to be charged. Letting them go down to 0% actually hurts the battery.
    02-07-2015 02:25 PM
    So if you want the longevity of the batter maximum, keep the charge around 50%, never fast charge, never heat the phone/battery above ambient temperature but if you want to use your phone charge when and how you want to, that is what I do. I will simply fork out the cash to buy a new battery when it begins to act up.
    02-07-2015 02:33 PM
    Thank you! I ordered a new battery from amazon For 18$. I had received the Note 4, the first day it was released. Charging it at least 2 times a day. Thank you for your comments. Can others tell me there experience with there Note 4 the standard battery. Thanks again

Got a link to that 18 dollar battery? That's pretty cheap! I've seen them around 30
    02-07-2015 03:17 PM
    I just plug mine in when I need a charge and unplug it when I'm done. With modern batteries you don't need to do much more than that. And if the gloom and doom posters are right; I'll buy another battery. I'll tell you one thing. I won't be likely to go back to a phone without a removable battery again.
    iOSConvert2k14 likes this.
    02-07-2015 03:26 PM
    I do what I've done with every phone I have ever had. I charge it when it gets down to about 10% or so. Never had a problem with the battery. I do use the fast charger. I don't believe what people say when they say it is harmful for the battery. Samsung wouldn't have included it if it was a bad thing.
    02-07-2015 04:10 PM

If the battery heats up while charging, replace it IMO...the only time my phone's battery gets hot while charging is if I am using the phone while it's charging...or else, I don't notice the heat @ all when it's charging!
    02-07-2015 04:21 PM
    So if you want the longevity of the batter maximum, keep the charge around 50%, never fast charge, never heat the phone/battery above ambient temperature but if you want to use your phone charge when and how you want to, that is what I do. I will simply fork out the cash to buy a new battery when it begins to act up.
    Fast charging had no negative effect on the battery

iOSConvert2k14 and Bizzle69 like this.
    02-07-2015 04:26 PM
    One of the biggest reasons I got the N4 is for the easily replaceable battery. Charge it when it's needed. No worries.
    monsieurms likes this.
    02-07-2015 04:57 PM
    I typically swap out for a fresh battery around 20% (have two along with the Samsung spare battery kit/charger) every other day, more often with heavy use. I never actually use the phone to charge, just the external battery charger. Did the same thing with my old Note 2 the last two years and its two batteries are still going strong. Worst case if a battery were to go bad, just get a new one and add it into the mix. This is why a user replaceable battery is a must have for me. No built-in obsolescence.
    02-07-2015 05:34 PM
    Got a link to that 18 dollar battery? That's pretty cheap! I've seen them around 30
    Anker battery for $12.99:

http://www.amazon.com/Capable-3220mA...cUvbUpU4219789

Two Anker batteries + charger (not a Quickarger, though) for $24.99:

http://www.amazon.com/Capable-Batter...cUvbUpU4219789

Anker products are very good.
    02-07-2015 05:38 PM
    Read Battery University - How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries. If you study the chart (second figure, the first is a graph), you'll see that you'll get the longest life from a lithium battery by charging it at the 50% point. (Charging at anywhere from 40% to 55% won't change the lifetime much.)

Letting it run down to 5% regularly? Buy stock in a battery company. It may last a little more than 6 months, but I wouldn't count on it.

If you need more capacity than 50% between charges gives you, buy a second battery and swap them when the one in the phone drops to about 45%. Two Anker batteries (they're good) and a charger to charge both at once (one in the phone, one out) will cost you $25.
    02-07-2015 06:41 PM
    Read Battery University - How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries. If you study the chart (second figure, the first is a graph), you'll see that you'll get the longest life from a lithium battery by charging it at the 50% point. (Charging at anywhere from 40% to 55% won't change the lifetime much.)

Letting it run down to 5% regularly? Buy stock in a battery company. It may last a little more than 6 months, but I wouldn't count on it.

If you need more capacity than 50% between charges gives you, buy a second battery and swap them when the one in the phone drops to about 45%. Two Anker batteries (they're good) and a charger to charge both at once (one in the phone, one out) will cost you $25.
    I'll keep on running mine down to 5-10%. Been doing that for years and have never had to replace a battery. My iPhone 5S is over a year old now and it still lasts for nearly two days on one charge. My old iPhone 3GS still lasts for a full day. My two year old Nexus 4 still lasts for a day.

I see no reason not to let it get down to 5-10% before charging.
    02-07-2015 06:47 PM
    Sounds like you're a much heavier user than I am. I'm typically in an office all day and on wifi with good LTE signal so my standby battery drain is minimal and my usage is very light since I'm at my workstation for most of the time.

When you're charging twice a day what is your battery % at?
    This.
    02-07-2015 07:41 PM
    I got it from amazon.

02-07-2015 11:37 PM
    Thank you everyone for your help !

02-07-2015 11:43 PM