02-14-2015 09:39 PM
68 123
tools
    So I had the fortune of having an opportunity to test out an Iphone 6 Plus for about 2 weeks before I switched back to android and got myself a Note 4.

Here are my quick thoughts:
    1) Ios is not really optimized for a 5.5 inch screen. Yes, the phone has a landscape mode--and yes it's nice in emails and a few other applications. But other than that, several applications look terrible on the 6 plus (I'm looking at you Twitter). I'm sure in several months, developers will begin optimizing their apps for the larger screen size.
    2) the S pen really makes a difference. While some may dismiss it as simple tech useless nonsense---I wholeheartedly disagree. I find myself taking notes during phone calls, marking up notes and creating shopping lists. I think Samsung did a great job optimizing the new S-pen look and feel when its removed from the phone.
    3) rapid charge is amazing. While the 6 Plus charged in a decent amount of time (usually about an hour), the Note 4 has one of the fastest chargers out there. Kudos to Sammy on this one.
    4) Touchwiz finally feels lag-free and somewhat useful. I've had an S3, S4, S5, Note II, and Note 3 at various times and I just never liked Touchwiz. Strangely, on the Note 4, Sammy did much better removing a lot of the bloatware and useless stuff we don't use. Im a huge fan of the settings menu and ability to quickly toggle through the main applications and tabs.
    5) Lastly, for a 5.7 inch phone, the Note 4 still feels better and fits in your hand better than the large bezels of the 6 plus. There would be times where just holding the 6 plus while reading wasn't comfortable. The Note 4 feels good in the hand.

These are my thoughts for now. Yes, Im excited to be back to Android----after giving Ios a run again. But honestly, I feel like Samsung is at their prime right now. I expect big things from the soon to be announced S6.
    02-08-2015 02:03 AM
    Do you mean ios instead of los?
    02-08-2015 06:55 AM
    Do you mean ios instead of los?
    I = i, L = l. As you can see, there is no real way to tell whether OP typed "i" or "L" since the upper case "i" looks exactly the same as the lower case "L". The lower case "L" does seem slightly taller, though. But, since they're not side by side, it's hard to tell (example: Ill = ill).

Just a thought. 😆

Posted via the Android Central App on my bodaciously awesome Note 4!
    Jamie Wooten likes this.
    02-08-2015 08:36 AM
    I was typing with a capital "I". But yes I meant ios.
    02-08-2015 07:27 PM
    As you can see, there is no real way to tell whether OP typed "i" or "L" since the upper case "i" looks exactly the same as the lower case "L". The lower case "L" does seem slightly taller, though. But, since they're not side by side, it's hard to tell
    Actually there is. The simplest way to tell if "i" or "l" was entered, all you have to do is use the browser's search function and try both.

Anywaaaay! Thank you for that nice short review NYClawstudent.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    02-08-2015 07:34 PM
    I just used this new thing called "common sense" and it's friend "logic" to deduce he was saying "ios" as the discussion was about the iPhone 6+.

Carved in place by my Note 4.
    02-08-2015 09:08 PM
    I can't say that the Note 4 is superior to the iPhone 6+ because I never tried or owned a 6+ but I will say that the Note 4 is superior to my iPhone 5S in every way.
    bplink95 likes this.
    02-08-2015 09:57 PM
    Ascii dec 73 is I and ascii dec 105 is l, there is a difference, out of context they look identical. Grammatically I would be more correct than i sort of.

Tremendous difference in proprietary burned in the technology, for that I will choose Samsung regardless what apple offers up.
    02-08-2015 10:21 PM
    I can't say that the Note 4 is superior to the iPhone 6+ because I never tried or owned a 6+ but I will say that the Note 4 is superior to my iPhone 5S in every way.
    I agree with that, I've never owned an I-something but I will say this to me that Note 4 - especially rooted - is superior to every phone I've owned before it. My transformer is now only used for quick office on the go stuff. Absolutely loving this phone

If this phone would be 5,2 inches it would be like heaven.
    02-09-2015 01:04 AM
    Exactly how I feel. I upgraded from the 5S to this beast of a phone and never once have I regretted it!
    02-09-2015 01:08 AM
    5s + larger screen and new body + Apple Pay = 6+

Other than the larger screen and a few optimized apps. 6+ isn't much of an upgrade IMHO.

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-09-2015 10:21 AM
    I haven't used a 6+ before, but I do have an iphone 5 for work and my old S3 was superior to it even though it came out first.
    02-09-2015 10:36 AM
    Being that you posted this at an Android centric forum, I am sure you will get plenty of people to agree with you.
    On the other hand, arguing a "preference" is like, well.....Coke or Pepsi, Chevy or Ford, etc.
    shief24 and Adanick1 like this.
    02-09-2015 02:41 PM
    Both phones have there strong points and bad points, personally I have both as I have a 6+ which is my work phone and my Note 4 for personal use. I prefer using the note 4 for almost everything I do and if I had the choice I would have had another one for my work phone but the boss like's apple. I just love seeing the look on his face when I divert most of my calls and emails through the note.

ios is stagnating and the 6+ isn't a big upgrade from the 5s, The Note series definitely improve with every new generation and the S pen is a big game changer, touchwiz though is finally starting to work the way it should and I just think the Note 4 is probably the best Android phone I've ever used.
    02-09-2015 03:01 PM
    is there any real difference between iPhones other than screen size and a couple of other things? Seems to me no matter if it's an iPad or iPhone you get the same basic iOS that can't be modified. On the + side it's stable and snappy but that's about it. My iPad mini 2 is a great, well built boring tablet. it does what I need to to do and does it well. That's about it. I can't modify much of anything.
    02-09-2015 03:52 PM
    is there any real difference between iPhones other than screen size and a couple of other things? Seems to me no matter if it's an iPad or iPhone you get the same basic iOS that can't be modified. On the + side it's stable and snappy but that's about it. My iPad mini 2 is a great, well built boring tablet. it does what I need to to do and does it well. That's about it. I can't modify much of anything.
    Nothing changes from phone to iPad etc, basically the same across all mobile and tablet os. That may change with the iPad pro that is rumoured but even osx is limited compared to other os
    02-09-2015 05:45 PM
    I agree some apps aren't optimized for the screen but as days go by developers are updating their apps to fit the screen better. IMO twitter looks fine on the 6+. I liked having the S Pen on my note 3 but for my personal use it was rarely used more than a couple of times a week. The iPhone also supports rapid charging if you charge it with an iPad charger or if you charge it in your computer. I can get a full charge in under an hour. I wouldn't call the bezels of the 6+ large by any means but like everything else in my post and the op's it is up to preference.

I had the note 3 and loved the software (i.e split screen) and thought it was a great phone so I can only imagine that the note 4 would be an improvement. I switched to the note 4 after being with android for about 4 years (Samsung s2, note 2, htc one m7, note 3, moto x) and I think I am okay with iOS for now. It's just all up to preference if you ask me so I hope no one yells at me for having a different opinion.
    02-09-2015 09:58 PM
    I agree some apps aren't optimized for the screen but as days go by developers are updating their apps to fit the screen better. IMO twitter looks fine on the 6+. I liked having the S Pen on my note 3 but for my personal use it was rarely used more than a couple of times a week. The iPhone also supports rapid charging if you charge it with an iPad charger or if you charge it in your computer. I can get a full charge in under an hour. I wouldn't call the bezels of the 6+ large by any means but like everything else in my post and the op's it is up to preference.

I had the note 3 and loved the software (i.e split screen) and thought it was a great phone so I can only imagine that the note 4 would be an improvement. I switched to the note 4 after being with android for about 4 years (Samsung s2, note 2, htc one m7, note 3, moto x) and I think I am okay with iOS for now. It's just all up to preference if you ask me so I hope no one yells at me for having a different opinion.
    I did the same thing as you did but for about 1 year with Android. I did not buy an iPhone but I bought an iPad, which should not be that different besides size, and I liked iOS as well for about 3-4 months. After that though, I would never get an Apple product as they are too restricted. I'm not bashing you and you should enjoy your iPhone, but going back to Android was the best thing for me.

02-09-2015 10:35 PM
    I did the same thing as you did but for about 1 year with Android. I did not buy an iPhone but I bought an iPad, which should not be that different besides size, and I liked iOS as well for about 3-4 months. After that though, I would never get an Apple product as they are too restricted. I'm not bashing you and you should enjoy your iPhone, but going back to Android was the best thing for me.

Yeah maybe one day there will be a phone to lure me back but I am deep into the Apple ecosystem so everything works well together. (Apple Tv, Macbook, iTunes match, iPhone, etc) Once I saw that Apple released a phone with a larger screen and I can finally change my keyboard I was sold because I've always appreciated iOS. I have also jailbroken my 6+ for more customization. Anyway me and you are just two examples of how great it is to have options to choose from as consumers and it seems like you got the device for you! I always keep my eye on android news just to see what is changing.
    02-09-2015 11:12 PM
    Of course my comments are my own personal opinion. But with the recent success and publicity the 6 Plus has received in the last several months, I'm astounded that its been crowned as the best phablet. Aside from a landscape mode and optimized camera, I dont think the 6 Plus deserves its status as a true phablet. It's simply a larger screen with very few apps that utilize the space. Even more questionable is the boring look that Ios 8 has. There hasn't been any real evolution in the ios look and feel for over a year now.

Im very pleased with the progress of Android's material design and Touchwiz.

I also picked up a 6 plus to give ios one last shot. I previously had the iphone 5 s and the small screen killed it for me. Quite simply, 4 inches is not enough real estate for a power user like me.

All in all, I am very pleased with my decision to return to android after my HTC M8, which was glitchy and had some issues.
    02-11-2015 01:41 PM
    Having both the 6+ and the Note 4 I can say that, for me, the Note 4 is superior. That partly because I've just come to prefer Android to iOS but iOS is refreshing in it's simplicity sometimes. I prefer the 6+ camera but the Note 4's is still very competent. The S Pen gives the Note 4 an extremely unfair advantage too but who says life is fair?

from a dark Note 4📡
    02-11-2015 01:57 PM
    Maybe the its the "simplicity" of ios that I find so frustrating. It's almost like apple says its their way on the highway. Why cant i customize applications and my home page set up more. Why do I have to dive into the general settings for everything.

And the bottom swipe up for the music player and widgets is so frustrating. It only works half the time.

Lastly, I dont agree with critics who always say that ios apps look better. I actually prefer the way several major apps like instagram, NY times, pandora, etc. look in Android. Again I realize this is just a preference.

I do like the ios default email system better. But we get native G-mail which is amazing for those who have been using it since the early college days (i.e. me).
    02-11-2015 03:14 PM
    Maybe the its the "simplicity" of ios that I find so frustrating. It's almost like apple says its their way on the highway. Why cant i customize applications and my home page set up more. Why do I have to dive into the general settings for everything.

And the bottom swipe up for the music player and widgets is so frustrating. It only works half the time.

Lastly, I dont agree with critics who always say that ios apps look better. I actually prefer the way several major apps like instagram, NY times, pandora, etc. look in Android. Again I realize this is just a preference.

I do like the ios default email system better. But we get native G-mail which is amazing for those who have been using it since the early college days (i.e. me).
    Two years ago I would have said that i preferred most iOS apps that I use over the Android versions. Many of the Android versions were just plain ugly. Since then, so many of my favorite Android apps were updated and some have many more useful features built in over the iOS versions that I rarely reach for my iPad anymore. My iPad is actually on 5 days standby right now and that is because of how little I have used it this week. That wouldn't have happened a year ago.

Android has come a long way in the two years I've owned Android devices.
    02-11-2015 03:20 PM
    After a disaster of of owning a note 3 for a year and samsung +( mediamarkt) giving me the runaround with a defective note 3 I was totally put off of Android and jumped ship to Apple and purchased an iPhone 6plus. Whilst it was an OK phone I found IOS too restricted and to be honest totally boring. I Also felt that the 6plus was not optimised to take advantage of the size of screen on the 6 plus. Also it sufferd a lot of lag especially using any browser not just safari.
    I managed to sell it for 80 euro less than I paid for it so I didn't lose much on it and decided to give samsung note 4 a try. Glad that I did as the note 4 blows the 6 plus out the water.
    I have even stuck to using just plain old touchwiz on my note 4 as it's really good.
    Only thing I worry about is samsungs customer service if my phone develops a fault, as last time it took me 9 months to finally get a faulty note 3 exchanged.
    ?
    02-11-2015 03:53 PM
    When I bought my Note 4; I was really planning to get the 6Plus to replace my iPhone 5S.

I had used every iPhone from the very first and had only dabbled in any of the android phones. I looked at the 6Plus several times and looked at several Android models.

I really feel in love with the Note 4. I love the S pen, I love the feel. I don't think I can live without a removable battery anymore. 3 gigs of ram vs. 1? It really wasn't a hard choice at all.

I'm stilling loving the Note 4 and agree it's a superior phone to the 6+. There are some things I miss with the IPhone, but as I learn new ways to work with Android those issues lessen. I for one, am very happy with my choice. Note 4 for the win.
    02-11-2015 03:55 PM
68 123