Can I get some help programming my Note 4?

Jhett

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Need help "programming" my Note 4

Greetings;
I seem to recall reading where people have set things up on their Note 4's so that if they are connected to a home WiFi the phone will take certain actions and if connected to work WiFi, it will take other actions. Is this all a figment of my imagination? I can't seem to find any information about this. What I would like to do is set it up that that if I am at home, and connected to my home WiFi network, the data connection is turned off and my lock screen does not engage. Thoughts?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Need help "programming" my Note 4

First app that comes to mind is Tasker. Lots of YouTube videos on how to set it up, and way X works, and way Y that works better than X, etc.

sly11

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Use settings and search (my place)or go to widget and it's called my place

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Tasker takes a bit of learning, but if you want a lot of control over the phone, it's worth the $3 and the weeks of reading and experimenting.

My phone disables wifi and enables mobile data when I leave home. It also disables USB debugging. It turns GPS on when I run Maps. It changes the screen timeout depending on which app is in the foreground. (I may spend 3 minutes reading a web page, but I want a 30 second timeout normally.) You can't completely rewrite Android with it, or even write a complex app, but it's as close to writing your own apps as you're going to get. And learning to write Tasker apps is actually learning a little computer programming, so if you ever decide you want to do that, you'll understand what you're trying to learn. (Learning a programming language isn't learning how to break a solution down into logical steps - which is what you do with Tasker, and what programming is.)

Don't let it throw you, though. First, there are a lot of Tasker scripts you can find on the web for a lot of different tasks. Second, some tasks can be 2 or 3 lines and can save you a lot of manually doing things. (Look in the Play Store for Tasker and you'll see a lot of free add-ons. If you buy Tasker, install all the free ones, especially the Secure Settings plugin.)

Jhett

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

Thank you, guys. Tasker was the one I was looking for. I went ahead and bought it and have even set up a couple of tasks. Another question I ahve about this is, will using this application to manage other applications save battery life. For example, I want to shut off mobile data when I am on wifi at home and work. Will this result in enough of a battery savings to be worth the effort?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thank you, guys. Tasker was the one I was looking for. I went ahead and bought it and have even set up a couple of tasks. Another question I ahve about this is, will using this application to manage other applications save battery life. For example, I want to shut off mobile data when I am on wifi at home and work. Will this result in enough of a battery savings to be worth the effort?

I wouldn't kill mobile data, but you can set it up so that when you are near certain cell towers (you cell needs to do this anyway) that you turn on wifi. Once you are connected, your phone's wifi radios will trump the cell radios.

For me, I could set it up for towers, but there was always another one my phone was seeing that I couldn't add to the list...it would always disconnect. So instead, I set a specific time that I would be home, and used that.