is rooting worth it

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Only if you want to freeze bloatware or flash custom ROMS. There are some themes and apps that require root. I don't plan to. I got over rooting with my GS3 and Nexus 7. I found that most custom ROMS have bugs. I also don't care about the bloatware. It doesn't bother me.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Rooting will only benefit you if are advanced in adjusting the inner workings of the phone and even then you don't get much. Bloat can be diabled and pretty much forgotten about. I rooted my old G3 and had nothing but problems before adjusting anything. Just not worth it on these new devices.

calebleesdad

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm considering rooting, but only after lollipop update. I don't mind the bloat (not pressing for space with 128gb card) but would like to use file explorer to easily navigate to and shift/erase files as needed.

Posted via the Android Central App

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
l rooted when I got my phone. I'm on Fire Kat V9. Loving X posed. No ads on YouTube. No ads on Pandora and Unlimited skips.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Can't live without it. I usually base my purchase decisions upon whether or not root is available/achieved for a device. With the Nexus line I didn't have to worry but now with the way Google is going with "Material Design" I'm starting to hate stock Lollipop so I'm happy to be on a Touchwiz based phone . . . Oh the irony . . . In any event, I'm on AT&T and I purchased a T-Mobile Note 4 outright just to get root. My Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 tablet was rooted within a few hours of purchase LOL.

I'd say that if you have to ask then don't bother since as others have stated it would end up requiring more attention to modifications/apps that you install to get the various desired outcomes. There's no point in biting off more than you bargained for if the gains are going to be minimal for you.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
If I had Full Access to my OWN SD card to be able to write /delete as needed... If I could use Dropsync directly.... If I could use my OTG cable as intended or simply put a backup program on the phone, I would not root... HOWEVER... Since I am not able to do so, I am forced to root in order to use and enjoy my phone as I intended to.

Which by the way... Has anyone seen anything with regards to a root solution for Verizon...? as of yet I have not rooted...

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't rooting invalidate your warranty?

Depends. Chainfire developed an app called Triangle Away that I used to reset the counter on my S3 when I returned ot to stock. Not sure if it works on devices with Knox. Used it on my S3 before I updated it to 4.3 and knox.

I rooted both my G2 and G3 but ended up returning both of those to stock when I traded both in for different phones. Didn't use Triangle Away on either (not sure if it even works on those) ATT took them back without checking them.

I won't be rooting my Note 4. I'm tired of dealing with buggy custome ROMS, don't care about the bloatware and while it was fun learning how to flash different kernels and tweaking them in the end it didn't make all that big of a difference to me. Not trying to use this to land on Mars......Experimenting with xposed and the modules was fun though

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Depends. Chainfire developed an app called Triangle Away that I used to reset the counter on my S3 when I returned ot to stock. Not sure if it works on devices with Knox. Used it on my S3 before I updated it to 4.3 and knox.

I rooted both my G2 and G3 but ended up returning both of those to stock when I traded both in for different phones. Didn't use Triangle Away on either (not sure if it even works on those) ATT took them back without checking them.

I won't be rooting my Note 4. I'm tired of dealing with buggy custome ROMS, don't care about the bloatware and while it was fun learning how to flash different kernels and tweaking them in the end it didn't make all that big of a difference to me. Not trying to use this to land on Mars......Experimenting with xposed and the modules was fun though

Thanks! I am not rooting mine either, I'm quite happy with my powerhouse as it is.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I am not rooting mine either, I'm quite happy with my powerhouse as it is.

Another reason I won't root and tinker anymore. Rooting in and of itself won't mess up the device. It's the tinkering that does. I paid too much for this one to brick it. I came close a couple of times. Luckily I figured out how to fix my mistakes. Plenty of horror stories on XDA forums of people dicking their devices up.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I look at rooting phones the way I look at tuning/modding daily driven cars.

When you're young and have lots and lots of free time and no real drags on your disposable income, its a lot of fun. You learn a lot about your car phone because you're always working on it (funny thing about modded cars phones, they never seem to be as reliable as stock) and you like being able to brag to your friends about all the cool stuff you've done to the car phone that makes it "better" than their car phones. Then they get in their car and drive to work in the snow and rain just like you do, only they don't have to worry about dragging the suspension over the speed bump in the parking lot, or beating a bend out of the custom wheel after hitting a pothole. Then they make a phone call, send a text, or use the stock browser and don't have to fiddle with any settings or reboot the phone twice because the radio didn't reload properly with the custom ROM.

Yeah, rooting is cool at first. You get to do a lot more stuff to your phone that you normally would. But then you wake up one day and realize you spend more time working ON your phone than you do using it, and you finally understand firsthand what your econ professor was trying to explain all those years ago about the "cost/benefit" ratio.

Today, I like my phones like I like my daily drivers. Bone stock.

philip42

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I rooted my S4 but not touching my Note 4. With the S4 I tried a few custom roms but they all had bugs and various things not working. I don't get this installing a rom but wifi isn't working or the camera crashes and this is released with this thing knowingly not working. I'm sure it's not easy making a custom rom but I don't see the point if they don't fully work properly. Also,when put back to stock everything isn't back to normal. The knox flag has been tripped and the warranty may or may not be invalid. Better off leaving well enough alone to be honest.

philip42

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I look at rooting phones the way I look at tuning/modding daily driven cars.

When you're young and have lots and lots of free time and no real drags on your disposable income, its a lot of fun. You learn a lot about your car phone because you're always working on it (funny thing about modded cars phones, they never seem to be as reliable as stock) and you like being able to brag to your friends about all the cool stuff you've done to the car phone that makes it "better" than their car phones. Then they get in their car and drive to work in the snow and rain just like you do, only they don't have to worry about dragging the suspension over the speed bump in the parking lot, or beating a bend out of the custom wheel after hitting a pothole. Then they make a phone call, send a text, or use the stock browser and don't have to fiddle with any settings or reboot the phone twice because the radio didn't reload properly with the custom ROM.

Yeah, rooting is cool at first. You get to do a lot more stuff to your phone that you normally would. But then you wake up one day and realize you spend more time working ON your phone than you do using it, and you finally understand firsthand what your econ professor was trying to explain all those years ago about the "cost/benefit" ratio.

Today, I like my phones like I like my daily drivers. Bone stock.

Very good analogy.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I want to root just to enable Adaway to block ads.

I can do this with my iPad/iPhone by installing a hosts file. It blocks ads in apps and in all browsers. I want the same on my phone.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I want to root just to enable Adaway to block ads.

I can do this with my iPad/iPhone by installing a hosts file. It blocks ads in apps and in all browsers. I want the same on my phone.

How do you do this on the iPad or should I go over to the iMore forum......................I am serious though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084