is rooting worth it

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
I had to charge my phone 2 to 3 times a day before I rooted and flashed cm. Now I only maybe have to charge once.

Sent from my T-Mobile Nexus 4 LTE using Tapatalk

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I really don't get the point of rooting unless you really like to tinker with the your phone. But beyond that I don't see the point. If you want to root for just the cutomization then think about trying one of those really expensive launchers like next launcher or tsf. You can avoid the pain of rooting and flashing roms and screwing up your phone. If you don't have the dough for the launchers be sure to sign up of Google rewards. ...I'm upto $6 on Google play credit after a month and a half. But more power to you and all the other people who decide to root.

I am in the process of making my Note 4 self aware.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'll have to google it. Thanks. Even with jail breaking are customization possibilities limited?
There are themes and other things you can do.

This is actually off topic for this forum. iMore isn't a very busy forum to talk about this but MacRumors has a jailbreaking forum and lots of people there.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
There are themes and other things you can do.

This is actually off topic for this forum. iMore isn't a very busy forum to talk about this but MacRumors has a jailbreaking forum and lots of people there.

Thanks. You are correct. Will go over there and research

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I really don't get the point of rooting unless you really like to tinker with the your phone. But beyond that I don't see the point. If you want to root for just the cutomization then think about trying one of those really expensive launchers like next launcher or tsf. You can avoid the pain of rooting and flashing roms and screwing up your phone. If you don't have the dough for the launchers be sure to sign up of Google rewards. ...I'm upto $6 on Google play credit after a month and a half. But more power to you and all the other people who decide to root.

I am in the process of making my Note 4 self aware.

Rooting is definitely not for everyone. I have the Note 4 and Nexus 6. I won't root the Note but my Nexus stays on Chroma. All it does is add options to stock Android you wish were there from the start. I can turn off the notification banners, include a battery indicator, move the clock around, separate my ringtone from my notifications, added double tap to wake, and activated the notification light. For the Nexus, it was well worth it.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
It's not necessarily about tinkering and you certainly don't have to flash a custom ROM. Many root just to obtain full administrator access to the device to be able to make a few simple changes you otherwise wouldn't be able to do. One that has been mentioned a few times here is ad blocking via a custom hosts file. In order to do that you need the proper permissions (write/modify) to that system file, which root access provides. Another one I mentioned previously is re-enabling infinite scrolling of home screens and app drawer, which is also just simply modifying a system file. Again same thing if you wish to kill the OTA updater (although there's a non-root method now for the Note 4. See my previous post). So root access just gives you more options if you want/need them. :)

I completely understand.

Ambivalencetech

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. Rooting is nice is you know and want the benefits it brings. I wanted unlimited tethering, spotify in tablet mode (play any song and not just shuffle in unpaid version), no ads, ability to lock apps, volume up button as a torch when the screen is locked (pretty handy) and generally overall admin access. There're so many tweaks. Without knowing or desiring the benefits it's really not worth the time, effort and the risk.

Posted via the Android Central App

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Another main reason for me to root is Titanium Backup. I have scheduled backups and keep 2 copies of every app. This way if an update ever borks an app I have a way to recover a usable copy. Don't even mention Helium as an option because I've had way too many times when it refused to restore a backup to rely on it. There are also some 'Kill Application' actions I use in AutomateIt Pro that need root to work. The Screen Off Plug in in AutomateIt Pro needs root also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Dan Else Mayuga

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
It is if you really needed it to be rooted. I rooted my Lenovo Yoga 2 1050L for just two reasons. 1 - To use the external SD card for installed games. 2- To use my DS3 controller to play games via bluetooth. Just that and Im really happy with it.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
is rooting worth it

"Yes, it is."
"No it's not!"
"Yes... it really is."
"No, honestly, you shouldn't do it!"
"Why not?"
"Do you like bricks?"
"Bricks? What do bricks have to do with it? I'm confused!"
"Well, imagine if the root doesn't go right. You get a brick."
"What the heck are you talking about?"
"Brick... you know... "brick"... brick your phone!"
"Oh, that brick! Oh, ok, I guess I won't root then."
"Why not? Go for it!"
"Huh? You were just saying not to root!"
"So what, you're gonna listen to me?"

I'm bored! :cool:

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
"Yes, it is."
"No it's not!"
"Yes... it really is."
"No, honestly, you shouldn't do it!"
"Why not?"
"Do you like bricks?"
"Bricks? What do bricks have to do with it? I'm confused!"
"Well, imagine if the root doesn't go right. You get a brick."
"What the heck are you talking about?"
"Brick... you know... "brick"... brick your phone!"
"Oh, that brick! Oh, ok, I guess I won't root then."
"Why not? Go for it!"
"Huh? You were just saying not to root!"
"So what, you're gonna listen to me?"

I'm bored! :cool:
This applies to sooooo many topics.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Wow, thread archaeology... Love it.

Hmm, I see that I answered back in February.... Has 6 months changed my opinion? Nope. Still can't live without it.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2