I do often fall asleep while some stream is running in the background, have happened some few times now. Will this affect the battery? Or does the phone turn of its self to prevent to drain all battery that's left?

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-10-2015 05:40 AM
    From what I understand you should not let the battery run all the way down all of the time. It could ruin the battery. I charge my battery when it get's somewhere under 40 percent.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    02-10-2015 05:43 AM
    I wouldn't say it was dangerous, but probably not a good habit.

I'd imagine that the circuits inside will shutdown the phone before any battery damage (cell reversal) is caused by fully draining the battery.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    02-10-2015 05:56 AM
    It's okay. The 0% is really not 0% anyway.

Large depth of discharge (DoD) does impact battery capacity, but Note 4 has a replaceable battery, so no fuss.
    02-10-2015 06:29 AM
    Definitely not dangerous, though as said above, not the best for the battery

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    02-10-2015 09:50 AM
    I read somewhere that fully discharged lithium batteries can explode when connected to a charger again. Or is it not true?
    02-10-2015 10:27 AM
    I read somewhere that fully discharged lithium batteries can explode when connected to a charger again. Or is it not true?
    This has been the case with some variants of lithium based cells, go check some YouTube vids out, but all modern mobile phone batteries won't fully discharge to the point of no return. They are very safe.
    Ntchwaidumela and D Android like this.
    02-10-2015 10:46 AM
    Who cares if it shortens the life span of the battery?? Enjoy your phone and if a year down the road you need to spend $20 for a new one, so be it! If you constantly do it, MAYBE it will shorten the life of it, but don't let it bug you!
    02-10-2015 11:01 AM
    I'd say once a month no big deal it may help allow the battery to reset

posted with my note 4
    02-10-2015 01:07 PM
    I was under the impression that if you never let it go to zero and die that it will actually hurt the battery life and that's its good practice to let it got to zero often to keep a full range of life. I can tell when its time to reset the battery because I will notice that when it gets low you see faster drops in percentage and it doesn't last as long anymore.
    02-10-2015 06:24 PM
    I was under the impression that if you never let it go to zero and die that it will actually hurt the battery life and that's its good practice to let it got to zero often to keep a full range of life. I can tell when its time to reset the battery because I will notice that when it gets low you see faster drops in percentage and it doesn't last as long anymore.
    That may have been true for older/different types of batteries, but I was under the impression that the newer li/ion batteries didn't have a "memory" like what you seem to be referring to and that it was best to not let them run down too much, if possible.

Worth confirming with latest info, because one of use clearly is in the wrong now!
    02-11-2015 03:13 PM
    For my last few phones I've had an extra battery. I always let it drain to zero before I put in the fresh battery. A few years I've done it this way with no ill effects.

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-12-2015 02:02 PM
    It is not dangerous, there is a lot of safety factor built into the battery circuitry. As someone else mentioned, "0" is not really "0" it is "lowest voltage deemed safe for maintaining battery integrity."

Running down to 0 a lot will reduce the service life of the battery, that's about it. Since you can buy replacement batteries when this happens, it is basically a non-factor. When your battery starts having noticeably shorter "up" times, then you know its time to start thinking about buying another one.

Enjoy using your phone the way you prefer.
    natehoy likes this.
    02-12-2015 02:15 PM
    You know how I know when it's time to charge the battery? The phone tells me so. I've never fully discharged my battery, but I've let it go as low as 4%.
    My Android sucks likes this.
    02-12-2015 02:44 PM
    I'm letting mine run down to the "phone shutting off" point for a couple more times (first time was today), but that's in the possibly obsolete belief that this serves some purpose in battery calibration.

After that, my intention is to keep the battery charged per the dictates of my personal convenience. This is based on the simple fact that I left the the "non-removable battery phone universe" (two iterations of the otherwise-stellar Moto X) so I didn't HAVE to worry about tiny accumulations of battery damage over time leading to a phone that can't hold a useful charge in a year and a half. I'll just order a $30 replacement and start over.
    02-12-2015 02:44 PM
    I'm letting mine run down to the "phone shutting off" point for a couple more times (first time was today), but that's in the possibly obsolete belief that this serves some purpose in battery calibration.
    You are correct, that kind of "break in" is not necessary with lithium batteries.
    02-12-2015 03:00 PM
    You are correct, that kind of "break in" is not necessary with lithium batteries.
    The new lithium batteries don't require this type of break-in. A few years ago, they did.
    02-12-2015 03:34 PM
    It doesn't hurt to let it die
    02-15-2015 12:27 PM
    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._ion_batteries

Read that, it will tell you. You can find out everything you want about batteries here.
    02-15-2015 04:59 PM
    These days, you can let them run down to whatever percentage you want. I let mine get down to about 5% and then I charge them. You will not damage the battery by charging it whenever you want.
    02-15-2015 05:24 PM
    The issue i have is some factory in Vietnam which produces samsung phones ships them with 0% charge meaning while it is sitting in the warehouse at amazon (mine was manufactured in dec 2015) it naturally switches off and inable to turn on without plugging in charger. How much long term damage would have been caused to the (non-removable) battery if the protection circuit has already put the battery into sleep mode cos it fell below 0%?

This is my 4th replacement phone. The 1st one had same issue came with 0% and had been made 3 months before. The next 2 were ok (diff factory charged to 60% upon shipping) and this 1 came from same original factory. I could tell by the imei sticker on the box cos their attached differently.

Im just concerner about the damage caused. Leaving it to drop to 0 and switch off then charge next day is not gona do much damage but if it's been sitting in a warehouse for months at less than 0 i.e. switched off how much damage will there be?
    11-23-2016 06:22 AM
    The only danger I've seen on this forum is that there have been more than a lot of posts where the OS corrupted due to the phone dying because of the battery being totally discharged. Now, if you don't consider that dangerous, then by all means, continue as you are.
    11-25-2016 09:05 PM
    If a lithium battery reaches true 0%, then it's irreversibly discharged and you can't recharge it. The 0% that the phone reads is purposely not true 0% -- the phone will automatically shut down before the battery is completely drained in order to protect it. So it's true that if you drain the battery to 0% as the phone reports it, you won't damage the battery immediately. But if you make a habit of this, you will see the battery life deteriorate more quickly than if you regularly start recharging around 20-30%. Considering that most batteries are not user-removable, it's a good idea to avoid regular deep discharges.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-26-2016 01:01 AM