If battery issue, delete cache, fixed my battery issue

smooth2222

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to let people know if they have a battery issue to delete there cache on the phone, just do a search how to clear note 4 cache, i,m sure someone on the forum will post the instructions.

I,m back to my 2-3 days between charges, but i,m sure most of you use the phone more than me.

But i was down to 1 day for about a month, once i deleted the system cache back to 2-3 days.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
To wipe the cache partition, follow these steps:
1. Turn the device off.
2. Press and hold the following three buttons at the same time:
• Volume Up key
• Home key
• Power key.
3. When the phone vibrates, release the Power and Home key but continue to press and hold the Volume Up key.
4. Continue holding the Volume Up key until the Android System Recovery menu displays and then release. This step may take several seconds.
5. Press the Volume Down key to highlight 'wipe cache partition.'
6. Press the Power key to select.
7. When the wipe cache partition is complete, 'Reboot system now' is highlighted.
8. Press the Power key to restart the device.

piinkRainbowz

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks!!!!!!

My battery life was draining too fast and this fixed it and I'm back to leaving my phone unplugged and waking up with 88-90ish percent after 8hrs.

I guess I can do this once a month or every other month.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
1. Turn the device off.
• Volume Up key
• Home key
• Power key.
3. When the phone vibrates, release the Power and Home key but continue to press and hold the Volume Up key.
4. Continue holding the Volume Up key until the Android System Recovery menu displays and then release. This step may take several seconds.
7. When the wipe cache partition is complete, 'Reboot system now' is highlighted.

How often do you recommend we do this? is there an app that can do this automatically?

and oh is the whole "cache" build up problem with all Android phones?

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
How often do you recommend we do this? is there an app that can do this automatically?

and oh is the whole "cache" build up problem with all Android phones?

You should only have to do it when you notice issues like performance problems - and it may or may not help. It is common across Android devices, e.g. on my 2012 & 2013 Nexus 7 tablets.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
1. Turn the device off.
• Volume Up key
• Home key
• Power key.
I have never actually done this before, but see it recommended all the time. So even though I don't have any issues with my phone, I thought I would try it, just as Synycalwon said above, more as preventative maintenance. Seems really awkward to hold all three of those buttons.....but I did it and was successful.....kind of scary stuff to see the screen in that mode! I guess in a big way, it's like clearing all the temp cache etc. on my desktop with Ccleaner

spotnjack

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
1. Turn the device off.
• Volume Up key
• Home key
• Power key.

Thanks for posting the instructions, especially so early in the thread. I see it recommended all the time, but the "how to" portion of the recommendation is usually left out.

spotnjack

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I have never actually done this before, but see it recommended all the time. So even though I don't have any issues with my phone, I thought I would try it, just as Synycalwon said above, more as preventative maintenance. Seems really awkward to hold all three of those buttons.....but I did it and was successful.....kind of scary stuff to see the screen in that mode! I guess in a big way, it's like clearing all the temp cache etc. on my desktop with Ccleaner

I, also, usually do this once a month or so under normal operating conditions. If I've deleted an app or two that seem to have adversely affected battery life, I'll do it after deleting the apps also.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for posting the instructions, especially so early in the thread. I see it recommended all the time, but the "how to" portion of the recommendation is usually left out.

Yeah, it was one of those things that I always had to search for when I wanted to do it. It's not what you would call intuitively obvious; if I had added a "Stand on one foot" step it would not look out of place.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
1.Turn the device off.
2.Press and hold the following three buttons at the same time:
•Volume Up key
•Home key
•Power key.
3.When the phone vibrates, release the Power and Home key but continue to press and hold the Volume Up key.
4.Continue holding the Volume Up key until the Android System Recovery menu displays and then release. This step may take several seconds.
5.Press the Volume Down key to highlight 'wipe cache partition.'
6.Press the Power key to select.
7.When the wipe cache partition is complete, 'Reboot system now' is highlighted.
8.Press the Power key to restart the device.

Thanks for the tip but how is this process different/better than clearing the cache in the Storage settings (in the attached image, click the Cached Data section, then click OK)?

Does it delete a different cache? Is it a more effective delete (i.e. is able to delete more since full android is not running)?

Attachments

• 1424099499369.jpg
    1424099499369.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 267

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tip but how is this process different/better than clearing the cache in the Storage settings (in the attached image, click the Cached Data section, then click OK)?

Does it delete a different cache? Is it a more effective delete (i.e. is able to delete more since full android is not running)?

It is different - that is cached app data as opposed to cached system data. What you are pointing to is a global app cache clear, the equivalent of going into every app info and clearing its cache.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
It is different - that is cached app data as opposed to cached system data. What you are pointing to is a global app cache clear, the equivalent of going into every app info and clearing its cache.

Ah, ok. Good to know.

I never knew about this method. Will have to try that.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Is there a down side to clearing cache?
What are you losing or erasing by doing this?

Not to clearing the cache partition (system cache). Clearing app cache can mean that an app may take slightly longer to load next time it is run as it rebuilds any cache data. You're not really losing anything as cache data is just temporary data stored by an app or the system.

chubby22

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Battery life was in the range of lasting 12-18 hrs... Performed the partition wipe as you suggested, and these past few days battery been lasting 24hrs plus, on a consistent basis. Right now sitting on 47% 24hrs30min... Best I got so far before charging, was 37hrs 22min, and still had 16% left... Very Impressed I am... And good suggestion...

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Battery life was in the range of lasting 12-18 hrs... Performed the partition wipe as you suggested, and these past few days battery been lasting 24hrs plus, on a consistent basis. Right now sitting on 47% 24hrs30min... Best I got so far before charging, was 37hrs 22min, and still had 16% left... Very Impressed I am... And good suggestion...

Good deal - excellent feedback on the usefulness of doing this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2