I am deciding between the s5 and the note4, i have seen neither up close. With this new fandangled wireless charging it sounds like there is now circuitry in the back cover. Is this true? I need to be able to hook up an external antenna, more often than not. The s3 and s4 had plastic back covers and drilling a hole was easy. Is any of this wireless charging circuitry located above the note4's antenna port? If i drill a 3mm hole above the port what will be the consequences? I really do not desire wireless charging as much as i need external antenna port access, so I am ok with loosing that option and would love to find a plane plastic cover without the circuitry (does that exist?).

Many thanks,
    02-11-2015 09:19 AM
    If you get a Note 4 without a wireless charging back, you still have the same old piece of plastic. Then, if you want wireless charging, you can get a Qi receiver that sits on the battery (and has contacts to connect to those little dots near the battery) for about $10.
    02-11-2015 09:25 AM
    Here you go. This is what you have to work with. The back is plastic, hole would not be an issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Wireless charging circuitry? Can I drill a hole in the back of a note4?-img_0448.jpg   Wireless charging circuitry? Can I drill a hole in the back of a note4?-img_0449.jpg  
    02-11-2015 09:58 AM
    Yes, you can drill up to a 1 inch hole, 1/4 inch deep. You'll get better results drilling through the screen though.
    02-11-2015 03:33 PM
    Rukbat,
    Thanks, that helps a great deal. Looking on the web i only saw photos of the self charging back. Perfect.

Chuck Young,
    Thanks for the photos!!!! that helps. Thanks for taking the time to post them.
    Sadly, i do not see the familiar black stickers covering the miniRF antenna ports I saw on the s2, 3 and 4. Bummer.
    02-11-2015 07:27 PM
    on second thought,
    based on this photo,
    Wireless charging circuitry? Can I drill a hole in the back of a note4?-samsung-galaxy-s5-test-cable-external-antenna-mating-interface-coupled.jpg
    from here
    www telcoantennas com au/site/patch-lead-samsung-galaxy-s5
    it might be in that gray patch above the speaker (?).
    02-11-2015 07:40 PM
    Guess what? I think you will like this petecadmus:

Wireless charging circuitry? Can I drill a hole in the back of a note4?-img_0453.jpg

Why I think I will be drilling a hole in my Note 4 pretty soon. lol

I would love too add a high gain antenna to my rig. Where I work is deep in a valley between two mountains with ZERO signal but I may be able to come up with a solution with this information. Thanks for bringing this up petecadmus. Just need a real high gain directional antenna or an antenna feed through a single mode fiber. Don't know about that last one, never seen that one before. Given I use a Gear S with my Note 4 it would be the perfect answer.

So I use the original cover that came with the phone and there is no circuitry in the cover at all. The charging pad came from Amazon. Even got a free tempered glass screen protector as a gift I guess. Just make sure the one you get is thin so the original back fits back on and of course then any case fits without trouble to.
    02-11-2015 09:44 PM
    Yes you can drill a hole in the battery door cover for the external antenna access. You can also remove the battery door all together and just use a case. Possibly not all cases will work, but the ones I did worked

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    02-12-2015 09:47 AM