12-21-2016 09:28 AM
46 12
tools
    Other than calling or going to a Verizon store, is there a way to check to see if my Note 4 is actually unlocked? When I bought the phone a month ago I paid full price (because of grand-fathered unlimited data) and no mention was made of the phone being unlocked.

I was wondering if there is some way (on the phone) to check?
    02-12-2015 11:56 AM
    I am pretty sure any Verizon phone is unlocked since they had an agreement in place to get some 700mhz they had to sell their phones unlocked I believe .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    02-12-2015 11:57 AM
    The Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is factory sim unlocked. If you want to check, pop in an active sim from a gsm carrier. There is no indication in the software or settings that would let you know this

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    02-12-2015 12:41 PM
    As far as I know, your options would be to talk to Verizon, or jack in a non-Verizon SIM and see if you get signal (or a prompt for an unlock code).
    02-12-2015 12:42 PM
    So I have a Verizon Note 4 I got on contract...After 2 yrs, can I unlock it? I mean I was under the impression that Verizon phones can't be unlocked and consequently can't work with GSM carriers!

please explain this to me.
    02-12-2015 07:38 PM
    So I have a Verizon Note 4 I got on contract...After 2 yrs, can I unlock it? I mean I was under the impression that Verizon phones can't be unlocked and consequently can't work with GSM carriers!

please explain this to me.
    Verizon phones are unlocked because a deal with the FCC. They typically have GSM antenna so you can use the phone internationally but they should work on t-mobile or AT&T 2G network at least .

02-12-2015 07:52 PM
    Verizon phones are unlocked because a deal with the FCC. They typically have GSM antenna so you can use the phone internationally but they should work on t-mobile or AT&T 2G network at least .

So u saying by default, verizon phones are unlocked even if we get 'em on contract? like with AT&T/T-mobile, @ the end of contract we have to call in a request an unlock code, we don't do that with verizon?
    02-12-2015 09:27 PM
    So u saying by default, verizon phones are unlocked even if we get 'em on contract? like with AT&T/T-mobile, @ the end of contract we have to call in a request an unlock code, we don't do that with verizon?
    No I am 99% sure any phone Verizon sells that uses he 700mhz band 13 frequency has to be unlocked which was a condition on the sale of part of the 700mhz frequency that Verizon had to do .

02-12-2015 09:30 PM

Is this the deal with ANY verizon phone, or just all verizon phones EXCEPT the iphone?
    Does Apple make a separate iphone for verizon?
    02-12-2015 10:34 PM
    Is this the deal with ANY verizon phone, or just all verizon phones EXCEPT the iphone?
    Does Apple make a separate iphone for verizon?
    No the iPhone is also factory unlocked for Verizon as well . They used the same model for Verizon , AT&T and t-mobile but had to make s different model for sprint . You can in theory get a Verizon iPhone 6 or 6 plus and use it on basically any carrier other then sprint in the United States

02-12-2015 10:36 PM
    No I am 99% sure any phone Verizon sells that uses he 700mhz band 13 frequency has to be unlocked which was a condition on the sale of part of the 700mhz frequency that Verizon had to do .

The fcc requirement is that VERIZON WIRELESS doesn't do anything to block device usage. It does not apply to manufacturers who can block to their hearts content. My old droid razr maxx cannot be used on usa networks, neither can my moto luge, which was launched in August 2014. It can be hacked to work on att and tmobile though, cannot do it out of the box.

With that said, most recent phones are factory sim unlocked. But it depends on the specific model.

As said before, the note 4 is factory sim unlocked.

Even unlocked, USA networks can be blocked(as with my moto droid razr maxx and moto luge) , and on top of that, the usa apns can be locked, meaning no data (as with the note 2 at release, though this restriction was removed after an update). The s3 I believe was factory locked, but later unlocked via update.

Almeuit and rick10254 like this.
    02-13-2015 08:56 AM
    What dpham said is correct.
    02-13-2015 12:38 PM
    The guy I got my old verizon g3 from, was using a tmobile and att Sim in it. Worked fine.

Sent from my glorious note 4.
    02-14-2015 03:20 PM
    The fcc requirement is that VERIZON WIRELESS doesn't do anything to block device usage. It does not apply to manufacturers who can block to their hearts content. My old droid razr maxx cannot be used on usa networks, neither can my moto luge, which was launched in August 2014. It can be hacked to work on att and tmobile though, cannot do it out of the box.

With that said, most recent phones are factory sim unlocked. But it depends on the specific model.

As said before, the note 4 is factory sim unlocked.

Even unlocked, USA networks can be blocked(as with my moto droid razr maxx and moto luge) , and on top of that, the usa apns can be locked, meaning no data (as with the note 2 at release, though this restriction was removed after an update). The s3 I believe was factory locked, but later unlocked via update.

I don't remember what it was but either way why would the manufacture lock phones ? It's the carrier who wants it not Samsung or HTC or etc

02-14-2015 08:18 PM
    I'm pretty sure that the phone has to be completely paid for before it can be unlocked; just like you are saying about AT&T & T-Mobile. I seem to remember reading about this a couple days ago.
    02-14-2015 09:14 PM
    I'm pretty sure that the phone has to be completely paid for before it can be unlocked; just like you are saying about AT&T & T-Mobile. I seem to remember reading about this a couple days ago.
    The Verizon note 4 and iPhone are unlocked even when on contract ...

02-14-2015 09:16 PM
    02-14-2015 09:24 PM
    So my Verizon Note 2 can accept a T-Mobile Sim and work? Would I get T-Mobile 3g, 4g or LTE?
    How about ATT?

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-19-2015 09:25 AM
    So my Verizon Note 2 can accept a T-Mobile Sim and work? Would I get T-Mobile 3g, 4g or LTE?
    How about ATT?

2G on both probably

berdinkerdickle likes this.
    02-19-2015 09:26 AM
    What about the Verizon Note 4?
    Can it get 3g or better on T-Mobile or Att?

Edit; I reread the previous posts.
    It appears only 2g with the Note 4 also.

02-19-2015 09:37 AM
    Mine works on LTE I am in Portland / Vancouver area, have had no issues at all, yes I have the Verizon Note 4, and swap Sims alot, and my tmobile sim works perfectly, just have to change the apn to the tmobile settings.

02-19-2015 02:53 PM
    Mine works on LTE I am in Portland / Vancouver area, have had no issues at all, yes I have the Verizon Note 4, and swap Sims alot, and my tmobile sim works perfectly, just have to change the apn to the tmobile settings.

Wait I am confused!

u bought a verizon Note 4 and using it on T-mobile?
    How do you change apn settings in your phone?
    02-19-2015 04:59 PM
    Wait I am confused!

u bought a verizon Note 4 and using it on T-mobile?
    How do you change apn settings in your phone?
    The SIM card should update it once you pop it in. My iPhone 6 + is a Verizon iPhone (technically) -- I just popped in a T-Mobile SIM and it connected right up.
    02-19-2015 05:03 PM
    The SIM card should update it once you pop it in. My iPhone 6 + is a Verizon iPhone (technically) -- I just popped in a T-Mobile SIM and it connected right up.
    oh ok gotcha...you still get the LTE with T-mobile on your verizon iphone?
    02-19-2015 05:19 PM
    oh ok gotcha...you still get the LTE with T-mobile on your verizon iphone?
    Yeah. iPhones are pretty much all the same. The only difference is the GSM versions only have GSM radios .. the CDMA one (such as Verizon) has all the same GSM radios .. just has CDMA for Verizon.
    02-19-2015 05:28 PM
46 12