Verizon Note 4 Unlock

bpeter

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Other than calling or going to a Verizon store, is there a way to check to see if my Note 4 is actually unlocked? When I bought the phone a month ago I paid full price (because of grand-fathered unlimited data) and no mention was made of the phone being unlocked.

I was wondering if there is some way (on the phone) to check?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty sure any Verizon phone is unlocked since they had an agreement in place to get some 700mhz they had to sell their phones unlocked I believe .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is factory sim unlocked. If you want to check, pop in an active sim from a gsm carrier. There is no indication in the software or settings that would let you know this

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know, your options would be to talk to Verizon, or jack in a non-Verizon SIM and see if you get signal (or a prompt for an unlock code).

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
So I have a Verizon Note 4 I got on contract...After 2 yrs, can I unlock it? I mean I was under the impression that Verizon phones can't be unlocked and consequently can't work with GSM carriers!

please explain this to me.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
So I have a Verizon Note 4 I got on contract...After 2 yrs, can I unlock it? I mean I was under the impression that Verizon phones can't be unlocked and consequently can't work with GSM carriers!

please explain this to me.

Verizon phones are unlocked because a deal with the FCC. They typically have GSM antenna so you can use the phone internationally but they should work on t-mobile or AT&T 2G network at least .

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Verizon phones are unlocked because a deal with the FCC. They typically have GSM antenna so you can use the phone internationally but they should work on t-mobile or AT&T 2G network at least .

So u saying by default, verizon phones are unlocked even if we get 'em on contract? like with AT&T/T-mobile, @ the end of contract we have to call in a request an unlock code, we don't do that with verizon?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
So u saying by default, verizon phones are unlocked even if we get 'em on contract? like with AT&T/T-mobile, @ the end of contract we have to call in a request an unlock code, we don't do that with verizon?

No I am 99% sure any phone Verizon sells that uses he 700mhz band 13 frequency has to be unlocked which was a condition on the sale of part of the 700mhz frequency that Verizon had to do .

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site

Is this the deal with ANY verizon phone, or just all verizon phones EXCEPT the iphone?
Does Apple make a separate iphone for verizon?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Is this the deal with ANY verizon phone, or just all verizon phones EXCEPT the iphone?
Does Apple make a separate iphone for verizon?

No the iPhone is also factory unlocked for Verizon as well . They used the same model for Verizon , AT&T and t-mobile but had to make s different model for sprint . You can in theory get a Verizon iPhone 6 or 6 plus and use it on basically any carrier other then sprint in the United States

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
No I am 99% sure any phone Verizon sells that uses he 700mhz band 13 frequency has to be unlocked which was a condition on the sale of part of the 700mhz frequency that Verizon had to do .

The fcc requirement is that VERIZON WIRELESS doesn't do anything to block device usage. It does not apply to manufacturers who can block to their hearts content. My old droid razr maxx cannot be used on usa networks, neither can my moto luge, which was launched in August 2014. It can be hacked to work on att and tmobile though, cannot do it out of the box.

With that said, most recent phones are factory sim unlocked. But it depends on the specific model.

As said before, the note 4 is factory sim unlocked.

Even unlocked, USA networks can be blocked(as with my moto droid razr maxx and moto luge) , and on top of that, the usa apns can be locked, meaning no data (as with the note 2 at release, though this restriction was removed after an update). The s3 I believe was factory locked, but later unlocked via update.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
The fcc requirement is that VERIZON WIRELESS doesn't do anything to block device usage. It does not apply to manufacturers who can block to their hearts content. My old droid razr maxx cannot be used on usa networks, neither can my moto luge, which was launched in August 2014. It can be hacked to work on att and tmobile though, cannot do it out of the box.

With that said, most recent phones are factory sim unlocked. But it depends on the specific model.

As said before, the note 4 is factory sim unlocked.

Even unlocked, USA networks can be blocked(as with my moto droid razr maxx and moto luge) , and on top of that, the usa apns can be locked, meaning no data (as with the note 2 at release, though this restriction was removed after an update). The s3 I believe was factory locked, but later unlocked via update.

I don't remember what it was but either way why would the manufacture lock phones ? It's the carrier who wants it not Samsung or HTC or etc

spotnjack

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

I'm pretty sure that the phone has to be completely paid for before it can be unlocked; just like you are saying about AT&T & T-Mobile. I seem to remember reading about this a couple days ago.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that the phone has to be completely paid for before it can be unlocked; just like you are saying about AT&T & T-Mobile. I seem to remember reading about this a couple days ago.

The Verizon note 4 and iPhone are unlocked even when on contract ...

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
What about the Verizon Note 4?
Can it get 3g or better on T-Mobile or Att?

Edit; I reread the previous posts.
It appears only 2g with the Note 4 also.

Posted via the Android Central App