I'm trying to help out a friend with the mail problem she's having on her Galaxy Note 4, she has an email account which has been setup as part of her website; I'm not sure but it's probably whatever mail server is used as part of CentOS. The info from the instructions to setup mail on client software indicates that imap is supported and gives instructions on imap setup.

So she's got that mail account setup on her iMac in the Apple mail program as well as on the Note 4, both setup to use iMap; the problem is that when she deletes an email on the iMac it goes into junk on the computer but never gos into deleted items / junk on the phone and seems to stay perpetually in the inbox until the email ages out. Conversely, when she deletes an email on the Note 4 it does go from the inbox to junk / deleted items in the mail program on the iMac.

We spend an hour today trying various sync settings and repeatedly trying the manual sync / refresh button on the Note 4 and mail that was deleted on the iMac (in the Apple mail program) never left the inbox on the phone even though they were moved from the inbox on the iMac to deleted items / junk.

Has anyone ever see a problem like this? Have any idea what the issue could be?

Thanks,

- Norm
    02-12-2015 09:06 PM
    I use maildroid to overcome this issue. It has the option to delete on the device only leaving a copy on the IMAP server that will download to to Mac email when the mac is opened. If she sets up imap folders(on the email provider side) these will show up on both Mac and Note 4
    02-12-2015 10:48 PM
    Just so I understand, you're saying that this is some kind of bug or deficiency in the mail app in the version of Android that the Note 4 is running? So the best solution is to use a mail app that doesn't have this problem?
    02-12-2015 11:51 PM
    Just so I understand, you're saying that this is some kind of bug or deficiency in the mail app in the version of Android that the Note 4 is running? So the best solution is to use a mail app that doesn't have this problem?
    When I got my first android device in 2012 the native mail app on JellyBean could not (or at least I could not find a setting) keep IMAP mail on the server. Once deleted on the device it was gone. I found the maildroid app provided me with the setting to only delete on the device. I do not know if anything has changed, I still use maildroid. From what you said in your OP the option is either still not available or easily accessible
    02-13-2015 12:41 AM
    You're not understanding the issue. The problem they (and myself) are having is if you delete an email on an imap server on any device, it should be deleted on all devices. That's the purpose of imap. Otherwise you may as well use POP3.

It worked perfectly on my iPhone. But in 6 months I have not found a way to keep the folders synced on the Note 4. If I send to trash on the Note4 it properly is in the trash on my PC. But it doesn't work the other way around. So I have to delete emails twice if I check on my PC first.

Android hasn't figured out what imap is yet???
    06-08-2015 05:42 PM