I've seen reviewers rave about the Note 4 camera, but they do notice that Samsung has it set to crazily oversharpen photos (a software trick) to the point that it leaves artifacts if you zoom in.

So, is there a way around that? Can one install an aftermarket camera app that will shoot photos without much automatic post-processing crap?

Thanks
    02-16-2015 07:18 PM
    Try Open Camera. It's a much better camera app overall than the Samsung app (or any app that ships with a phone). And that's a free, no-frills app - there are probably much better ones out there if you're willing to spend $5-$10.
    02-16-2015 07:50 PM
    Thanks... I don't have the phone yet. Still waiting on some solid S6 specs releases before I decide. I great camera is at the top of my list.

In the mean time, I'm very impressed with the Note 4's camera .... just looking for a work around on that sharpening issue. Samsung probably over sharpens because joe blow is probably impressed by that kind of thing.... as he is with "punchy" colors that these cameras often blow out.
    02-17-2015 08:02 AM
    Thanks... I don't have the phone yet. Still waiting on some solid S6 specs releases before I decide. I great camera is at the top of my list.

In the mean time, I'm very impressed with the Note 4's camera .... just looking for a work around on that sharpening issue. Samsung probably over sharpens because joe blow is probably impressed by that kind of thing.... as he is with "punchy" colors that these cameras often blow out.
    If the average Joe likes over sharpened pictures and punchy colours then Samsung are going to cater for the majority and not the odd person who wants it a different way.you make it sound like what the average person wants is wrong and what you want is correct,but who sets the standards for what is better ? Sometimes retouched pictures look better than real life .

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-17-2015 09:07 AM
    Hopefully, we get RAW image capability with Lollipop on the Note 4. I use Photo Mate R2 on Canon RAW images and it does amazingly well compared to Adobe Lightroom on a PC:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ems.photomate2
    02-17-2015 09:11 AM
    It only matters because once Samsung fakes a photo through over sharpening and over-saturating, it can't be undone without degrading the photo further.

I understand that most people like candy even at the expense of honest clarity, I'm just seeking a way around that.

Seeking just the straight file from the sensor without people-pleasing, cute special effects.
    02-17-2015 09:22 AM
    RAW would be great!... interesting app, too (photo mate r2). Now that phone cameras are getting respectable, this is going to be interesting.

For now, I would be quite happy with just a straight JPEG without help from Crayola!
    02-17-2015 09:25 AM
    Try Snap Camera. Someone on XDA posted a guide on how to take the best pictures with the Note 4.

Edit: Here's the link.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/note...2#post58102192
    02-17-2015 09:55 AM
    I'll give it a shot (if I get the darn phone)... waiting on S6 specs before I decide.

That xda article answers my question.... it appears that 3rd party apps will indeed over-ride Samsung's decisions.

very cool

Thanks!
    02-17-2015 10:38 AM
    RAW would be great!... interesting app, too (photo mate r2). Now that phone cameras are getting respectable, this is going to be interesting.

For now, I would be quite happy with just a straight JPEG without help from Crayola!
    I saw noted elsewhere that for RAW functionality to work on the Note 4 under Lollipop that Samsung will also have to update their on-board drivers - so RAW support will not be a given.
    02-17-2015 05:18 PM
    Thanks sparksd.... RAW might be a little overkill. So no worries on that.

The camera on the Note 4 is amazing, but not THAT amazing.... no phone camera demands RAW in my opinion.

As long as I can get a nice, uncorrupted JPEG... I'm good
    02-17-2015 05:35 PM
    The Note 4/Edge camera does just fine if you're not affected by the focusing bug of the Note 4. IME it certainly doesn't oversharpen photos.

from the cutting edge...the Note Edge📱✒
    02-17-2015 05:58 PM