Does anyone turn their phones off or leave them on all the time?

I always wondered if leaving it on all the time reduced the life of the phone?
    02-16-2015 07:33 PM
    My phone is never off. It's my phone and I never turned off my land-line back in the day.
    02-16-2015 07:35 PM
    I never turn off my phone. It's my phone, computer, and alarm clock. It's by my side day and night.
    02-16-2015 07:37 PM
    The only time I turn my Note 4 off is if I need a good fast charge, takes a lot faster if the unit is off. Otherwise she is on all the time, 24/7.
    02-16-2015 07:38 PM
    I turn the phone off if the battery is probably going to drop below 40% while I'm asleep, but it's not low enough to charge when I go to sleep. Or when I'm switching batteries (I always have 2 batteries for a phone). Or in the rare instance that some hardware hangs.

Electronic parts don't wear out from being on, so the electronics in a phone should last a lot longer than you care about (I still have a couple of working MicroTACs - from around 1988 - they're museum pieces now, even if one has a battery that can still hold a charge for about 15 minutes of use).

So, yes, maybe if you leave your phone on all the time, it'll die in 2055 instead of 2053, but you'll be using an intelligent in-ear phone by then, so you won't care.

The battery is another story - if you treat it really well, it can last through almost 3,000 charge/discharge cycles - which is close to 10 years - before losing capacity, so if you turn it off every night, you'll make the battery last longer. But a new one in a phone with a user-replaceable battery (like the Note series) is $15 or less.
    02-16-2015 07:43 PM
    My phone is never off. As Rod Ruppenthal said, it's my phone, computer, alarm clock. I am a heavy user of my Google calendar, I use it for work, personal things like social networking, playing music and videos at the gym, pretty much everything Lol. Not a whole lot of time for it to be off.
    02-16-2015 08:37 PM
    Never off. I do use Tasker to shut off notification sounds at night and turn off ringer if home at night.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    02-16-2015 09:40 PM
    I don't either...But have read that's it's nice to turn it off once in a while..it enhances performance.

So I do it once every few weeks..If u r rooted, you can use tasker to automatically do it whenever u want!
    02-16-2015 09:46 PM
    I turn mine almost every day. I only leave it off for about a min, sometimes not that long, because i have to be able to take a call and its my only phone.

Most of the time when i wake up, ill check text messages, then turn the phone off while its still plugged in, and after its been off for say 30 seconds to a min ill turn it back on, and when its finished booting up ill unplug it.

I have no solid reason for why i do this, other than in years past i was always told its good to turn them off and back on about every day. Phones may have advanced to the point its not necessary, but hey, old habits right?

There are times i wish i could turn it off while i slept, but i have to be reachable 24/7

Verizon Note4 w/ Tech 21 case
    02-17-2015 07:31 AM
    I was just curious what others did and if leaving them on 24/7 was detrimental. Apparently it isn't. I haven't turned mine off since I bought it a little over a week ago. I have rebooted a couple of times though.
    02-17-2015 07:37 AM
    I also have to be reachable 24/7 and my employer pays my cell bill, so I can't really shut mine off. I've run all the phones I've had over the last 15 years continuously with no issues.

As others point out. It is good to shut down briefly now and then. Sometimes apps or processes can get stuck in the background causing the phone to run slower and/or the battery to discharge faster. I use the 'Restart' feature about once a week. That causes the phone to cleanly reboot.
    02-17-2015 07:48 AM
    Mine gets turned off once or twice a day when I am switching batteries.

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-17-2015 07:52 AM
    The only time I turn my Note 4 off is if I need a good fast charge, takes a lot faster if the unit is off. Otherwise she is on all the time, 24/7.
    Your don't need to turn the phone off, just turn the screen off for fast charging. Turning the phone off would be very marginally quicker

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    02-17-2015 08:43 AM