Sharing videos through Text messages

Brandwin

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
One thing that has bothered me since switching from iPhone to Note 4 is sending videos through text messages. It seems like every video is too big, even those that are fairly small...

Is there something I am doing wrong?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You need to remember that iMessage is NOT SMS/MMS. Apple's greatest hit (and biggest mistake when you switch) is to have made their messaging system 'seamless' between iMessage (similar to Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, or Hangouts) and SMS/MMS (the actual, old messaging standard).

When sending a video on an iPhone, if the recipient is also using iMessage, the video will be sent through the iMessage system, not MMS. But if you send the video to a non-iMessage user, then it gets compressed to fit the MMS standards. Android sends everything through SMS (text only) and MMS (multimedia) because their "i-Message-like" system, Hangouts, is used as a separate service. As such, you need to compress the video's size, both in file size and in resolution.

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Are u saying that hangouts works more thru thr internet than thru sms/mms? Or do i need to use something like kik or whatsapp? Is there one of these that eill send it to a cell number instead of them having to have an app

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Are u saying that hangouts works more thru thr internet than thru sms/mms? Or do i need to use something like kik or whatsapp? Is there one of these that eill send it to a cell number instead of them having to have an app

Yup. Hangouts needs a data connection to work, either WiFi or mobile, but data, not just phone service like SMS/MMS (actually, SMS and MMS do NOT work unless you have phone service; if you turn off all radios and turn WiFi on, you can't receive SMS/MMS unless you have a WiFi-Calling-capable phone and the carrier supports it). Like Kik or Whatsapp, you need the other party to have it installed and added you in their contact lists to be able to chat.

HOWEVER, Google does offer Google Voice, which gives you a virtual phone number to take/make calls and text in the US. You can either use the Google Voice app/webpage or integrate it with Hangouts, allowing you to text directly to cellphones via SMS, but with the ability of receiving/sending yours through any device or computer as long as you sign in with your account, all using the same phone number.

anon67808

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't have issues with mine... Pictures, videos, etc. arrive in a timely fashion

I've had bad luck with Messages on my phone both times I downloaded and tried it. SMS was fine but MMS was painstakingly awful. I wish I hadn't had such a bad experience with it because the app looks great to me. I was using Hangouts for a while after trying Messages but went back to the good ol' Samsung messaging app because to me, it does A LOT more than both of those, even though it's looks are something to be desired.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I'm sorry! I thought you meant the stock messaging app! No, I've not used any app called 'Messages', I use Hangouts for texting and, well, Hangouts haha.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Oh, I'm sorry! I thought you meant the stock messaging app! No, I've not used any app called 'Messages', I use Hangouts for texting and, well, Hangouts haha.

Same here. I was talking about the stock app. Never had any issues with it.

Posted via the Android Central App

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
iMessage is the only thing I miss from the iEcosystem.

iMessage is no different than any other third party messaging app, except that everyone with an iDevice has it. This means you don't have to think about anything.

I personally have Verizon, and somehow, they have made an awesome messaging app. They also have built in a video trimmer so if you shoot a long video, you can send a 15 second clip of what you want the other person to see.

If you need to share long videos or big pictures, I'd suggest Dropbox carousel or your social networking app of choice or a private YouTube link.

Again, the problem is that the services aren't ubiquitous, SMS is. I really like Google plus, but only my parents and girlfriend use it and that's only because I do. Also, carousel is an awesome iPhoto clone, and at least most people have a Dropbox account.

lv2bsilly

May 23, 2011
Visit site
One thing that has bothered me since switching from iPhone to Note 4 is sending videos through text messages. It seems like every video is too big, even those that are fairly small...

Is there something I am doing wrong?

There should be a setting to shoot a video that is small enough for MMS in your video settings on your camera. Downside is that the video is shot in lower quality.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
There should be a setting to shoot a video that is small enough for MMS in your video settings on your camera. Downside is that the video is shot in lower quality.

There is. Open the Camera, tap the Settings Gear, select RECORDING MODE and voila! You can 'Limit for MMS'.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
iMessage is the only thing I miss from the iEcosystem.

iMessage is no different than any other third party messaging app, except that everyone with an iDevice has it. This means you don't have to think about anything.

I personally have Verizon, and somehow, they have made an awesome messaging app. They also have built in a video trimmer so if you shoot a long video, you can send a 15 second clip of what you want the other person to see.

If you need to share long videos or big pictures, I'd suggest Dropbox carousel or your social networking app of choice or a private YouTube link.

Again, the problem is that the services aren't ubiquitous, SMS is. I really like Google plus, but only my parents and girlfriend use it and that's only because I do. Also, carousel is an awesome iPhoto clone, and at least most people have a Dropbox account.

Yup, I agree, iMessage is very well implemented in the OS, and that's one of their main strengths and selling points keeping people tied to their ecosystem.

Also, Verizon's app DOES allow you to send/receive SMS/MMS via WiFi, even with no phone service, which is pretty nice to have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance