Note 4 Camera

Andrew Blackburn

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Still so disappointed with the N4 camera worst performing camera I've ever used to be fair. It's so slow... in all fairness it's software related rather than hardware. ... but it still has not been addressed three months after release. The phone itself is great but if a camera was important to someone. ... I could not recommend it to them. Never had the issue with the note 2.... iPhone smashes this with regards to performance

Posted via the Android Central App

Lensbabyd

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I have just posted on another thread re the N4 camera, love the N4 but found the camera so poor I'm giving it up and gone back to my Sony Xperia z1 compact which has a cracking camera.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
It's so funny how different people's experiences are so vastly different with phone cameras on the same phone. The following was taken in full auto with HDR off. Focus was nearly instant, and color depth was very good despite a pretty challenging light balance. I've only had my Note 4 for a few days, so I can't do a full comparison, but focus has been consistently very fast (even though it jitters back and forth occasionally on macros, but change the focus point and it tends to clear up) and the camera performance so far has been pretty stellar for a smartphone camera.

I'm a pretty avid photographer. My preferred shooter is a DSLR, of course, but for a phone camera I've found the Note 4 to be a pretty solid performer so far.

20150216_162946.jpg

EDIT to add: Of course, portrait photos always seem to end up inconsistently rotated. Shows up fine on everything but Hangouts and, as I've just discovered, Androidcentral. Must be storing it as landscape and EXIF tagging a 90 degree rotation request.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
couldn't agree more with the above post, I love the camera. Indoors it's kind of sluggish, but it's the best I've had when it comes to phones. Outdoors its amazing.

anon(5816156)

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I prefer my Note 4 much more than my Xperia Z1. Detail-wise I found the Note 4 to be better than the Z1 (though that's more likely because of the over sharpening).

Note 4's shots are also more contrasty and slightly punchy which I liked. Maybe not so on some photographers who want natural colors, but most consumers prefer saturated colors.
It's also faster and easier to focus.

Overall, it's the best camera I've ever had on a smartphone for now. (And no, I don't have that issue when the phone refuses to focus on more than 5 feet)

Attachments

• 20150218_142602.jpg
    20150218_142602.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 105

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
If your Note 4 is not taking 90% fabulous pictures it is probably broken. For a point and shoot it really can't be beat.

The OP should post something indicative of "bad" results from the Note 4. I am just not seeing it.

kelton

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Other than the over-sharpened photos, I have yet to hear or read any reviewers complain about focusing.
There are lots of unbiased, nit picky reviewers out there.... and they pick nits!.... but I haven't read any of them complain about the camera.
In fact, one might say that the camera is one of the favorite features.

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

tt0h

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
That test is funny. It picked the Note 4 strength by showing a crop of each picture...which puts the dslr and iphone at a disadvantage...its kind of a sneaky Samsung bias with that test . They should have shown each photo strait up with no cropping.

You can see both the cropped and uncropped image. I think it was a fair comparison given that they did the test in point and shoot mode. Auto settings on all devices, etc - which is how most people likely use it. It would be a totally different review if they did manual adjustments for all 3 devices - which is more targeted to the photography oriented people as opposed to the general users of the devices.

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Still so disappointed with the N4 camera worst performing camera I've ever used to be fair. It's so slow... in all fairness it's software related rather than hardware. ... but it still has not been addressed three months after release. The phone itself is great but if a camera was important to someone. ... I could not recommend it to them. Never had the issue with the note 2.... iPhone smashes this with regards to performance

Lol, that's a good one.

Do you have any pics to show why you are so disappointed with the camera? All in all, it is your decision to make, but this really is one of the best smartphone cameras available.

Andrew Blackburn

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm not getting at the eventual quality of the pictures it takes.... I'm talking about the lag and freezes before and after you take a shot. It's frustratingly slow.... you'd definitely miss the perfect shot at a moments notice. ... video is lovely too... but for a phone with specs like this... it takes forever to process shots when waiting for the next.
I should have been more clear as to wot the issue was. Apologies

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
If your camera is that bad, I really think you need to send it in for a warranty swap. There has to be something else going on.

Lensbabyd

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
For me it is the speed to focus (subjects mainly moving, my 3 small boys ) and the over saturation /over sharpening that I dislike. I like the dedicated hardware button on the Sony too but that's an added extra. Prefer the more natural colours/processing of the Sony. I just can't get the reliable results I want with the Note 4 (and can't be bothered to always schlep my dslr with me). Shame as there's lots I do like about the Note 4 but the camera performance, for me, is the deal breaker. Shots from my Sony have printed lovely up to A4 size for a photo book and I wouldn't have faith in that performance from the N4

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
For me it is the speed to focus (subjects mainly moving, my 3 small boys ) and the over saturation /over sharpening that I dislike. I like the dedicated hardware button on the Sony too but that's an added extra. Prefer the more natural colours/processing of the Sony. I just can't get the reliable results I want with the Note 4 (and can't be bothered to always schlep my dslr with me). Shame as there's lots I do like about the Note 4 but the camera performance, for me, is the deal breaker. Shots from my Sony have printed lovely up to A4 size for a photo book and I wouldn't have faith in that performance from the N4

Have you tried using Burst mode? Are you talking about indoors or out? Have you tried the Google camera app? Also, try turning tap to take pics on and see if that helps any. The volume button can be used as a camera hardware button, and I believe it is on by default.

Lastly, if you just don't like the way the photo is processed, then you're pretty much out of luck.

barrettdaniel

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I have to say I absolutely love the camera on my N4. I'm not a huge camera user outside of my GoPro and the camera on my N4, but some pictures my N4 takes on just auto mode, with maybe HDR set on, they're fantastic. I don't think I could ask for better.

Andrew Blackburn

May 10, 2013
Visit site
However I'm not changing until note 5. But just might have a tinker with the m9 in between. ... M8 is superb or would be of the camera was better lol

fjd726

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
The camera was the reason I got rid of the Note 4 as well. If you have kids, you can pretty much guarantee the pic will come out blurry, especially indoors. My iphone 6 Plus takes fantastic pics every time without thinking about what setting to use or how steady you need to be in holding the phone. Other than camera issues, the phone was great, for me, it wasn't worth the bad camera in it.

mg2380

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
For me it is the speed to focus (subjects mainly moving, my 3 small boys ) and the over saturation /over sharpening that I dislike.

You should check out Samsungs app store. They have a couple of camera apps that you might find useful (Sports Shot, and Sequence Shot).

Also, try turning HDR off. That should help with the saturation issue.

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
You can see both the cropped and uncropped image. I think it was a fair comparison given that they did the test in point and shoot mode. Auto settings on all devices, etc - which is how most people likely use it. It would be a totally different review if they did manual adjustments for all 3 devices - which is more targeted to the photography oriented people as opposed to the general users of the devices.

Yes you can see both. But with 16 mega pixels of course the cropping will look better. That does not mean the uncropped photo is better. Showing the crops just gives some close calls to the Note 4. Also 3 daylight pics of the 5....again pandering to Samsung. If they did 3 of the 5 pictures indoors with moving subjects then the test would have been pandering for the iPhone. It is really a flawed test. Bad job Phone Arena.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy