01-02-2018 11:01 AM
27 12
tools
    I've had Galaxy devices for years, but just noticed on my (2 month old) Note 4 that there's no System Update option under settings. What gives?
    02-18-2015 05:26 PM
    Ummm... it hasn't been directly under Settings for a while... It's Settings, General, About Device, Software Update.
    02-18-2015 05:31 PM
    Ummm... it hasn't been directly under Settings for a while... It's Settings, General, About Device, Software Update.
    Thanks for the reply.

However I have no option to update within "About Device". I have:
    Software Version
    Hardware Version
    Status
    Legal Information
    Report diagnostic info
    Device name
    Model number
    Android version
    Baseband version
    Kernel version
    Build number
    SE for Android status
    Security software version
    KNOX version

That's it. Any other suggestions?
    02-18-2015 05:36 PM
    Which carrier are you on? I'm on T-Mobile and I checked an International version (still on KitKat) and it's there. Same thing with a Note 10.1 and a Tab S 10.5.

Have you tried going into Status or Software Version?

This is what I have on my Note 4, and looks similar on the Tab S.
    Note 4 Settings->System->System Update missing?-screenshot_2015-02-18-14-49-03.jpg
    02-18-2015 05:48 PM
    Which carrier are you on? I'm on T-Mobile and I checked an International version (still on KitKat) and it's there. Same thing with a Note 10.1 and a Tab S 10.5.

Have you tried going into Status or Software Version?
    I'm on Sprint. In fact that's what brought this up. I'm getting the WiFi calling activation error on every restart, and they were going to have me go into settings to update a few things. We couldn't find it. The tech lady was blown away saying I'm the first she's run into that didn't have it, and that shes worked with "dozens of Note 4s" that did.

Within Status all options are grayed out, and Software Version is also grayed out.

Bizarre, eh?
    02-18-2015 05:53 PM
    Very! Was this an unit purchased directly from Sprint? Or was it bought somewhere else?

I'd try first booting up into Safe Mode and see if the option is there then.
    Access Safe Mode - Samsung Galaxy Note® 4
    02-18-2015 05:55 PM
    Very! Was this an unit purchased directly from Sprint? Or was it bought somewhere else?

I'd try first booting up into Safe Mode and see if the option is there then.
    Yep brand new bought from direct from Sprint.

I booted into safe mode (thanks for the link) and no change; all options are still grayed out and there's no Software Update button
    02-18-2015 06:05 PM
    Regardless of where it was bought, Sprint (a company store, not a privately owned "Sprint" store) will probably either reflash the ROM or replace the phone. (I know that AT&T does it - I've had it done, and I didn't buy my phones from them), so if the store won't, call the retention department. To keep you as a customer, they'll probably replace the phone. (After, when they can't help you, you mumble something about this being the last time you get a contract with Sprint no matter how cheap it is.)
    02-18-2015 06:06 PM
    Yup, I'd go with Rukbat's suggestion. Get it replaced. But first make sure that they do have a Note 4 unit that has it (I doubt they wont, but what if this is just not there on any of their phones?).
    02-18-2015 06:09 PM
    Was afraid you were gonna say that.

Thanks for all the help guys.
    02-18-2015 06:26 PM
    Well, the only other thing left to do is do a Factory Reset first...which you might as well try if you're turning in your device anyway... Maybe that'll fix the broken ROM
    02-18-2015 06:27 PM
    Well, the only other thing left to do is do a Factory Reset first...which you might as well try if you're turning in your device anyway... Maybe that'll fix the broken ROM
    Done... still not there. Doh!
    02-18-2015 06:48 PM
    Then it's definitely something wrong with the ROM that's loaded in your phone. They might just re-flash their stock image if they have the right equipment and not have to ship out your phone, but maybe you'll get a new one right away. It's up to how Sprint handles these warranty services.
    02-18-2015 07:07 PM
    try hooking it up to a pc and connecting to Kies, if that doesn't work turn on developer options first and reconnect. just an idea...
    02-23-2015 08:09 AM
    try hooking it up to a pc and connecting to Kies, if that doesn't work turn on developer options first and reconnect. just an idea...
    Thanks for that. Got it installed plugged in and immediately it wants to update my phone. Here's a copy paste from the update screen:

Current version: PDA:NIE / CSC:NIE / PHONE:NIE (SPR)
    Latest version: PDA:NK2 / CSC:NK2 / PHONE:NK2 (SPR)

Updating now (gonna take a long time; slow intertubes here and its a 1.6GB download )
    02-23-2015 10:32 AM
    Kies would update it if it was available, and I hope that update 'patches' your phone, but if it still doesn't show the update option in your phone after that, I'd still get it replaced. That might be the only 'obvious' thing missing, but what if there's something else that you're not seeing?
    02-23-2015 11:23 AM
    Kies would update it if it was available, and I hope that update 'patches' your phone, but if it still doesn't show the update option in your phone after that, I'd still get it replaced. That might be the only 'obvious' thing missing, but what if there's something else that you're not seeing?
    The only other thing I've noticed is that WiFI calling activation error; that's what brought this up in the first place. Every time I restart the phone it throws a WiFi calling activation error. Its easily fixed by tapping and letting it reactive itself, but still annoying. Sprint has already removed and readded the service, but still the problem persists.

Question: will this update to NK2 factory reset the phone? Or will all my settings and stuff stay put?
    02-23-2015 11:32 AM
    Nope, the update will not wipe your phone. If you want you can do a factory reset but the update will still be installed.
    02-23-2015 11:53 AM
    Nope, the update will not wipe your phone. If you want you can do a factory reset but the update will still be installed.
    Cool thanks for the info. Already did the factory reset and still no bueno. We'll see after the update...
    02-23-2015 11:56 AM
    So the update failed. It got stuck downloading to the phone.

I'm trying it again (downloading now) and would like to try again if it fails again without having to download the 1.6GB file. I've found the file and will copy the folder once done (as per these instructions: http://androidforums.com/threads/how...rocess.458795/) But I'm not sure what "multiloader" is. Anyone mind pointing me in the right direction?
    02-23-2015 12:37 PM
    Nevermind. The update took this time and boom! System Update now shows up AND the WiFi Calling activation error is gone. Sweet!

Thanks for all the help guys!
    02-23-2015 03:11 PM
    Good to know it worked Mystery solved(ish)! hahaha
    02-23-2015 03:25 PM
    The sprint s5 is the same way its not in the about device menu it is somewhere else under settings just can't remember where .

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-23-2015 04:17 PM
    Same thing happening with me.Im on a sprint s6 edge and there is no update option in it.I tried updating it via kies but it says use SmartSwitch..No update option either in smartswitch.What to do?
    03-07-2016 07:16 AM
    Can you please tell me where?
    03-07-2016 07:17 AM
27 12