How fast is OTG USB transfer speeds on the Note 4? Can you play HD movies through it?

hayuste

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I currently have a Samsung S5. I'm not really looking to upgrade my phone but I have a question about the Note 4's microUSB port. I noticed that most new Android devices are eschewing the USB 3.0. I went into Best Buy and the Samsung Rep told me that their newer models are no longer going to carry USB 3.0. My concern is the transfer speed. I like to play videos on my S5 using an USB 3.0 OTG cable and a Sandisk Extreme Pro USB 3.0 thumb drive. She told me, from her experience with her Note 4, that charging on the micro-USB port is just as fast but she seemed unsure on the transfer speeds on her Note 4. She just said it was good.

So my question is what is the OTG USB 2.0 transfer speed on the Note 4? By using a OTG cable and a speedy thumb drive, can it play HD movies adequately? I tested a Google Nexus 9. My experience with that device was generally a no (but I only had it for one day and had other horrible experiences before returning it).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
USB 3.0 burst speed (the speed a single packet travels from device to device) is a lot faster than 2.0. Transfer speed (the speed it takes a file of any decent size to transfer) isn't much faster - the phones can't handle the faster data transfer speed.

Just to answer your question, I put an HD (1080p) video on a class 4 card and plugged it into my Note 3 with a 2.0 OTG cable. It played with no problem. (Charging is about the same on the Note 3 also. - USB 2 or 3, as long as the charger can supply 1200mA, that's what it charges at. Charging from a USB port on the computer is surprising - 460mA from the supposed 3.0 port, 1,000mA from the supposed 2.0 port.)