Can someone explain exactly what rooting a phone is/does?

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-20-2015 10:16 PM
    Root is basically Admin Priviledges for your phone. It unlocks all the doors that are locked ostensibly to protect yourself from doing something dumb. As such, it goes without saying that you should only root your phone if a) you know what you're doing, and b) can afford to be without your phone in the event of a catastrophe.
    UJ95x likes this.
    02-20-2015 10:33 PM
    Root is basically Admin Priviledges for your phone. It unlocks all the doors that are locked ostensibly to protect yourself from doing something dumb. As such, it goes without saying that you should only root your phone if a) you know what you're doing, and b) can afford to be without your phone in the event of a catastrophe.
    \thread
    02-20-2015 10:34 PM
    I may not be the best at explaining this but I'll give it a shot. basically rooting gives you access to parts of your phone that the manufacturer locked down. These locked down options, I believe, is used by software developers but can be potentionally dangerous for lay people to mess with. The manufacturers don't want the general public messing with parts of the phone that they are not equipped to handle which may lead to bricking your phone.

In summary, rooting your phone will allow you greater customization and access but you may run the risk of ruining your phone.

I am in the process of making my Note 4 self aware.
    02-20-2015 10:35 PM
    Can someone explain exactly what rooting a phone is/does?

While u must have read all the other answers...Here's my Answer --> DON"T think about it.

I rooted and un-rooted my previous android phone multiple times in the 2 yrs had it..put a bunch of Custom ROM...only to find out that my phone took a big hit.

Since I got my Note 4, I haven't touched that whole process at all!
    02-20-2015 10:43 PM
    Thanks! I keep seeing people talking about rooting their phones and didn't know what it was.

02-20-2015 11:23 PM
    In all honesty, most of the phones are so good now that root is not necessary. The only thing I would really use root for today is to remove the bloatware that comes bundled on these phones from the different carriers. Don't get me wrong, there are many useful things that can be achieved from rooting, but to me I really don't have much of a need to do so anymore. (And this is coming from a long time flashaholic/ROMaholic/rootaholic) LOL
    Crashdamage likes this.
    02-21-2015 12:58 PM