Note 4 on lollipop - How is it working?

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a Samsung Galaxy s5 on Verizon, which was killed by the lollipop update. It's sluggish, has app crashes, and horrible battery life.

How does the note 4 fare on lollipop? I'm eligible for an upgrade in April and I'm looking at either the note 4 or nexus 6.

After experiencing the sluggishness of Samsung devices (s3 and s5) after about a year of use, I'm really considering jumping ship to the nexus line.

Last edited:

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Note 4 on lollipop

As far as I know, Lollipop isn't available yet on the Note 4, at least not in the US.
Ohh...I didn't know that. I haven't been following note 4 news and had just assumed since it came out after the s5, it would have gotten the lollipop update already.

qbnkelt

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site

Yup. I stalk the forums to try to get info on when it's supposed to arrive. No luck yet.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy s5 on Verizon, which was killed by the lollipop update. It's sluggish, has app crashes, and horrible battery life.

How does the note 4 fare on lollipop? I'm eligible for an upgrade in April and I'm looking at either the note 4 or nexus 6.

After experiencing the sluggishness of Samsung devices (s3 and s5) after about a year of use, I'm really considering jumping ship to the nexus line.

I do not recommend the nexus 6. It's still a work in progress. The S6 will be out soon or you can pick up a note 4.

Amazing Verizon Galaxy Note 4

Miami1683

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site

I have a nexus 6 .. it's ok .. still a long way to go. I carry the N4 as my daily driver and keep the Nexus home to mess with

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site

I have a nexus 6 .. it's ok .. still a long way to go. I carry the N4 as my daily driver and keep the Nexus home to mess with

Wht u mean it's ok? did u have a Nexus 5 before? how does it compare to that?

Miami1683

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site

Wht u mean it's ok? did u have a Nexus 5 before? how does it compare to that?

It's a nice phone but buggy too. It's super fast tho. And at times reboots from a memory leak.

The note is more stable but running 4.4 .. the S pen is so much more

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site

It's a nice phone but buggy too. It's super fast tho. And at times reboots from a memory leak.

The note is more stable but running 4.4 .. the S pen is so much more

My concern is whether or not that stability will remain on 5.0. My s5 was fine before this update.

Does the note 4 still have that Samsung media storage thing where it doesn't read like a normal USB mass storage device? I'm also wondering how that's going to work with Android auto.

Miami1683

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site

The S5 we have at home on 5.0 runs fine. No battery issues at all really. Try a full factory reset and see if that helps.

As far as stability on the update. There is know way for us to really know until we see it on the note 4 here on VZW.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I had the Nexus 6 and it only randomly restarted one time in the 3 days I had it. I think for the money it's a nice unit. ...on topic though, I'm hoping the Note 4 doesn't get Lollipop anytime soon. My Note 4 works well so well now, I don't even want to take a chance really. I hope Samsung keeps the "beta" that's going on in Europe away from the US until they get it refined.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Did you by chance try doing a Factory Reset on your S5 after the update? I have heard a lot of experienced members say that after a major update like Lollipop, the reset does wonders.

I for one, right now am extremely happy with the performance of my Note 4, that I'm not sure I even want to let the update install once it comes.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site

Did you by chance try doing a Factory Reset on your S5 after the update? I have heard a lot of experienced members say that after a major update like Lollipop, the reset does wonders.

I for one, right now am extremely happy with the performance of my Note 4, that I'm not sure I even want to let the update install once it comes.
I have not yet, since I was only going to do it as a last resort, but I'm thinking I may have to.

I was anxiously waiting for that lollipop update since I really want android auto in my car when it's released. I do think that they need to iron out the bugs before releasing it to note 4 though, even if it takes a little longer.

I'm leaning towards the note 4 though after hearing all this negative talk about the nexus.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

I have not yet, since I was only going to do it as a last resort, but I'm thinking I may have to.

I was anxiously waiting for that lollipop update since I really want android auto in my car when it's released. I do think that they need to iron out the bugs before releasing it to note 4 though, even if it takes a little longer.

I'm leaning towards the note 4 though after hearing all this negative talk about the nexus.
I have never owned a Nexus device, but I have owned the Note 2 and currently the Note 4. I was in Love with my Note 2 and that's why I skipped the Note 3, and went to Note 4 as to not stay to many models behind..... Besides it being an awesome device, the S pen is one of the major reasons I love the Note. I use it for everything....texting, scrolling, writing, etc. I have long finger nails, so using the S pen gets it done faster for me.

UPDATE: Not to familiar with the "Android Auto" but if your car is a Toyota, this may affect your decision. This was posted today on Adroid Central. http://www.androidcentral.com/toyot...id-auto-its-us-vehicles-favors-its-own-system

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site

I have never owned a Nexus device, but I have owned the Note 2 and currently the Note 4. I was in Love with my Note 2 and that's why I skipped the Note 3, and went to Note 4 as to not stay to many models behind..... Besides it being an awesome device, the S pen is one of the major reasons I love the Note. I use it for everything....texting, scrolling, writing, etc. I have long finger nails, so using the S pen gets it done faster for me.

UPDATE: Not to familiar with the "Android Auto" but if your car is a Toyota, this may affect your decision. This was posted today on Adroid Central. http://www.androidcentral.com/toyot...id-auto-its-us-vehicles-favors-its-own-system
Hmm bad move by Toyota. I have a 2013 Hyundai that I bought last year, so I won't be getting a new car anytime soon.

I was going to upgrade with an aftermarket infotainment that supports android auto. That way I can get rid of my apple centric infotainment center and my ipod touch and finally get Internet music streaming with metadata on my screen and can stop juggling multiple devices.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Ohh...I didn't know that. I haven't been following note 4 news and had just assumed since it came out after the s5, it would have gotten the lollipop update already.

The Note 4 will probably be upgraded to Lollypop within a few weeks. So it'll be ready when you're ready for you phone upgrade.