Note 4 on lollipop - How is it working?

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Note 4 on lollipop

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy s5 on Verizon, which was killed by the lollipop update. It's sluggish, has app crashes, and horrible battery life.

How does the note 4 fare on lollipop? I'm eligible for an upgrade in April and I'm looking at either the note 4 or nexus 6.

After experiencing the sluggishness of Samsung devices (s3 and s5) after about a year of use, I'm really considering jumping ship to the nexus line.

I know a few people with S5s and they had to do factory resets after the Lollipop update. Their phones work great again.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

As stated, factory reset the phone. ALWAYS factory reset the phone after a major update. It sucks but it is necessary IMO.

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

So all of the bugs that people are experiencing on Lollipop can be eliminated by doing a factory reset after the update? This is indeed good news for me, since I was planning on waiting a month or two after the update was available to see what people were experiencing. But if it runs great after a factory reset, that's even better. I don't mind doing factory resets. In fact I usually do one every 3-4 months no matter what device I'm on just to keep things fresh. I have signing into my accounts, setting up my preferences, and setting up my home screens down to an art :).

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

That's the European version eh? So it's not as yea-and-nea as AC makes it out to be?

from a dark Note 4📡

Yeah, that's the European version, but it's evidence that Samsung are taking their time with the Note 4 update for Lollipop, which they should. I am looking forward to receiving it :)

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

Well, that's encouraging.....hope it plays out that way. Only time will tell.

Exactly, I'm not in any major rush for it, but it doesn't stop me from checking twice a day to see if I have an update lol. Samsung have taken their time with the lollipop release for the Note 4 so you know they will get it right when it finally gets released worldwide.

ranajit saha

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy s5 on Verizon, which was killed by the lollipop update. It's sluggish, has app crashes, and horrible battery life.

How does the note 4 fare on lollipop? I'm eligible for an upgrade in April and I'm looking at either the note 4 or nexus 6.

After experiencing the sluggishness of Samsung devices (s3 and s5) after about a year of use, I'm really considering jumping ship to the nexus line.

You would be so foolish to compare note series with the S series. I owned s4, note 3 & now I am having note 4 (android 4.4.4). Also I have used s3 and note 2 for quite long time. So I can feel the difference between S & note series. Note series is faaaarr better than S in every department. No lag, no bug and great battery life in note. I am just stunned by the note 4. Unbelievably fast it is!!!
Though I haven't got lollipop yet but I don't think you will suffer buying a note 4 like you did in case of s3 & s5. S series always gives you headache.
I haven't used nexus 6 so can't comment on that. But that's not a bad phone either. But note 4 is definitely better than nexus 6 if you have no problem with late updates. In nexus you won't get the advantages of touchwiz. Yes note 4 UI is much better.
Don't know about android auto.

Posted via the Android Central App

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

You would be so foolish to compare note series with the S series. I owned s4, note 3 & now I am having note 4 (android 4.4.4). Also I have used s3 and note 2 for quite long time. So I can feel the difference between S & note series. Note series is faaaarr better than S in every department. No lag, no bug and great battery life in note. I am just stunned by the note 4. Unbelievably fast it is!!!
Though I haven't got lollipop yet but I don't think you will suffer buying a note 4 like you did in case of s3 & s5. S series always gives you headache.
I haven't used nexus 6 so can't comment on that. But that's not a bad phone either. But note 4 is definitely better than nexus 6 if you have no problem with late updates. In nexus you won't get the advantages of touchwiz. Yes note 4 UI is much better.
Don't know about android auto.

Foolish ? It's the same underlying os ....the difference is the s pen but that's it . Hardware wise the s5 has the snapdragon 801 cpu and 2gb of ram while the note 4 has the snapdragon 805 cpu and 3GB of ram. Some have different exynos CPUs but same amount of ram except I think one model of the s5 which has the 805 and 3gb of ram I think. The cpu is fine but I would guess the underlying cause for any lag on the s5 is the 1gb less of ram which is an issue with Samsung putting on so much bloat imo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ranajit saha

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Foolish ? It's the same underlying os ....the difference is the s pen but that's it . Hardware wise the s5 has the snapdragon 801 cpu and 2gb of ram while the note 4 has the snapdragon 805 cpu and 3GB of ram. Some have different exynos CPUs but same amount of ram except I think one model of the s5 which has the 805 and 3gb of ram I think. The cpu is fine but I would guess the underlying cause for any lag on the s5 is the 1gb less of ram which is an issue with Samsung putting on so much bloat imo

Yes that RAM is an issue. But if you compare (n+1)th generation S with nth generation note (both have same RAM), you will see note gives much better experience, note never lags never gets too hot after few months which I faced for both the S series devices but no note device gave me any kind of problem. If you keep aside the special features like upgraded camera etc previous generation's note is also better than the current S. Obviously the the new CPU will give you faster response but that if you compare the devices both used for 6 months or so you will find note is better.

My S3 S4 both the devices were getting too hot, had charging issue, battery drainage, severe other problems for which I had to replace the motherboards of both the devices. In fact I had to change motherboard of s3 twice. But I never had an issue with any of my note.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Yes that RAM is an issue. But if you compare (n+1)th generation S with nth generation note (both have same RAM), you will see note gives much better experience, note never lags never gets too hot after few months which I faced for both the S series devices but no note device gave me any kind of problem. If you keep aside the special features like upgraded camera etc previous generation's note is also better than the current S. Obviously the the new CPU will give you faster response but that if you compare the devices both used for 6 months or so you will find note is better.

My S3 S4 both the devices were getting too hot, had charging issue, battery drainage, severe other problems for which I had to replace the motherboards of both the devices. In fact I had to change motherboard of s3 twice. But I never had an issue with any of my note.

I had a s2 skyrocket , s3,s4 , note 3 and note 4 and never noticed a huge difference .... The Galaxy s6 will be perfectly fine with its improved specs over the note 4 and then note 5 will up that then s7 ...

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site

I just wanted to report back on my s5, I did the dreaded factory reset, and the phone seems to be much better. The battery life still seems to suck, but I haven't had any trouble with lag and app closes.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on the note. It does sound like the best option for my upgrade.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

I just wanted to report back on my s5, I did the dreaded factory reset, and the phone seems to be much better. The battery life still seems to suck, but I haven't had any trouble with lag and app closes.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on the note. It does sound like the best option for my upgrade.
That's Great to hear! I'm wondering if perhaps you need a New Battery too! They are pretty inexpensive......but if you are close moving to a new phone, you might not want to bother!

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site

That's Great to hear! I'm wondering if perhaps you need a New Battery too! They are pretty inexpensive......but if you are close moving to a new phone, you might not want to bother!
O jeez I hope not! This phone is less than a year old. The battery was fine before the update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol