I'm sorry, but after 5 months I realized this phone is junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Considering I had the iphone first gen through the 5, I expected a quad core flagship with 3 gig of ram to be able to perform basic task fairly easy....

And yes, I did TONS of research between this and iphone 6 plus...why I did choose it? Considering they were both so close in true performance (supposedly) Mainly for multi tasking while texting...unfortunately the stock app sucks, so I use textra, and now I can't multi task.

Posted via the Android Central App
As I and many others have written before, no phone, including the Note 4/Note Edge will be great for everyone. The iPhone 6+ is a great phone and may lead to better-met expectations. That said, there are some things you can do to make a great phone even better.

One, use a different launcher, almost any 3rd party option performs better and is more flexible than TouchWiz. Nova Prime is still my favorite.

Two, as has been suggested, try a different navigation app, Waze, Google Maps work well for a lot of folks.

Try a different keyboard. The Google keyboard is nice, as is SwiftKey. Perfect Keyboard is sweet too.

Also, for a general improvement in smoothness, enable Developer options and change animation scales from 1x to .5x.

If you don't want to be bothered with those types of things (which is understandable) than the iPhone 6+ may be a better option.

from the Note Edge📱📏

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Considering I had the iphone first gen through the 5, I expected a quad core flagship with 3 gig of ram to be able to perform basic task fairly easy....

And yes, I did TONS of research between this and iphone 6 plus...why I did choose it? Considering they were both so close in true performance (supposedly) Mainly for multi tasking while texting...unfortunately the stock app sucks, so I use textra, and now I can't multi task.

You just seem to be wasting a lot of time and energy in this forum complaining about virtually every aspect of this phone. You seem to be the ONLY person having so many issues. Others have a complaint or 2 and most of us have none. It seems you would be better off with a phone with not so many options. I hope you find a phone in the Iworld that suits you. Good luck sir.

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
If it make you feel better, I chatted with a Samsung rep the other day on a whim and asked if he knows if there's going to be an OTA fix for the GPS (I've been struggling with it since I got the phone in October). He said it will be included in the Lollipop update. I'm taking that with a grain of salt, but it makes me hopeful.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I can comment on this since I do have an iPhone 6 Plus (Verizon - 64 GB) and a T-Mobile Note 4 --- To be honest majority of your issues .. I don't have. I use Google Maps on my Note 4 / 6 + and both operate the same .. they get me there showing traffic estimates and it tries to tell me the best way based on the information at hand.

For texting I use ChompSMS on my Note 4 (made by the Textra people) and it works great. I personally don't multi-task but you're talking about basic functions and then bring up multi-tasking which requires the two hand thing which you said you didn't want to stop to do. As for the iPhone of course I just use the default app which works fine as well .. iMessage is iMessage and normal texts are .. well .. normal texts. All function the same.. Videos,pics,text,grp txts .. all work the same. The only thing iMessage has is the quick voice snips you can send .. and the location sending right in the app in case I am trying to find out where someone is.

For the keyboard .. Swiftkey will solve every problem you described about auto-correct. Unlike iPhone you have to change a few things on Android to get the best. Manufacturers can be great at making the phone and suck at the software part .. even on basic stuff such as a keyboard. The new keyboard on my 6+ (the stock Apple one) is far from perfect. Did they improve it with the predictions at the top ? Yes .. But it sometimes corrects to words .. JUST to correct words .. even if it doesn't make sense in the sentence. So while it has improved .. It needs more work. Swiftkey on my Note 4 actually tries to correct a typo .. to a word that makes sense grammar wise.

The copy paste thing? While the Note 4 can do it I can somewhat agree the iPhone one can be easier. I do enjoy holding down and having the magnifying glass pop up so I can select exactly what I want .. or put the cursor right where I want... But I never really had to fight to do it on the Note 4.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I can comment on this since I do have an iPhone 6 Plus (Verizon - 64 GB) and a T-Mobile Note 4 --- To be honest majority of your issues .. I don't have. I use Google Maps on my Note 4 / 6 + and both operate the same .. they get me there showing traffic estimates and it tries to tell me the best way based on the information at hand.

For texting I use ChompSMS on my Note 4 (made by the Textra people) and it works great. I personally don't multi-task but you're talking about basic functions and then bring up multi-tasking which requires the two hand thing which you said you didn't want to stop to do. As for the iPhone of course I just use the default app which works fine as well .. iMessage is iMessage and normal texts are .. well .. normal texts. All function the same.. Videos,pics,text,grp txts .. all work the same. The only thing iMessage has is the quick voice snips you can send .. and the location sending right in the app in case I am trying to find out where someone is.

For the keyboard .. Swiftkey will solve every problem you described about auto-correct. Unlike iPhone you have to change a few things on Android to get the best. Manufacturers can be great at making the phone and suck at the software part .. even on basic stuff such as a keyboard. The new keyboard on my 6+ (the stock Apple one) is far from perfect. Did they improve it with the predictions at the top ? Yes .. But it sometimes corrects to words .. JUST to correct words .. even if it doesn't make sense in the sentence. So while it has improved .. It needs more work. Swiftkey on my Note 4 actually tries to correct a typo .. to a word that makes sense grammar wise.

The copy paste thing? While the Note 4 can do it I can somewhat agree the iPhone one can be easier. I do enjoy holding down and having the magnifying glass pop up so I can select exactly what I want .. or put the cursor right where I want... But I never really had to fight to do it on the Note 4.

I have a cellular iPad which has gps ( wifi models don't ) and a note 4 and find Google maps work exactly the same between the iPad and note 4

I find copy and paste to be a pain on iOS sometimes though . I want a word or 2 and sometimes it either lets me do the one word or the whole page or paragraph.p but not he 2 words.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I still think my Note 4 is the best phone I have ever owned.

There are two things though that my iPhone 6+ does better.

The finger print unlock just works. Every time.
The speaker. Even though there is only one, the sound sounds great. It's the only phone I go to, to really play music on and the only phone I use to set alarms or timers.

Most annoying features on my Note 4:

Opening links in Facebook or other apps just results on a blank page that never fully loads. I had Firefox set up as the default but now I have Chrome as the default. It seems to be working a bit better but I'm not sure yet.

That finger print unlock. No. Apple got it right.

logik brooklyn

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
You just seem to be wasting a lot of time and energy in this forum complaining about virtually every aspect of this phone. You seem to be the ONLY person having so many issues. Others have a complaint or 2 and most of us have none. It seems you would be better off with a phone with not so many options. I hope you find a phone in the Iworld that suits you. Good luck sir.

Lmfao sure I am. The note is perfect, it must just be me.

I said this for years while I had an iphone, I guess now I see why it really holds true

"There's a reason apple is the most valuable company in the world." And "I never seen a Droid device on ebay for $1000+"

I'm a car guy, and the analogy I always used with apple vs droid are like BMW vs infiniti. Yea the infiniti may give you more horsepower (some cases) toys, technology, and standard features than the BMW which in comparison could come off plain and boring. But the fit and finish, polish, refinement and overall experience are just a cut above on the beemer. Infiniti is still a GREAT car, but it's not the same.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

I said this for years while I had an iphone, I guess now I see why it really holds true

"There's a reason apple is the most valuable company in the world." And "I never seen a Droid device on ebay for $1000+"

I'm a car guy, and the analogy I always used with apple vs droid are like BMW vs infiniti. Yea the infiniti may give you more horsepower (some cases) toys, technology, and standard features than the BMW which in comparison could come off plain and boring. But the fit and finish, polish, refinement and overall experience are just a cut above on the beemer. Infiniti is still a GREAT car, but it's not the same.

Lol ? iPhones just hold their value more ....doesn't make it better or worse then android , windows or blackberry . Apple is the most valuable because they are holding the world back and by using litigation then innovation. I love my iPad all that being said but seriously the os has been the same for a while now

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I would have to disagree 100% here .. The $1k for a Droid device doesn't mean anything. If anyone pays $1k for an Apple device they have .. issues (if we specifically mean just phones on eBay). Or are doing it for a collective value. You can't base the value on a phone on how much you spend on it since .. Prices can be inflated for pure profit. Look at any phone manufacturer cost to make it vs. selling to you .. and yeah .. cost won't mean it is a better phone instantly.

They're the most valuable because they were the first to an app store and also yes .. to the masses who don't want to "tinker" or mess w/ the phone .. it works for them. Ease > anything in the world. If you can make stuff simple the masses will use it. The Note 4 has functions .. you just have to care to change things to get all the potential but .. MOST people won't want to do that. Which is 100% okay .. they can nab what works for them... But to just say "the keyboard is broken" but you didn't try another one doesn't instantly mean the iPhone is better. Especially since it sounds like you haven't tried an iPhone 6 or 6+ to compare to the Note 4. I will say the iPhone still has its issues and isn't as easy to do some tasks (like sharing from apps to other apps).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a cellular iPad which has gps ( wifi models don't ) and a note 4 and find Google maps work exactly the same between the iPad and note 4

Yeah .. same with my 6+ / Note 4 .. Google maps works just fine on both. If I could hide the bar on both of them I bet no one could tell the difference :D.

logik brooklyn

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
I would have to disagree 100% here .. The $1k for a Droid device doesn't mean anything. If anyone pays $1k for an Apple device they have .. issues (if we specifically mean just phones on eBay). Or are doing it for a collective value. You can't base the value on a phone on how much you spend on it since .. Prices can be inflated for pure profit. Look at any phone manufacturer cost to make it vs. selling to you .. and yeah .. cost won't mean it is a better phone instantly.

They're the most valuable because they were the first to an app store and also yes .. to the masses who don't want to "tinker" or mess w/ the phone .. it works for them. Ease > anything in the world. If you can make stuff simple the masses will use it. The Note 4 has functions .. you just have to care to change things to get all the potential but .. MOST people won't want to do that. Which is 100% okay .. they can nab what works for them... But to just say "the keyboard is broken" but you didn't try another one doesn't instantly mean the iPhone is better. Especially since it sounds like you haven't tried an iPhone 6 or 6+ to compare to the Note 4. I will say the iPhone still has its issues and isn't as easy to do some tasks (like sharing from apps to other apps).

I agree with you to a degree.

I don't mind tinkering, I'm running nova (not prime) which is way better than stock. Main reason I haven't changed a keyboard because none that I've tried enable the right and left justification...which is huge to me because I only really one hand this phone.

I haven't tried a 6 or 6 plus besides in the store. However to apples fault, I've had 5 iPhones previously...so I know what I'm getting.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I don't mind tinkering, I'm running nova (not prime) which is way better than stock. Main reason I haven't changed a keyboard because none that I've tried enable the right and left justification...which is huge to me because I only really one hand this phone.

I haven't tried a 6 or 6 plus besides in the store. However to apples fault, I've had 5 iPhones previously...so I know what I'm getting.

You know what you're getting generally .. but you haven't fully tried iOS 8, you haven't got to use the new features that are in the OS day to day, etc. since you have only tried a store model. When I try a Note or Samsung I know what I am getting to so I am not sure what you mean by this statement? I also know what I can change to get things the way I am used to...

To just throw out a blanket "it is better because it does this well" doesn't instantly mean the previous phone is crap. It may do it better in your opinion and for your needs but it doesn't mean the Note 4 is crap. Pretty much anything you can show me on my 6+ .. I can do on my Note 4 .. Will it be executed differently? For sure since they have their owns ways ... Does that mean one is crap and the other isn't? From my experience with both .. no. Both are really great phones .. it just depends what you want to do... or what you want to not do (i.e Tinker, Change, etc.).

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

No disrespect intended, but I'm not sure why we are having this conversation. I use both ios and android. Note 4 is my daily driver, iphone 6 plus is my toy when I need to get my phone fix on for something different for a few days. If apple works better for you, then fin. Just say so and move on. People have given you some good advice.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I am disappointed in the Note 4's GPS and Bluetooth performance-- my iPhone 6 does them better IMO-- but I certainly wouldn't classify it as junk. I can't believe some of the ways the S-pen has come in handy for me and that's why I can't really seem to go back to the iPhone for more than a few days before I start to miss the Note. Plus texting on the 6 just feels cramped to me after having using a Note.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

Can you really use the 6+ one handed? That phone is awkwardly large and "ONLY" has a 5.5" screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781