I've been thinking about encrypting my device. I'm not sure it's really necessary, but it I wanted to solicit feedback and get some users opinion. Have any of you awesome Note 4 Users encrypted your phones? Has you noticed a difference in performance? Has it impeded your functional use? Thanx in advance!

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-25-2015 09:03 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! I can't say anything specifically about the Note 4, but one thing to keep in mind is that an encrypted phone can only be unlocked using PIN or password. You can't use swipe-to-unlock, pattern, or face unlock (unless you have a Nexus 6 or Nexus 9).
    02-25-2015 11:39 AM
    Thanx B. Diddy! I'm just curious if it's a necessary evil?! I'm not really a fan of password, pin, or pattern locks so I'll probably forgo the encryption.

02-26-2015 01:09 AM
    I think device encryption is necessary only if you have very sensitive information stored on your phone, if you use it in your workplace and they require you to encrypt your phone, or if you're exceedingly cautious and worried about your own privacy and don't mind some of these inconveniences.
    02-26-2015 01:21 AM
    I kind of think that the fingerprint is sufficient. My work requires encryption on laptops and phones but my Note 4 is MY note 4 so the fingerprint is fine for my requirements. I think it is pretty unlikely someone could hack the scanner or guess the backup password. I use device locator and remote device reset and blocked reactivation, so that is pretty much covered.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    02-26-2015 12:03 PM
    In my opinion, its only worth it if you have something on your device that would be life changing if someone got ahold of it. For example: Copies of SSN, birth certificates, or nude pics of your wife. It would also apply if you were a doctor or psychologist and had patient information on your device. Otherwise, its probably pointless.
    B. Diddy and srkmagnus like this.
    02-26-2015 12:48 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! I can't say anything specifically about the Note 4, but one thing to keep in mind is that an encrypted phone can only be unlocked using PIN or password. You can't use swipe-to-unlock, pattern, or face unlock (unless you have a Nexus 6 or Nexus 9).
    Can you really uee pincwith encryption? I think only password is allowed.
    Has anybody enabled encryption in Note4

Sent from my mobile device
    02-26-2015 04:22 PM
    On the Nexus devices besides the Nexus 6 and 9, you can set PIN, password, or pattern: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2844831?hl=en. I actually didn't realize that pattern was allowable, although it might be specifically for Nexus devices. In this thread, someone says that after fully encrypting his Note 4, he could only use password: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...k-methods.html. But this Sprint guide mentions PIN and password being ok: http://eguides.sprint.com/support/eg...ncryption.html
    02-26-2015 05:30 PM
    I'm thinking of trying encryption on my note 4 for sprint. What about the sd card. Does it encrypt the sd card as well? I do all my banking on my phone but I'm more worried about all my music I've purchased. What about like email that I download from google does it encrypt it as I download it, how does that work? I'm charging my phone to encrypt it. Any feedback would give me peace of mind. I don't mind a little headache for peace of mind but if it is too intrusive I'll reset it. I always use lock screen and such. Thanks
    02-26-2015 05:49 PM
    So I encrypted my phone and there's no noticeable difference. The only way to unlock your phone is by entering a six digit code. Nothing else works. You can encrypt your SD Card, but that's an action yoire gicen afterward your phone is encrypted.

I do not believe your emails get encrypted as they're stored on your phone. From everything I've read, saved/downloaded files are encrypted.

If anyone else can chime in and confirm what's encrypted on your phone and what's not, that would be great!

02-27-2015 02:19 AM
    The only way to unlock your phone is by entering a six digit code. Nothing else works.
    Thanks but no thanks :-)
    That's the only thing that stops me from encrypting.

02-27-2015 02:26 AM
    I can understand the confusion about device encryption, but here's how it goes:

If you have the built-in email connected to your workplace, they may have set the option that causes you to only be able to login using a password (ie disabling pin or fingerprinter). You can try using another app, like Nine Folders, which bypasses this.

If you have KitKat, then encryption does not support fingerprinter reader. However, if you are on Lollipop and don't have the administrator setting which disallows it, you CAN enable encryption and use the fingerprinter reader. Just be aware that you need to enter a password when you first boot, but then can use the fingerprinter reader afterwards. This will stay true until you reboot, in which case you'll need to enter your password.
    06-24-2015 01:24 PM
    Can you really uee pincwith encryption? I think only password is allowed.
    Has anybody enabled encryption in Note4

I have encrypted 3 Android devices. The Note 4, the Note 8, and the Note Pro 12.2. In all cases with different Android OS versions only a password is allowed for unlocking the encrypted phone and/or extSD card.
    From my experience it is very easy and quick to encrypt the devices but the extSD card can take up to about an hour for 128 GB card.
    I noticed no slowing down of the devices but of course you have to first unlock the encryption so you have to start with the password at power up. And then you have to wait for the extSD card (if any) to be checked and unlocked, though this is done while the system is spinning up so it isn't onerous.
    Finally, unencrypting the device is also easy, straight forward, and quick.
    As for the need, an encrypted device is harder to hack and if you are ever arrested the cops can't take your photos and spread them on the internet or to their cop buddies as has happened a number of times recently. As Justice William O. Douglas stated "The right to be let alone is indeed the beginning of all freedoms."
    bat0nas likes this.
    06-24-2015 06:17 PM