Not sure if this type of thing is permitted, but here goes.

I've posted a note to Samsung on my blog to try and get them to include support for the new Camera 2 API in the Lollipop update for, at least, the Note 4 and S5. Sharing on FB, Twitter and tagging Samsung is the easiest way to try to get them to hear users.

rf-photography(dot)ca/an-open-letter-to-samsung/

PS, I had an account on here but the forum software doesn't remember me and I can't seem to recover my login information. As a result, I can't post links because my post count isn't high enough.
    02-25-2015 02:18 PM
    Remember another thing - the camera hardware has to support RAW output. Calling for RAW output from a camera module that can't output it may result in the camera's normal "best" output, or it may result in garbage. And just maybe, the current Samsung cameras are the latter type, and they don't want to retrofit tens of thousands of phones that are out in the field.

The software can't get what the hardware can't five it, that's always been true. That's why computers can't do a simple thing like making toast.
    02-25-2015 05:58 PM
    The camera hardware isn't the issue. Any digital camera hardware can support RAW capture if the firmware behind it is set up to do so. The hardware is just a lens and a sensor.
    Fourthletter58 likes this.
    02-26-2015 09:35 AM
    I just wish they would follow in the footsteps of HTC and Motorola and just release the camera app to the Play Store. They could easily get feedback from users and make the necessary changes and all you would have to do is update the app.
    02-26-2015 12:24 PM
    It's not just the app though. The Camera 2 API needs to be supported in their Lollipop update. AFAIK, Samsung's own camera app doesn't support the Camera 2 API (neither does Google Camera, for that matter). There are a couple third-party apps that do though. Camera FV-5 does and Manual Camera does. Manual Camera won't even install unless the Camera 2 API is supported in the OS.
    02-26-2015 03:41 PM
    Galaxy note 4 and Galaxy S6 both use the same imx240 camera module, so it should be conceivable that they can update the note 4 to utilise the same features such as manual focus and exposure, though No RAW support (due to complications with bandwidth involved in saving the information? Or smth I read about)
    Edit: there have beens reports circulating that Samsung is updating s6 with RAW support.

Galaxy note 4 should be able to be updated to support camera2 api, maybe some devs can tweak drivers for us
    Davi Porciuncula likes this.
    03-13-2015 08:37 PM