Before I get into my story, here are three short points:

(1) The Note 4 was a great phone – I really liked it
    (2) The Note 4 is – apparently – a very fragile device
    (3) Samsung warranty support is horrible horrible horrible

At this moment, I have a worthless piece of what was a very expensive device and no one has been able to help me get it back.

I acquired my Note 4 in October. The very first thing I did was put it in a Pelican Voyager case (Pelican ProGear™VoyagerPhoneCase for Galaxy Note® 4(C08030)), which – I thought – was pretty sturdy protection. I did not get insurance. I should have - MISTAKE #1 – I strongly recommend insurance for this device, now.

I dropped the phone twice. The first time it fell out of my pocket; no problem. The second time, I was using it navigate in the car and it slid off the center console on a turn. I’m not exactly sure where/how/what it hit before it landed on the floor in front of the passenger seat, but it must have been a pretty good jolt because the screen went black. There was no visible damage to the device – as far as I could tell - the screen was intact.

(1) I took the phone into AT&T, where I acquired it, to see what they could do. Once I explained what happened and told the representative that I didn’t have insurance, they told me there was nothing they could do and I should take it to a repair shop to get it fixed. I hate to cast aspersions on the qualifications of someone based on age or gender, but this was not good advice given that there was no obvious physical damage to the device. They did not – and should have – told me that opening the device would void the warranty. MISTAKE #2: listening to this advice without questioning ramifications.

(2) I took the phone to a national-brand repair shop. They also failed to warn me that opening the device would void the warranty. They said “it’s probably a microfracture in the screen” and seemed eager to just get on replacing the screen. They did so – apparently twice – and the display occassionally would go on, but wouldn’t stay on. It obviously wasn’t a screen problem. They were not able to fix the problem. MISTAKE #3: letting them open the device to fix it.

(3) As a last resort, I sent the phone to Samsung for a warranty repair, and this is is what pissed me off more than anything else: just two days – literally two days – after Samsung acknowledged receipt of my device by email, it was back on my doorstep. The repair statement said “your phone is beyond repair”, “unauth rep/mod”, “labor/parts void warranty”. Not surprising, but the very fact that they simply saw that the device had been opened, returned it immediately, and washed their hands of the problem really made me angry. No phone calls, no attempt to fix – nothing! They just threw it back in my face. Pretty $#!++y customer service, if you ask me, and has me seriously reconsidering whether or not I’ll ever by another samsung device.

The problem must be a poorly constructed motherboard and the fall caused something to become dislodged or loose. But I guess we’ll never know.
    So heed my warning: the Samsung Note 4 is delicate and take my advice: get insurance.

Not sure what I’m going to do now.
    02-26-2015 12:32 PM
    Sorry that you had all this trouble, but rule #1 of warranties is ALWAYS that tampering with the device in ANY way voids the warranty. Period.

AT&T Should have been more specific about the 'repair shop', but Warranty replacement should NOT have been your last resort if you didn't have insurance, it should have been your FIRST.

That being said, I've dropped mine a few times and so far no damage. I just gotta be more careful.

And just as a personal experience with Samsung warranty service, with an S4 I had, the speaker stopped working, sent it in, and had a new device waiting for me in less than a week. If the warranty is handled by the store or carrier, I'd have gotten the replacement the same day.

An S2 that also fell and stopped working, however, took a little more (like 3 weeks), but they still honored the repair if a bit slow due to a lack of parts.
    jimd1050 and tartrate like this.
    02-26-2015 12:52 PM
    LOL, you can't expect them to warranty a phone that YOU broke, whether by accident or purposely. Secondly, if you don't know that opening a phone voids the manufacturer's warranty, then maybe you should've read the manual BEFORE you started using your phone. ANY type of electronic that YOU open will void your warranty.

The one thing that I am surprised with is that they did not give you a cost to repair the device, however expensive it might have been. That is truly the only thing I see wrong with this story and supposed "horrible horrible horrible customer service."

As adults sometimes we just need to own up to our mistakes. PERIOD.

Do I feel bad for you? Of course I do, but that does not mean that this is Samsung's fault.
    jimd1050 and bassplayrguy like this.
    02-26-2015 01:21 PM
    I asked this same question over on the Phandroid forum that you posted to. When you sent the phone to Samsung, did you tell them you previously broke into the phone to try and fix it? If not, it's no wonder they simply returned the phone telling you you're SOL. People try to scam them all the time with omitted information, misinformation, and/or out-right lies. I'm not implying you intentionally tried to scam them, but you have to look at it from their standpoint.
    02-26-2015 03:24 PM
    Feel really really bad for you. However why would you not obtain insurance for a device that your paying so much for! I made sure insurance was on my phone even before I took it out of the box. Secondly no matter what phone that you get in the future any time you open or make mechanical changes to your phone its going to void your warranty. Lastly you can still get your phone fixed. There are shops out there can can fix your phone. It's probably going to cost you a pretty pretty penny. But take this as a lesson learned. Next time add insurance the extra cost on your bill will Def be worth it. My deductible with Verizon is only 99 dollars so the extra 10 dollars a month is worth the piece of mind.

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-26-2015 03:43 PM
    Thanks for the comments and support. You're all telling me stuff that I should have known but - through naivety or ignorance - didn't. I graduated from a sturdy blackberry to the Note and I didn't know what I didn't know. The whole reason for my post was to share this information with other people like me so that they can avoid a similar fate.
    02-28-2015 10:19 AM
    Like others have said, I can sympathize with you being out a phone, however, warranty would not have covered the repair when you dropped and broke it. Warranty covers manufacturing problems or bad parts, not owner damaging the unit. There is nothing wrong with what Samsung did. ATT&T should have told you to send it to Samsung first for repair because if they would have fixed it and charged you, your warranty would still be in tact. But there again that is a situation where you didn't do your due diligence. Good luck to you sir. I hope you can get another one at a cheaper rate than new.
    02-28-2015 01:07 PM
    Send it back to Samsung and ask for a repair quote. I am pretty sure it will be less expensive than buying a new one. You are probably gonna pay between 200-300 bucks to get it fixed.
    02-28-2015 01:58 PM
    WBURKETT you are NOT alone in your quest for decent customer service from Samsung. I have a Gear 2 that has a broken charging dock latch on the body of the watch.The device is currently uder warranty. Samsung refused the repair the watch under their warranty process because the watch band buckle shows wear - EXPLETIVES! Because of their attitude towards their consumers. I too have decided to move away from their product line and services. Good luck!
    02-28-2015 02:33 PM