Samsung pay in Note 4?

ranajit saha

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if Samsung Pay will be available in older devices with fingerprint Scanner?

Is it compatible with normal card swipe machine in the shops? Are they NFC compatible?

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
No word on that yet, but since the concept of Samsung Pay is NFC based, I don't see why it couldn't be trickled down to the fingerprint-scanner-enabled S5 and Note 4. But so far it's only been announced for the S6 series.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
It's is only limited nfc, it also uses a built in loop pay radio. So while the nfc part nay be backward compatible with the N4, the loop pay part would not. I seriously doubt it will be developed or released for older devices for that reason. It offers no real difference from Google wallet without the loop pay feature.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
It's is only limited nfc, it also uses a built in loop pay radio. So while the nfc part nay be backward compatible with the N4, the loop pay part would not. I seriously doubt it will be developed or released for older devices for that reason. It offers no real difference from Google wallet without the loop pay feature.

Agreed. I'm sure Samsung will offer it at some point (it's all about the transaction fees!), but it would be of extremely limited use without the "loop pay" (magnetic) radio. The ability to transmit a signal to a magnetic reader so you fool the magstripe reader into thinking a credit card is swiping through is pure genius, and requires dedicated hardware.

Without the ability to send the signal to magstripe readers, it's just another NFC payment protocol, yawn.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. I'm sure Samsung will offer it at some point (it's all about the transaction fees!), but it would be of extremely limited use without the "loop pay" (magnetic) radio. The ability to transmit a signal to a magnetic reader so you fool the magstripe reader into thinking a credit card is swiping through is pure genius, and requires dedicated hardware.

Without the ability to send the signal to magstripe readers, it's just another NFC payment protocol, yawn.

All that being said... any phone can nfc, make calls, buy fries, etc... but only a Note Notes! I wouldn't trade the Note 4 for any feature on another phone. The package as a whole is a perfect fit for me, and I am in love with it. I can carry a credit card and a Note 4 in my pocket for many years to come with complete satisfaction... of course that's just me.

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
i'm looking to trade in my Note 4 ASAP, the lack of SD card compatibility sucks, but im willing to overlook that for Samsung Pay. I use Google Wallet now, but in places where its not available to use Samsung Pay has the upper hand

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You can sign up on the Samsung site for Samsung Pay beta with a note 5 and the new S6 phones, but not if you are with Verizon.

Gotta love Verizon.

NotNalb

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I would love to have the loop pay functionality, but the inexplicable absence of expansion card or removable battery in the Note 5 is a total deal-breaker for me. Not even a close balance of issues there from my perspective.

r56mcs

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
It is misleading to use term Samsung pay for gear 2s because it only utilizes NFC. It will only taint the reputation of Samsung pay if they allow it on devices that cannot run mst method because Samsung pay is known for being universally accepted.

JBlinky67

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Google pay, or now, Android pay, I guess it's called, has a physical credit /debit card making it already accepted everywhere. No loop pay needed. I can keep my awesome Note 4, thank you.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I'd rather carry a credit card with a SIM chip and have the US actually adopt PIN pads universally. I don't feel the need to carry around a brand new breakable phone that is capable of emulating an inherently insecure (mag stripe reader) technology.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of using new technology to emulate obsolete tech, that mag stripe transmitter - since cassette and 8-track are all basically the same technology as a mag stripe reader, I wonder if you could play your music by holding your Note 5 in front of the read head on your 8-track player? Maybe they could put a little wheel on the back of the Note 5 so the plastic thing that spins the cassette tape can run a dynamo that recharges your phone?

:p

seussman

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
NotNalb I totally agree. Why do they always change something we like and works well. I was going to upgrade to Note 5,but now that I know there's no replaceable battery or SD card option I'm sticking with the note 4.

uli_cezar

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Second this! No expansion slots, no upgrade. It is good to know that S7 now has SD card expansion slot. But it is still problematic with the battery. Especially in colder weather, where just getting my phone out of the pocket kills it if the battery anywhere in the range below 40-50% charge. With note 4, at least I can switch the batteries and keep going.