64 bit

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree with everything you said. Having said that, I'm not sure who you are quoting here, but

>3.5GB became necessary in the personal computing world years ago, and you need 64 bits to support addressing that much memory.

This is incorrect. 32bit processors can address up to 4GB of ram. You only need 32bits for 4GB or less. No phone currently has that much RAM in it, and its going to be a long time before any ppone does.

>Smartphones are VERY FAST approaching the stage where they will need to have 4, 8, or even 16GB of RAM on board to support the workloads we are throwing at them.

This is both incorrect, and somewhat silly when you think about it.

1) Most phones have between 10 and 25 GB of free storage in them when empty. To say that they are rapidly approaching the point where they will need half as much RAM (or more) as they have flash is just crazy.

2) What workloads do you think people are throwing at them? Most desktops don't need 16GB of ram, even more so, phones don't need even 8. Do you think that people are editing large spreadsheets on their phones? Video editing? Developing large pieces of software? Editing RAW image files? No, most people use their phones primarily for email, surfing the web, media consumption and games. None of those things needs a large amount of memory.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
This is incorrect. 32bit processors can address up to 4GB of ram. You only need 32bits for 4GB or less. No phone currently has that much RAM in it, and its going to be a long time before any ppone does.

I stand corrected - I was referring to "useable" memory after OS overhead was taken out, and didn't clarify the difference between that and "addressable" memory. Thanks for the clarification.

This is both incorrect, and somewhat silly when you think about it.

There is no single app or even combination of a few apps in the smartphone world that needs to address more than 4GB RAM, true. However, multitasking is the real use case for more smartphone RAM. As apps start to resemble and even outgrow (because location awareness and mobility means people add features to their apps) their desktop brethren, we'll continue to demand lag-free task swapping between those apps. And "MOAR MEMORY!" is the key to doing that.

It's either that or have developers all optimize their apps to be more RAM-friendly (I'm in software development - have a developer choose between optimization and making their app shinier and more attractive to users... good luck with that).

Not to mention, the "games" you refer to are not all small puzzle games. Full-blown immersive 3D desktop games are being ported to larger and larger-screened phones and tablets. The assets on these can measure into the gigabytes, and the more you keep in memory, the less has to be paged in, and the smoother and cleaner an immersive experience you'll get.

My Galaxy Note 4 is running 1440 x 2560 pixels. My 24" monitor on my work desktop is running 1920 x 2000. Think about that for a moment. My SMARTPHONE is pushing more pixels than one of the larger monitors in the marketplace. Granted my desktop has two other monitors attached (the correct number of monitors for optimal productivity is N+1, where N represents the number you have right now), but my smartphone is what gets games and other stuff loaded to it, and those tend to put a heavier load on a system than even the 5-6 Eclipse instances I have to have open at any given time.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
There is no single app or even combination of a few apps in the smartphone world that needs to address more than 4GB RAM, true. However, multitasking is the real use case for more smartphone RAM. As apps start to resemble and even outgrow (because location awareness and mobility means people add features to their apps) their desktop brethren, we'll continue to demand lag-free task swapping between those apps. And "MOAR MEMORY!" is the key to doing that.

Sure, but when each individual app is only taking up a smallish amount of memory, you still don't need that much memory total. It is the spreadsheets and the graphics editing programs and their like that take a lot of memory, not the email programs and the mobile utilities. Even browsers take up less memory on the phone because you don't have to worry about heavyweight sites on a 6 inch display.

You are much more limited in your multitasking needs on a 6 inch display, because the odds that you will have more then a few apps active at one time is pretty low. More limited multitasking=lower RAM requirements.

My Galaxy Note 4 is running 1440 x 2560 pixels. My 24" monitor on my work desktop is running 1920 x 2000. Think about that for a moment. My SMARTPHONE is pushing more pixels than one of the larger monitors in the marketplace..

Yes, but it isn't really. I know of a couple of games that have 1080p resources, but most are just lower res and scaled up. You desktop games may offer you options to run at full resolution, but none of your phone games do. And that's ok, because on a six inch display, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference anyhow.

There actually is one exception to this called Battle For Wesnoth. And even it doesn't use higher res resources. It just stops scaling up the standard one. It is (as can be imagined) impossible to play at full resolution.

No, games on a six inch device are not going to be what pushed us up to 8 or 16gb of ram.

cruz allen

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Im on lollipop now with the exynos and the software is 32 bit even though the chip is 64bit capable

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12