When I connect my Note 4 to my Windows 7 computer, why does it show up as a portable device?

Lady Grinning Soul

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Connecting Note 4 to Windows

Hi. When I connect my stock N4 to my Windows 7 computer, it shows up as a "Portable Device" in Explorer and I'm able to transfer files from to the N4 more or less the same why I would from one local folder to another. This happens more or less automatically.

But each time I plug it into Windows 8.1, it first indicates it's "connecting as an installer." Then it shows up as a CD Drive named Verizon Mobile. Eventually it shows up under "Devices and drive" as SAMSUNG-SM-N910V.

Is there any way to get this to happen automatically, without having to go through the "connecting as installer" phase?

On a previous HTC phone, it was possible to set what happened when it was plugged in (eg, charge only, connected as drive, etc) but I can't find anything like this on the N4.

Thanks.

EPGames

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Connecting Note 4 to Windows

You can download the drivers here:

org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=US&CttFileID=5657064&CDCttType=DR&ModelType=C&ModelName=SM-N910AZKEATT&VPath=DR/201406/20140624231220544/SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.5.45.0.exe

Also make sure you don't connect the usb cable to a usb hub. It may sometimes make it not work.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I recall that kind of behavior on Verizon phones--a small partition of the memory acts like a CD drive, wanting you to install their software (which is probably not very useful). I don't think you can turn that off. You just have to X out of that window whenever it pops up initially, then let the device connect as usual.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

As for the "charge only, connected as drive, etc", that was on older versions of Android. ( I don't remember if that changed with Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean.)

Lady Grinning Soul

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site

Thanks all for the replies. It eventually gives Explorer access to the N4's file system, but it takes about 45 seconds after first plugging it in.

Even then, the ability to sort and see file and folder properties is limited, even more so than when plugging in something like a flash drive, but I get the impression that that is not as specific to the N4.

What I'd like is to be able to plug in the N4 and just have it show up in Windows as a lettered drive. AFAIKT, that is not possible

You can download the drivers here:

org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=US&CttFileID=5657064&CDCttType=DR&ModelType=C&ModelName=SM-N910AZKEATT&VPath=DR/201406/20140624231220544/SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.5.45.0.exe

Do you know what this driver provides that isn't otherwise available?

Thanks!