It's seems to constantly be "Searching for GPS" since the update last night and I always have a notification going for it. It's taking up a notification spot in the drop down. Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas how to address this...other than turning off location?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails I seem to have a CONSTANT location notification since Lollipop update...-gps-notification.jpg  
    03-07-2015 11:32 AM
    Mine isn't constant, but does pop up from time to time. Seems like a silly notification.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Blipstein likes this.
    03-07-2015 04:19 PM
    Not too sure, but it seems as though you may have a background process running that is checking your location all the time, whether it be facebook, google+, maps, weather, whatever... something on there is searching for your location.
    Blipstein likes this.
    03-07-2015 05:06 PM
    It's seems to constantly be "Searching for GPS" since the update last night and I always have a notification going for it. It's taking up a notification spot in the drop down. Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas how to address this...other than turning off location?

Thanks
    After about three months of use with the location "on", I didn't notice a "searching for GPS" at all (running 4.4.4). Now, for some reason, my phone will constantly show that and drain the battery rather quickly. I have to keep the location off and turn it on when needed. Kind of a PITA and I haven't got a clue why it does it.
    Blipstein likes this.
    03-07-2015 05:32 PM
    After about three months of use with the location "on", I didn't notice a "searching for GPS" at all (running 4.4.4). Now, for some reason, my phone will constantly show that and drain the battery rather quickly. I have to keep the location off and turn it on when needed. Kind of a PITA and I haven't got a clue why it does it.
    Yes.... This
    03-07-2015 05:33 PM
    Yes.... This
    I'm still researching this on my own. So far, I have went through every single app that I installed or that was preinstalled and if it has a location setting, I have it turned to off.

When it is searching for location, I have noticed that Android System and Android OS are using the most battery percentage.
    03-07-2015 05:41 PM
    I'm still researching this on my own. So far, I have went through every single app that I installed or that was preinstalled and if it has a location setting, I have it turned to off.

When it is searching for location, I have noticed that Android System and Android OS are using the most battery percentage.
    I'm thinking a factory reset and reinstalling Lollipop might work.... I really don't want to resort to that though. I would like to figure this one out
    03-07-2015 05:43 PM
    mine does this from time to time with KK
    03-07-2015 06:10 PM
    I'm thinking a factory reset and reinstalling Lollipop might work.... I really don't want to resort to that though. I would like to figure this one out
    If I can figure something out, I'll post it here.
    03-07-2015 06:13 PM
    If I can figure something out, I'll post it here.
    Likewise
    03-07-2015 06:15 PM
    Yeah, I think it may be an overzealous app. I installed Amber Weather right before I upgraded to lollipop, and their beautiful widgets have a problem with location tracking, so I think that's why I'm seeing this more. I've disabled the widgets, which is a shame because they're pretty and expensive, but the location requests have pretty much disappeared so far.

03-07-2015 09:57 PM
    It's the same as iGalione, I think that you may have some background process running that is checking GPS all the time.
    03-07-2015 11:19 PM
    It's the same as iGalione, I think that you may have some background process running that is checking GPS all the time.
    Yeah, in my situation it has to be a background process. I'm 99% sure it is not a downloaded app. My Android System and Android OS shouldn't be eating battery like they are.
    03-08-2015 09:22 AM
    Yeah, in my situation it has to be a background process. I'm 99% sure it is not a downloaded app. My Android System and Android OS shouldn't be eating battery like they are.
    Agreed.

Still haven't figured this out yet
    03-09-2015 07:56 PM
    I figured this out in case anyone else might experience this. I have the Gear 2 and it was a clock face app (Watcher) that was using GPS way too much. I went into "Location" and looked at the list of apps that requested location. I "force stopped" each one and identified which app it was that was causing the constant location notification.

I emailed the developer and he said he was aware of it and already submitted an update that he is waiting for
    03-11-2015 01:04 PM
    Right on man. Good investigative reporting.
    Blipstein likes this.
    03-14-2015 11:32 AM
    Long press the location widget in the drop down shade. When the settings open for Location choose power saving instead of GPS Only. That should sort it out, or you can turn it off completely. I leave it on power saving because I like to have the location update on my my weather widget on my home screen.

03-14-2015 12:48 PM
    I still haven't figured this out - since I do NOT own the Gear 2 - I don't think that is my issue. Ever since I did the Lollipop upgrade, the Location CONSTANTLY updates, which literally drains my battery in about 2-3 hours....I'm going insane people. Please help me! If I turn it off - almost every single app I open, asks me to turn it back on to function properly. It's truly a PITA.

This definitely had something to do with the latest Android/Lollipop update - it never did it until then, and it started doing it the moment after.

I do have a weather widget on my Home screen - and it appears that is the culprit (I say appears, because I'm not entirely sure). That is probably the single-most thing I look at on my home screen, so disabling it really, really sucks for me.

Thoughts? I could use some help - I'm desperate.

Thanks in advance!
    05-04-2015 12:41 PM
    I still haven't figured this out - since I do NOT own the Gear 2 - I don't think that is my issue. Ever since I did the Lollipop upgrade, the Location CONSTANTLY updates, which literally drains my battery in about 2-3 hours....I'm going insane people. Please help me! If I turn it off - almost every single app I open, asks me to turn it back on to function properly. It's truly a PITA.

This definitely had something to do with the latest Android/Lollipop update - it never did it until then, and it started doing it the moment after.

I do have a weather widget on my Home screen - and it appears that is the culprit (I say appears, because I'm not entirely sure). That is probably the single-most thing I look at on my home screen, so disabling it really, really sucks for me.

Thoughts? I could use some help - I'm desperate.

Thanks in advance!
    Mine was constantly searching for location. All I did was go into my location setting, click mode, and change it to power save.. Haven't have the problem since and it's been almost a week.

05-04-2015 12:54 PM
    if you want to get ride of Location notification in your cell phone then follow the following steps
    go to setting ---location--- Google location history and turn it to OFF.

Hope so problem would resolve .
    Thanks
    Shoukat
    05-28-2015 06:04 AM
    I'm having a similar problem with a random notification beep since I started sharing my location through Google+, Verizon Message+/Glympse, and Commute Sharing in the Google App/Now Cards.

While I don't have a solution yet (other than turning off all notifications and/or sounds, kind of like cutting your finger off to get rid of that splinter) I did stumble across a notification prioritization setting. I'm running Lollipop. The key word there is "stumble". I don't remember where I spotted that setting. OK, I found it. Each app's notifications can be set to "priority" meaning they will appear at the top of the list. So all you have to do is go into each of the other 100+ apps you have installed and set them to priority and this notification will move to the bottom of the notification list.

Problem solved! (that's sarcasm if you didn't pick that up, I'm too lazy to pick out an emoji)
    12-03-2015 09:48 AM