Why does the SD card slow my phone down?

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I recently bought a new Samsung EVO 128GB SD card from Amazon, formatted it in the phone, transferred all my music, photos and videos to it and now it takes my phone a lot longer to respond/wake up when I press the on/off button. Is it normal for it to slow the phone down or should I get a replacement card? I didn't experience any performance issues with the 64GB one.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The OS might be slowed down by reading the card. You might be right that the card might be bad. I would consider exchanging it first.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It shouldn't slow down the phone if everything is working correctly. I have a note 4 with a 128GB microSDXC Sandisk 48MB/s card and no issues.If it just happened it might be indexing, I would let it run for a day. If it still happens after a day, One way to test would be to put a blank file labeled ".Nomedia" in the root directory of the sd card, and see if you still have problems. If that fixes your problem then you have an indexing problem potentially with a corrupt file somewhere. You can remove the nomedia file from the root directory and put the nomedia file in each directory individually one at a time to test to see which directory has the corrupt file.

You would also see indexing service use a lot of battery resources and force wake lock.

If you put the nomedia file in the root directory and still have problems then probably a bad sd card

It is also possible that you have a bad sd card, so you can try to exchange it first, if you don't want to troubleshoot.
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If you can... check your power stats and see if you get a ton of media related wakelocks (may need a 3rd party tool like GSAM).. media scanner, etc.... if the phone is having a hard time reading that card, it'll show up more than just sluggish wake ups. Last time I had a SD card, it went bad and before it completely crapped out, I started getting crazy bad wakelocks while the phone struggled to access the card properly... killed my phone's charge overnight at one point.

Didn't know what it was until the card went completely (and not a coincidence that I no longer use SD cards in phones).

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Easily it is the indexing services running hard in the background to look at all of the media and documents to generate media thumbnails and search databases. It SHOULD completed that job after a while though, unless there is a bug.

Have you tried it with a empty card?

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your answers everyone. I think the card may be faulty. It's been in my Note 4 for a few days now so it had plenty of time to "settle in". I formatted it again to eliminate indexing issues but it was still taking a long time for the phone to wake up even with a blank card. As soon as I removed it the Note was back to normal so I'll get it exchanged. Appreciate all your help.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac