To auto brightness or not to auto brightness...

Dustin Money

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Should I use auto brightness on my note 4? I tried using apps like Lux auto brightness but they just consume so much battery. I also heard the default auto brightness on android consumes battery from polling the light all the time.

Posted via the Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't use the auto brightness feature. As you mentioned, it does consume more battery because it's adjusting the brightness to settings that might not be necessary. For example, having the brightness set all the way up may not be needed when 75% of the setting will suffice. This occurs through the range of settings auto brightness adjusts to. I prefer to keep it set to a predefined setting that I know works for me throughout the day.

Also, you are using an app when the the Note 4 (all Android devices for that matter) do this without relying on an app. So my suggestion is to delete the app if you are using one and stick with the built in setting.

magichoward

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I use it all the time .....it seems to work specifically when outdoors in bright conditions ...it goes much brighter then max manual settings can.
i have found in day to day use it doesn't seem to consume that much battery .

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Display Brightness app is what you need. You can very easily and quickly adjust the brightness just by sliding your finger. No matter what app (movie, game, calendar, whatever) you are using, you don't need to exit the app or pull up any menu, just slide your finger...done.

(Make sure you check out the negative brightness feature too, very handy at night in a dark room.)

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...berbigpepper.DisplayBrightness&token=O1iJvk6W

Your welcome! ;^)

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I use it all the time .....it seems to work specifically when outdoors in bright conditions ...it goes much brighter then max manual settings can.
i have found in day to day use it doesn't seem to consume that much battery .

I had completely forgotten about that... I use "Automatic" at the beach for just that reason. I had read somewhere that "Auto Mode" will bring your Max brightness much higher than Manual Max can, when out in the sun. It's awesome at the beach for sure! :cool:

Preeda

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
Let try "Auto brightness by PP".
It works only when you press 'recent app key', 'home key', or when screen become on.
So that it will save your battery ,easy to use , while keep automatic function.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I use auto brightness. I'm indoors a lot, so my normal brightness is very low. It's only when I go outside that I need the screen to be brighter than it is. I like it!

TheOpusFuller

May 28, 2010
www.Germanity.com
I keep my screen on near full brightness. Always have. Although when I used my note 4 I noticed the screen would dim after using it for a period of time. No auto brightness was selected orvanything. I think when the device would get too hot it would auto kick it down a notch. I don't have this problem with my note 5 though. Was very odd.

Posted via the Android Central App

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I LOVE Auto-Brightness. At night or in low light the screen is entirely to bright on manual. The AB keeps the screen perfectly lit.

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz