Note 4 Battery After 5.0 Lollipop Update - anyone notice any issues?

iamdld

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed that the battery usage screen no longer shows how long the device has been off the charger. Is this an ATT thing?

Princepia

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
I think it is carrier specific, mine does show. And I I didn't factory reset and my battery has been the exact same if not marginally better than before.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-09-03-26-54.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-09-03-26-54.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 154
  • Screenshot_2015-04-09-03-26-49.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-09-03-26-49.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 154

robcassman

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Battery life after lollipop is much worse. I spent the time and hassle to do a factory reset but the battery life has still remained poor. Went from about 20 hours down to about 12.

By the way, why doesn't the update actually improve the device? "Clear the cache..." Shouldn't the update do that for the user if it is so necessary?

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
This is mine i have bluetooth on and wifi always on. Moderate use, check facebook, update apps etc..
I'm loving the Lollipop.

Screenshot_2015-04-09-15-40-00.jpg

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
By the way, why doesn't the update actually improve the device? "Clear the cache..." Shouldn't the update do that for the user if it is so necessary?

Doesn't matter what OS (Android, iOS) it is, there are going to be those who have a seamless update that does "improve" their device. Others experience nightmares when upgrading. I have friends with iPhones who still haven't updated to iOS 8 because of all the issues that came with it.

For me, the Lollipop update is a double-edged sword. Speed has improved noticeably but battery performance is worse compared to KK. I'm trying all the various tips (reboot, clear cache, etc) and they have helped but not as much as I'd like.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had the update for about 24 hours, and my battery life seems about the same, which is to say, good. The apps open much much faster, and I'm hoping my battery life will actually get better. Before the update, I was losing about 1-2% per hour, now it's about 2-4%. Nothing to gripe about, but I hope it goes back to the former over time.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have verizon and I can say battery life on my note 4 tanked as well. I use to go to bed with 70ish percent and now its 50ish.

nospam1

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
I am also very disappointed in the Lollipop update:
I monitor my Battery consumption very closely with the Wonderful app "Battery Monitor Widget"
Over the last months I could establish that it measures the battery consumption in mA accurately.
Here is one of the screens:
Lollipop-Battery-BWM.png
In the area I have marked with red, you can see the consumption at night, in Airplane-Mode with Location OFF.
Before the upgrade, this has consistently been between 8-12mA now it is around 68ma
During the day, with GSM turned on, it was ~75 when resting, now it is 170mA.

Of course I have already checked all the obvious things, reboots, cache cleared, and disabled *EVERYTHING* that I could in Connectivity (Location, Bluetooth NFC, ANT etc...) and Apps: I have "Turned Off" 52 stock apps:
Lollipop-Battery-Apps.png
And I stopped any process that I could in the "Running" List.

I can see that the main consumption over the whole night is almost entirely at the fault of the "Android System", but not which of the many services under it.
Is there some way to get a more fine-grained view of which service causes this battery drain?

Thanks for your help,
UP

PortablePete

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I cannot find any negative issues with the update. Battery life after a couple days did get better. But that first 48 hours I was more than pissed. Hot phone, sluggish, and a couple apps didn't work right. But now I am happy with it.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I am also very disappointed in the Lollipop update:
I monitor my Battery consumption very closely with the Wonderful app "Battery Monitor Widget"
Over the last months I could establish that it measures the battery consumption in mA accurately.
Here is one of the screens:
View attachment 173768
In the area I have marked with red, you can see the consumption at night, in Airplane-Mode with Location OFF.
Before the upgrade, this has consistently been between 8-12mA now it is around 68ma
During the day, with GSM turned on, it was ~75 when resting, now it is 170mA.

Of course I have already checked all the obvious things, reboots, cache cleared, and disabled *EVERYTHING* that I could in Connectivity (Location, Bluetooth NFC, ANT etc...) and Apps: I have "Turned Off" 52 stock apps:
View attachment 173767
And I stopped any process that I could in the "Running" List.

I can see that the main consumption over the whole night is almost entirely at the fault of the "Android System", but not which of the many services under it.
Is there some way to get a more fine-grained view of which service causes this battery drain?

Thanks for your help,
UP

Have you done a factory reset?

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

nospam1

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
> Have you done a factory reset?

I have spent countless hours setting up all my apps etc just the way I like it.
I am afraid that even after the Samsung-Backup and Restore I will have many
things that wont be restored, e.g. what about all my Nova-Launcher settings?

This is my first Android phone, so I am not sure about this.
With the iPhones I had before I knew through testingthat Itunes would do a 100% backup.
Is the Samsung Backup just are reliable?

Thanks for sharing your experience!
UP

nospam1

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
Ok, a last update on this:
In the end I solved the issue by rooting my device ( This forum prevents me from using links (new user) but here is a hint android.gs/root-galaxy-note-4-using-cf-auto-root-and-odin/ ) which I had planned anyway, because of the incredible amount of bloatware that Samsung crammed onto it - a lot of which can't be "Turned Off" :-(
Then I went on an Uninstalling-Spree and now the consumption is down to and average of ~12 mA in Airplane Mode and ~25mA (varying a bit more, usually 5min samples are between 15-35mA )
I cannot really tell *which* of the many packages I removed was the culprit in the end, but I can only recommend rooting and uninstalling what you don't need.
=> Now the phone consumes even less than before and I am very happy! :)

Cheers, UP

YourBuddy2

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Solved:
I can confirm that on my AT&T note 4, battery got worse after lollipop. But I solved the problem even though it disguises itself as 'android system'.

Uncheck this:
Connections->More Networks->Mobile Networks->Mobile Data:
Enhanced 4G LTE Services

I found that mobile is constantly running even though I'm on WiFi when the enhanced LTE is enabled. Once I disabled, 'screen' is now the highest usage again.

nauman73

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Solved:
I can confirm that on my AT&T note 4, battery got worse after lollipop. But I solved the problem even though it disguises itself as 'android system'.

Uncheck this:
Connections->More Networks->Mobile Networks->Mobile Data:
Enhanced 4G LTE Services

I found that mobile is constantly running even though I'm on WiFi when the enhanced LTE is enabled. Once I disabled, 'screen' is now the highest usage again.

I am using unlocked Note 4 N910G and it came with Lollipop pre-installed. I am not very happy with the battery life and the Android System is taking a lot of battery. I do not see the Enhanced 4G LTE Services under Connections->More Networks->Mobile Networks->Mobile Data.

Any clues?

bobxxz

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I am using unlocked Note 4 N910G and it came with Lollipop pre-installed. I am not very happy with the battery life and the Android System is taking a lot of battery. I do not see the Enhanced 4G LTE Services under Connections->More Networks->Mobile Networks->Mobile Data.

Any clues?

Are you under AT&T? I believe this only applies to AT&T not sure though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon