Hello All,

I am looking to completely gut my Note 4 and reinstall the firmware. I have read amongst some of the forums that Best Buy can actually flash the handset and reinstall the firmware, this has fixed many issues of the Note 4 for people. I have many issues with this handset that I believe maybe fixed by pulling the plug and reinstalling this information. I would go to Best Buy and have them do this, but I am in Canada, and the Best Buy here doesn't do such a thing.

I am experiencing Bluetooth issues, speed issues, sometimes battery issues, choppyness across all of touch wiz, poor reception, and sometimes very slow Wifi connectivity. From what I have researched this can be all potentially fixed by flashing my phone. I do not care for a custom ROM, I will take the stock TouchWiz. I do not want to have anything done to my warranty, but I also want to make my damn phone work the way its supposed to!

Can anyone comment on this? All the little tricks, disabling apps, bloatware, cache partition, factory wipe etc. I have done all of this and it hasn't fixed much.

Oh ya and I get the "unfortunately ....... has stopped working" This has been from TouchWiz, Contacts, Google Play Services so on and so forth. Not all the time, but I would assume that this shouldn't be happening at all.

Come on everyone! Fill this thread full of information! Help is needed!

Thanks!
    03-21-2015 09:02 PM
    1) Best Buy doesn't do it, they have a Samsung employee or two (depending on day and time) working in their store who actually does it.

2) Just grab a stock ROM from SamMobile Firmwares (it's probably an N900W8 - look for the firmware for your carrier). You'll have to create a free account to download the file. There are instructions on the download page, but we have a full guide - [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN. the first time you watch every move you make and check it twice, and it's still scary. The 10th time you do it, watching the grass grow in the winter in Siberia is more exciting.

If the phone isn't rooted, there's not much you can remove. If it is, don't remove, freeze. (Use Link2SD.) Then,if you find that the phone doesn't work properly without that app, just unfreeze it. (I just had that with Google Search. Froze it and voice search in Maps stopped working. Just unfroze it, no big deal.) If the phone works for a few months with the apps you have frozen, uninstall them. I'd make backups of all of them first anyway. I have all my apps backed up, and the backup files on my desktop. If I need one I don't have to download it. and if Google "improves" an app to the point that it's useless, I have a backup of the old working version. (When you have 950 apps backed up - and that doesn't include the internal Android apps - you think of things like that.)

You can probably also freeze a lot of the S- stuff and Samsung stuff. Do you really use all of them? I hardly use any of them.
    Will6371 and RionDunn like this.
    03-21-2015 09:29 PM
    Watch/read the instructions, then follow them to the letter. It will be breeze.
    03-22-2015 12:43 AM
    1) Best Buy doesn't do it, they have a Samsung employee or two (depending on day and time) working in their store who actually does it.

2) Just grab a stock ROM from SamMobile Firmwares (it's probably an N900W8 - look for the firmware for your carrier). You'll have to create a free account to download the file. There are instructions on the download page, but we have a full guide - [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN. the first time you watch every move you make and check it twice, and it's still scary. The 10th time you do it, watching the grass grow in the winter in Siberia is more exciting.

If the phone isn't rooted, there's not much you can remove. If it is, don't remove, freeze. (Use Link2SD.) Then,if you find that the phone doesn't work properly without that app, just unfreeze it. (I just had that with Google Search. Froze it and voice search in Maps stopped working. Just unfroze it, no big deal.) If the phone works for a few months with the apps you have frozen, uninstall them. I'd make backups of all of them first anyway. I have all my apps backed up, and the backup files on my desktop. If I need one I don't have to download it. and if Google "improves" an app to the point that it's useless, I have a backup of the old working version. (When you have 950 apps backed up - and that doesn't include the internal Android apps - you think of things like that.)

You can probably also freeze a lot of the S- stuff and Samsung stuff. Do you really use all of them? I hardly use any of them.
    Thanks for the great reply! I'm just wondering if all of this work is going to actually solve my issues with my Note 4? Do you think this will reload everything to the way it should of been out of box?
    03-22-2015 01:01 AM
    Do you think this will reload everything to the way it should of been out of box?
    Yes, that is the purpose of flashing the original stock software.
    03-22-2015 01:07 AM
    I had a lot of the same problems you described and i did a factory reset and never looked back phone is running better then ever

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-23-2015 03:47 PM
    Just do a factory reset. You shouldn't need to flash any firmware.

I'd do the factory reset through the stock recovery mode. There are lots of tutorials and videos out there on how to do this. This will bring back your Note 4 back to how it was out of the box minus any stock firmware updates that have been installed on it.
    03-23-2015 05:32 PM