Lollipop: Yay or Nay?

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
So I'm on Sprint and just downloaded the latest Lollipop update for my Note 4 (I'm still on Kit Kat.) I was going to install it but wanted to check with y'all first.

So what's the consensus? Upgrade or stick with Kit Kat? Anyone having problems with Lollipop? What are the benefits of upgrading to it? How many people have upgraded?

Wish I knew how to put up a poll (I'm using the Android Central app right now.)

nemopsp

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm on at&t Note 4 don't have the update.. but i say nah... but update to you... being rooted is better on 4.4.4 with TouchWiz rom

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Note 4 - Amoled display. LolliFlop - all that whiteness. battery life? Great if you don't use the screen. (Amoled screens use a LOT more power displaying white pixels than they do displaying black pixels. (A really black pixel is off - it doesn't use any power.)

So what do you get for going to 5.1 (forget about 5.0 to 5.0.2 - they have a known memory leak, among all the other bugs)? A different looking screen? The big fix was 4.4.4 - it fixed SSL/Heartbled.

One vote for not yet. (I usually let the early adopters jump on the update, then see how many bugs thy complain about. I'm still running 4.4.2 as my daily driver, with a 4.4.4 ROM in SafeStrap to play with when I have time.)

mikakat84

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Great battery life with mine.
No issues here.
Although all the white bothers me...not good for battery life. Google keyboard and the status icons

Posted via the Android Central App

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Note 4 - Amoled display. LolliFlop - all that whiteness. battery life? Great if you don't use the screen. (Amoled screens use a LOT more power displaying white pixels than they do displaying black pixels. (A really black pixel is off - it doesn't use any power.)

So what do you get for going to 5.1 (forget about 5.0 to 5.0.2 - they have a known memory leak, among all the other bugs)? A different looking screen? The big fix was 4.4.4 - it fixed SSL/Heartbled.

One vote for not yet. (I usually let the early adopters jump on the update, then see how many bugs thy complain about. I'm still running 4.4.2 as my daily driver, with a 4.4.4 ROM in SafeStrap to play with when I have time.)

After researching the memory leak and finding it seems that it only affects Nexus devices, I flashed the Germany rom from SamMobile. Battery life has not deteriorated in my usage. My only real gripe was the "blocking" mode that was buggered. That has been fixed with the non region specific update(still 5.0.1)that was released on SamMobile on the 21st. ART makes for a smoother TouchWiz. So yes go for it! (Vodacom South Africa)

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I see no point in updating so far I'm extremely happy with the performance and not a fan of all the white and flat iOS like style of lollipop.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Im not in a hurry for the update, my verizon note 4 is great like it is. This is probably the first time i havent been excited about an update in a longtime. Maybe because i am happy with my phone like it is, or maybe all the problems that lollipop keeps having to have fixed.

Ill download it when it gets here, but to be honest my phone isnt bad at all stock w 4.4.4

Verizon Note4 w/ Otterbox Defender

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm underwhelmed with the update. The notifications take up so much space when you swipe down...and I'm not impressed with the 'prioritizing' either because it's keeping smart remote (which I can't adjust) at the top...really? And some of my apps, particularly fb are acting a little wonky. No issues with battery life. But the screen for that is totally different now. It doesn't say how many hours of battery life, it's now a graph that says how many hours you have left of usage.

Skeediddley

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Yay! - I bit the bullet and flashed the 5.01 German rom about 3 weeks ago. Lollipop is smooth as butter on ice on the Note. I like the card notifications and overall it was running pretty sweet. New is better.

Nay! - After 3 weeks of blissful lollipopping, I woke up one morning a few days ago to find my battery had been drained completely. After uninstalling everything, switching off everything, and eventually running in safe mode, I couldn't stop Android OS keeping my device awake and thus ploughing through battery. So, I flashed back to KK yesterday. Battery back to 2 days standby 5-6 hrs SOT. Old just works.

Sorry, that didnt help much did it. :)

seacow1500

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I am on Sprint as well and installed it. It does seem a bit quicker but as others said not a fan of all the white and to me seems to ma a little childish looking. Wish I had not gotten the update.

magichoward

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if they researched it first . and asked peoples thoughts. It seems most people (Inc me) don't like the colors. Plus I wonder if it was a dark theme maybe we would get an extra hour of battery life?
I haven't updated yet not sure I will.

Posted via the Android Central App. Magichoward

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Lollipop looks great and I had improved battery life, but I've downgraded back to 4.4.4 so I can run xposed mods

Ambivalencetech

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Another vote to not yet. Rooted kk running touchwiz until bugs on lollipop are resolved and all xposed modules available.

Mr-Guy

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
On sprint and faster, what is all this white background people are talking about?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084