07-26-2015 08:46 PM
77 123 ...
tools
    So I'm on Sprint and just downloaded the latest Lollipop update for my Note 4 (I'm still on Kit Kat.) I was going to install it but wanted to check with y'all first.

So what's the consensus? Upgrade or stick with Kit Kat? Anyone having problems with Lollipop? What are the benefits of upgrading to it? How many people have upgraded?

Wish I knew how to put up a poll (I'm using the Android Central app right now.)
    03-22-2015 07:35 PM
    I'm on at&t Note 4 don't have the update.. but i say nah... but update to you... being rooted is better on 4.4.4 with TouchWiz rom

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    03-22-2015 07:43 PM
    if you do it properly (cache wipe, reboot), lollipop should extend battery life by 10%.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    03-22-2015 08:34 PM
    cache wipe...reboot then install??
    03-22-2015 09:12 PM
    cache wipe...reboot then install??
    No, install, update all apps, cache wipe, reboot two more times.
    03-22-2015 09:20 PM
    So I guess so far we're 1-1 for updating?
    03-22-2015 10:12 PM
    So I guess so far we're 1-1 for updating?
    I'm happy with the update.
    03-22-2015 10:21 PM
    Note 4 - Amoled display. LolliFlop - all that whiteness. battery life? Great if you don't use the screen. (Amoled screens use a LOT more power displaying white pixels than they do displaying black pixels. (A really black pixel is off - it doesn't use any power.)

So what do you get for going to 5.1 (forget about 5.0 to 5.0.2 - they have a known memory leak, among all the other bugs)? A different looking screen? The big fix was 4.4.4 - it fixed SSL/Heartbled.

One vote for not yet. (I usually let the early adopters jump on the update, then see how many bugs thy complain about. I'm still running 4.4.2 as my daily driver, with a 4.4.4 ROM in SafeStrap to play with when I have time.)
    Vylet22 likes this.
    03-22-2015 10:32 PM
    Great battery life with mine.
    No issues here.
    Although all the white bothers me...not good for battery life. Google keyboard and the status icons

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-22-2015 10:47 PM
    Note 4 - Amoled display. LolliFlop - all that whiteness. battery life? Great if you don't use the screen. (Amoled screens use a LOT more power displaying white pixels than they do displaying black pixels. (A really black pixel is off - it doesn't use any power.)

So what do you get for going to 5.1 (forget about 5.0 to 5.0.2 - they have a known memory leak, among all the other bugs)? A different looking screen? The big fix was 4.4.4 - it fixed SSL/Heartbled.

One vote for not yet. (I usually let the early adopters jump on the update, then see how many bugs thy complain about. I'm still running 4.4.2 as my daily driver, with a 4.4.4 ROM in SafeStrap to play with when I have time.)
    After researching the memory leak and finding it seems that it only affects Nexus devices, I flashed the Germany rom from SamMobile. Battery life has not deteriorated in my usage. My only real gripe was the "blocking" mode that was buggered. That has been fixed with the non region specific update(still 5.0.1)that was released on SamMobile on the 21st. ART makes for a smoother TouchWiz. So yes go for it! (Vodacom South Africa)
    03-23-2015 12:29 AM
    I like it

03-23-2015 12:46 AM
    I see no point in updating so far I'm extremely happy with the performance and not a fan of all the white and flat iOS like style of lollipop.
    03-23-2015 01:03 AM
    Im not in a hurry for the update, my verizon note 4 is great like it is. This is probably the first time i havent been excited about an update in a longtime. Maybe because i am happy with my phone like it is, or maybe all the problems that lollipop keeps having to have fixed.

Ill download it when it gets here, but to be honest my phone isnt bad at all stock w 4.4.4

Verizon Note4 w/ Otterbox Defender
    03-23-2015 01:32 AM
    Yeah, I'm underwhelmed with the update. The notifications take up so much space when you swipe down...and I'm not impressed with the 'prioritizing' either because it's keeping smart remote (which I can't adjust) at the top...really? And some of my apps, particularly fb are acting a little wonky. No issues with battery life. But the screen for that is totally different now. It doesn't say how many hours of battery life, it's now a graph that says how many hours you have left of usage.
    godzillinois likes this.
    03-23-2015 03:34 AM
    Yay! - I bit the bullet and flashed the 5.01 German rom about 3 weeks ago. Lollipop is smooth as butter on ice on the Note. I like the card notifications and overall it was running pretty sweet. New is better.

Nay! - After 3 weeks of blissful lollipopping, I woke up one morning a few days ago to find my battery had been drained completely. After uninstalling everything, switching off everything, and eventually running in safe mode, I couldn't stop Android OS keeping my device awake and thus ploughing through battery. So, I flashed back to KK yesterday. Battery back to 2 days standby 5-6 hrs SOT. Old just works.

Sorry, that didnt help much did it.
    godzillinois likes this.
    03-23-2015 05:06 AM
    I am on Sprint as well and installed it. It does seem a bit quicker but as others said not a fan of all the white and to me seems to ma a little childish looking. Wish I had not gotten the update.
    03-23-2015 06:13 AM
    I wonder if they researched it first . and asked peoples thoughts. It seems most people (Inc me) don't like the colors. Plus I wonder if it was a dark theme maybe we would get an extra hour of battery life?
    I haven't updated yet not sure I will.

Posted via the Android Central App. Magichoward
    03-23-2015 07:11 AM
    Lollipop looks great and I had improved battery life, but I've downgraded back to 4.4.4 so I can run xposed mods

03-23-2015 07:31 AM
    Another vote to not yet. Rooted kk running touchwiz until bugs on lollipop are resolved and all xposed modules available.

03-23-2015 07:31 AM
    On sprint and faster, what is all this white background people are talking about?

03-23-2015 07:34 AM
    Ive just rooted my Note 4 and upgraded to Lollipop (on past experience I doubt my carrier will upgrade us to Lollipop)

Definitely underwhelmed for a number of reasons.
    -Battery life seems to have deteriorated markedly
    - Dont really like the lollipop interface, as mentioned above the notifications take up way to much screen space
    - Ive lost silent mode, can only choose between vibrate and sound on mode now in the top bar
    - phone now randomly switches to easy mode
    - keep getting very annoying touchwiz default choice promp when I press the home button to get back to the home screen.cant get it to go away.
    - Bluetooth worked perfectly before, now it keeps cutting out on my BT headphones
    - For some reason when browsing the internet on Dolphin browser the touch screen doesnt respond when I try to swipe the screen to scroll up or down down, never had this problem before.

These are only the things I have discovered since yesterday evening. I would be interested to hear from others if they have had similar experiences or if Im doing something wrong.

Is there a stable version of Lollipop for the GN4 that Im unaware of?
    Could it be that rooting the phone has created these problems?
    Can anyone provide a link to info on how to get back to Kitkat?

thanks
    03-23-2015 08:42 AM
    Does anybody else know a better solution on how to drag and drop content from one program to another.

Example with Kitkat and previous OS you were able to press and hold down on lets say a street address on an email and once you let go it would bring up a small window with options like select all, copy translate, etc... with Note 4 and multitasking you could just click and drag that address to google maps.

With Lollipop OS that option of clicking and dragging the street address to maps you can no longer do, to me it has looked like it has disappeared can someone please help
    03-23-2015 10:41 AM
    I won't bother with the update since it doesn't really add many new features and introduces new problems.
    Plus, I'm on Verizon and it doesn't look like there are plans to release the update anyways...
    03-23-2015 11:53 AM
    I think I might wait on it then, I really don't have a need for it anyways other than improving battery life.

Anyone know how to delete the update I downloaded so I don't accidentally upgrade? Or at least transfer it to my computer to back up or something?
    03-23-2015 12:05 PM
    lollipop is not blocking phone while you have it on your pocket? i have read something about it
    03-23-2015 02:09 PM
77 123 ...