AT&T Note 4 updating... looks like Lollipop

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, didn't want to try it, did it, because wasn't confident in disabling the OTA with the instructions shown. So had a couple of glitches, phone got real hot, took battery and SD card out, that solved that problem. Took over 2 hours to download as said by others. Did a couple reboots, cleared phone's Cache, and other than phone getting super hot, that was it.

Now as far as I can tell only problem is I can't access any of my Old S Notes when I import them, many have conflict behind the name. Shows over 140 and all I can get is some of them. When I click on Recent, just get 5 notes, when I hit the All notes button, the app force closes. Tried uninstalling samsung account and reinstalling a couple times, tried clearing app data and cache, nothing works to get access to old notes, just force closes. I can access through S Note Widget a few more, but not all the ones from before. So I guess I have to wait until my other devices get updated to Lollipop. Kind of PO'd about not having access on the phone for those old notes.

Otherwise, does seem okay so far. Have to see tomorrow what happens when I play with it more.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The phone runs just as great as before. I'm glad AT&T seems to have thoroughly vetted this update before letting loose on my phone.

♻from the n.4 Prime✒🍭

qbnkelt

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
The phone runs just as great as before. I'm glad AT&T seems to have thoroughly vetted this update before letting loose on my phone.

♻from the n.4 Prime✒🍭
You know I was concerned after I read so many negative reports on other phones, but my phone hasn't suffered any issues.
It did take forever to download and for the apps to optimise but it's been brilliant ever since.
I did reboot after it finished.
Really like the notification centre updates that allows a view into the notifications as they come in.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

gpo1956

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I've got to say, I'm finally impressed. The lag is gone and the phone now "just works". I haven't found anything I done like about lollipop.

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
My expericence with the upgrade:

1 - Searched for updates, found it available on 3-24-2015. My Note's only about 2 months old, I'm in NC, if any of that matters
2 - Downloaded the update. Took about 2 hours over strong wifi (same room as the router)
3 - Tried to apply the update. At first, nothing at all happened. Then more nothing happened. Rebooted the phone.
4 - Tried to apply the update, which finally began after a few minutes of waiting. Phone prompted me to reboot to continue the process
5 - Rebooted. My phone is encrypted. Put in my encryption password. Update process ran for about 10 seconds, then phone booted up the rest of the way
6 - Informed that the upgrade failed. Tried to reapply it. After a few minutes, it told me that "my phone was up to date, and I could check for updates again in 24 hours". That's typical AT&T, not Samsung's fault
7 - Factory Data Reset my phone to remove encryption (was planning on doing this post-update anyway)
8 - Re-downloaded the update. Took 2.5 hours this time (same wifi, same room)
9 - Attempted to apply the update. This time it worked
10 - Took about 30 minutes for the upgrade process (keep in mind this was on a functionally "fresh" image from the FDR)
11 - Took anther 10 minutes to optimize my apps (51 in total)
12 - Great success!
13 - Once it was settled (another 10 minutes) I did another FDR just to be on the safe side
14 - FDR restored the phone to Lollipop as desired (5.0.1)
15 - Disabled all the apps I don't use, NFC, Samsung Fit (which I've heard is what causes the battery drain on the S5 as it is constantly trying to take your blood pressure)

So far so good from there, though I can't attest to battery life as it's still plugged in. Phone certainly seems snappy enough. I had no complaints about KitKat, but I figured I'd keep getting pushed to update so I might as well do it on my own terms.

Don't love the "bottom-of-the-menu" animation, where it's a wave centered around your finger. Looks like the phone has water damage till you release. But whatever, that's just an animation.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I am Scared to update my note-4, After reading the reviwes of users.

I downloaded it yesterday. I did not do a wipe; I did not clear any caches. It took about 90 minutes from start to finish. Everything has worked perfectly without any glitches whatsoever. And the phone is just quicker/smoother in every aspect.
(Note: I do not use an SD card. From what I have read, many of the users experiencing problems seem to be the ones that have an SD card.)

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
That wait is an AT&T thing, not from Samsung. If you're going to do a factory reset on the phone anyway, doing one clears out that timer and you can re-download the upgrade. XDA also suggest just clearing the cache and data for the upgrade app, which might let you try again without waiting but keep all the other data on your phone, but I think you'll have to re-download the upgrade file again.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded it yesterday. I did not do a wipe; I did not clear any caches. It took about 90 minutes from start to finish. Everything has worked perfectly without any glitches whatsoever. And the phone is just quicker/smoother in every aspect.
(Note: I do not use an SD card. From what I have read, many of the users experiencing problems seem to be the ones that have an SD card.)

Same here. This update really made things smooth and fast.

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
i updated to lollipop but my phone seems to be having issues with google play services i keep getting errors does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it?

Pete777

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Updated yesterday and everything is running good so far. Google Play Services updated without issue. Not noticing any kind of abnormal battery drain either. It was a long process to go through the update routine so be patient.

Posted via the Android Central App

Pete777

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
By the way, I inadvertently started the update in one wi fi area and travelled to 3 other wi fi locations. The routine was intuitive enough to pause the download and pick up where it left off when I entered another wi fi spot. I wouldn't recommend doing this. Just saying if it happens, don't get too concerned.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
My upgrade also took the 2.5 hours from start to finish with really strong wifi. Google Play Services error popped up so I clicked the notification and updated it, then it went away. Updated a few apps, cleared cache just for kicks, rebooted, and it's been great!

datastar

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I got my update from AT&T this morning, it took about 30 minutes for the actual update. I woke up this morning and the notification stated there was newer version from AT&T so I started the update and took shower and got ready for work and the update was finished. I didn't notice the lag others complained about but the update certainly made the phone faster. I ran a few of my favorite apps like Flipboard, Facebook, Clash of Clans, Super Cross Fighter, and Enigmo; they all performed better in my opinion. The AnTuTu Benchmark test result is 42478, the Geekbench 3 test results are Single Core = 935 and Double Core 2762. The interface is a lot cooler and smoother. Love it thus far!

Last edited:

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
i updated to lollipop but my phone seems to be having issues with google play services i keep getting errors does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it?

Most people had success including me to reboot into recovery and clear cache partition. I took an extra step and clear cache and date from the app in the App Manager. No more issues with installing apps also.

anon67808

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
My phone downloaded the update that I didn't want so when it asked me to postpone the install, I said yes every time. I went to bed last night and when I woke up, I have 5.0.1 on my phone. You don't know how mad I am right now. What does it do, keep hounding you if you want to install and if you don't answer within a certain time, it just does it anyway. Why don't we have the checkboxes that say do not automatically install updates? Not happy this morning.