AT&T Note 4 updating... looks like Lollipop

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
On all of the current Lollipop threads there are as many people having major problems w/ Lollipop as there are having improved experiences so there is obviously something wrong with the Lollipop OS.

You should not be forced into doing a factory reset because an OS system update was forced on you. It is BS that you pay for the phone & the monthly service and are forced to spend time trying to make your phone work correctly like it did on Kit Kat.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
On all of the current Lollipop threads there are as many people having major problems w/ Lollipop as there are having improved experiences so there is obviously something wrong with the Lollipop OS.

You should not be forced into doing a factory reset because an OS system update was forced on you. It is BS that you pay for the phone & the monthly service and are forced to spend time trying to make your phone work correctly like it did on Kit Kat.
This kind of thing is why a vast many many people choose iPhone. I'm one of the lucky ones, Lollipop has been nothing but positive for me thus far.

📐♻from the sliq side with the n.Edge✒🍫

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
People will complain about ANYTHING no matter how good it is. There were just as many ppl on here complaining daily about a problem with KitKat. There will be issues with any update. That's technology. I am fortunate that I have no problems with the update. It has improved my phone.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
People will complain about ANYTHING no matter how good it is. There were just as many ppl on here complaining daily about a problem with KitKat. There will be issues with any update. That's technology. I am fortunate that I have no problems with the update. It has improved my phone.

people went on and on about Jelly Bean as well.

I have been lucky. I have yet to experience any of the issues people seem to have with any of the updates from Honeycomb up to now. Only time I ever had glitches was with my GS3 when I rooted, installed TWRP and flashed custom ROMS thinking if I could get it just 1ms faster....lol

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Re: AT&T Note 4 updating... looks like Lollipop

I've never had any real issues with updates that Verizon didn't cause, haven't had once since my Rezound got its last "enhancement" update from Verizon. The last actual broken update I got was on my Tab 1, in 2011, and they pushed a fix shortly after.
I don't do an fdr or cache dump after an update but I do several reboots the first day and by the last one the phone/tablet is usually working just fine unless there's an app not ready for the update. That usually is easy to find using Watch Dog and I uninstall it.
With every update there will be apps that don't play nice at first, usually because they haven't been updated yet.
As far as Apple, every time you do an iTunes corded sync it does a factory wipe during the process so don't think ios never needs an fdr.

anon67808

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
This kind of thing is why a vast many many people choose iPhone. I'm one of the lucky ones, Lollipop has been nothing but positive for me thus far.

������♻from the sliq side with the n.Edge✒������

I consider myself a lucky one as well. I didn't want the update, was holding out for root access, but have it and have zero issues with it with exception of the new do not disturb mode that I thought was destroyed however, I figured it out and it is a-ok in my book.

Battery life seems substantially better as well.

Chris Beaudoin

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Its downloading a 1161.38 MB update.... Look like it is likely Lollipop finally for AT&T

Of course its going very slow, so it will take a little while before I am certain what it is.

Either wait for the notice, or go into settings and manually check for an update. Change your date if need be (if you want to check again within less than the 24 hour waiting period), and manually check the update.

I have a Note 4 SM-N910A and I still have yet to recieve the update. I am using the phone with cricket which is owed by att so I should be receiving OTA updates, but no dice. I live in wisconsin and was wondering if anyone lives in this region and has recieved the update? Yes, I did go to about device and check for updates. I hate the 24 hour "check again" restriction.

Posted via the Android Central App

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a Note 4 SM-N910A and I still have yet to recieve the update. I am using the phone with cricket which is owed by att so I should be receiving OTA updates, but no dice. I live in wisconsin and was wondering if anyone lives in this region and has recieved the update? Yes, I did go to about device and check for updates. I hate the 24 hour "check again" restriction.

Very interesting. Perhaps you know someone with an AT&T SIM that will let you try getting the update... if its important to you.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I consider myself a lucky one as well. I didn't want the update, was holding out for root access, but have it and have zero issues with it with exception of the new do not disturb mode that I thought was destroyed however, I figured it out and it is a-ok in my book.

Battery life seems substantially better as well.

What's wrong with the do not disturb mode? I have not used it on this update yet but it is a feature I use regularly. Has it changed?

anon67808

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Yes and no, it's a little different. I had it on all the time when I had KK but even though I had it on all the time, it wasn't active until my set schedule which was 7 days a week from 9p-7a.. In the pull-down, it was always turned on and the logo was always in the top left of the phone, 24/7. There was no AT&T logo there, just the blocking mode logo telling me it was in standby. Now, you can turn it on to immediately do not disturb for certain situations. Or, in my case, I have it turned off but have a schedule in do not disturb mode settings to turn on/off 7 days a week at 9p/7a. At 9p every night, icon shows in top left and when you pull down, it shows do not disturb mode is running. As far as I remember, you used to be able to let individual contacts break through with a call or text. Now, you cannot. At minimum, you can have your favorites break through which in my case is like 20 people. Before, all I had was my wife breaking through so now, I have nobody however I have the 2 call in 5 minutes break through checked so I told my wife to call back to back if the situation arises.

It was kind of confusing to me at first but everyone's situation for using the feature is different.

BennyBlanco99

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
A couple of questions/issues with the update. Please note that I also have Nova Launcher installed so let me know if there is anything I can do through that. My biggest issue is the scroll edge effect. When you get to the top or bottom of a page and try to scroll further it puts a giant colored blob on that part of the screen. It is the most annoying thing I have ever seen and it's really bothering me. I have searched and searched but cannot find any way to get rid of it. Next are the lock screen notifications. On KK my text/email/sports notifications would show up perfectly. After the update I now have a constant lock screen notification that volume locker is running (which it is) and I am constantly getting a notification every time my GPS location updates. Those notifications were not on the lock screen previously. I went to volume locker and disabled notifications but that renders the app useless as it notifies you when you change the volume and you have to click the notification to apply the change. I also am unable to expand the notifications with the double swipe down. I read others having that problem with Nova Launcher. Any thoughts on these issues?

hamsterwheel

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
What is strange is that I'm on att, have an att sim, an att branded phone, and haven't received the update...not forced anyway. I haven't checked software update to see if it's there though. Kinda afraid to cause I'm not sure I even want the update. And my hubby hasn't received it either...are we lucky? Or is something messed up lol

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
This damn Amazon app though. On the verge of disabling it for the time being.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
What is strange is that I'm on att, have an att sim, an att branded phone, and haven't received the update...not forced anyway. I haven't checked software update to see if it's there though. Kinda afraid to cause I'm not sure I even want the update. And my hubby hasn't received it either...are we lucky? Or is something messed up lol
Some mifht say you're lucky. I, however, have had good luck with the updates. Both my Note 4 and Note 3, that received thw updates last Tuesday work just as well as my Note Edge that's still on Kit Kat. I don't think I can, reasonably, expect more.

anon67808

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Correction to my last post. I was confusing the native Do Not Disturb mode with the app called Agent. On Do Not Disturb mode, you cannot choose specific contacts to break through by phone or text. On the Agent app you can. In the old Blocking Mode, you also could choose specific contacts. The Do Not Disturb mode gives you the choice of favorites, all, or none. There is also no call twice in a five minute span break through on Do Not Disturb mode. Agent app has this option however as did the old Blocking Mode.

Confusing, yes.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Five days into Lollipop I've got to say my battery life is worse. I barely made it home today without running out of juice (had to use power saving mode) and the majority of the day my phone was in my locker in airplane mode! I'm going to bite the bullet and factory reset. I hope all that work pays off. No other troubles since the update though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Five days into Lollipop I've got to say my battery life is worse. I barely made it home today without running out of juice (had to use power saving mode) and the majority of the day my phone was in my locker in airplane mode! I'm going to bite the bullet and factory reset. I hope all that work pays off. No other troubles since the update though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Have you wiped the cache in Recovery?

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
When my phone first updated it had a couple of short days and I have since thought it was probably backing up junk to the cloud. Lots of backup I relied on Kies and had disabled all the other methods. L I think re-enabled the cloud junk. Couple of cache clears and a plain old restart or two and battery life is better than before the L update.

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Quote Originally Posted by sparksd View Post
To wipe the cache partition, follow these steps:
1.Turn the device off.
2.Press and hold the following three buttons at the same time:
•Volume Up key
•Home key
•Power key.
3.When the phone vibrates, release the Power and Home key but continue to press and hold the Volume Up key.
4.Continue holding the Volume Up key until the Android System Recovery menu displays and then release. This step may take several seconds.
5.Press the Volume Down key to highlight 'wipe cache partition.'
6.Press the Power key to select.
7.When the wipe cache partition is complete, 'Reboot system now' is highlighted.
8.Press the Power key to restart the device.

I found this in the stickies area in the forum. I had the same issue you were having. It seems to be draining the way it did before the update now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz