Ugly Orange Messages in Lollipop - How do you change it?

Phil Kurimski

May 1, 2015
Visit site
There is a way to change the colors on your screen using the Developer options. Using the Simulate color space option you can use Monocromacy...Deuteranomaly (red-green)...Protoanomaly (red-green) and Tritanomaly (blue-yellow) which will change the colors used on your phone. IMO some of these choices are worse but someone may find one of these useful.

SarahMarie1227

May 2, 2015
Visit site
There is a way to change the colors on your screen using the Developer options. Using the Simulate color space option you can use Monocromacy...Deuteranomaly (red-green)...Protoanomaly (red-green) and Tritanomaly (blue-yellow) which will change the colors used on your phone. IMO some of these choices are worse but someone may find one of these useful.

I did that, it changes colors of everything, like I have a purple rose as my wallpaper. One of those settings made it green. Then I greyscaled but who wants black and white everything?

Orange is the color of jail. I do not want to see jail while I'm conversating.

garne2t

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
How could they release this shinola? don't they do any testing? Had they done any user testing they must have realized that many people won't like the orange color. In addition to that it's difficult to read. Especially in on a bright day! Please allow us to change this Google!

adobepro

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I'm wondering if this is a Google joke, to see which phone manufacturer would actually use this color scheme without any changes -- Samsung does have control over modifying the system colors and such, and I'm still puzzled why Samsung would allow this on their Flagship phone? For the SG6, they allow customizable themes, but for the Note 4, it's like it's an abandoned model, with all of Samsung's focus on the SG6 and the future Note 5. The only way around this is to gain root access and install the Theme Engine yourself on the Note 4, because Samsung is either dragging it's feet because they don't want lost sales of the SG6 to the Note 4 [edit: at the expense of existing Note 4 owners] or they simply abandoned the phone from any further updates other than O/S updates like Lollipop.

Last edited:

adobepro

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
BTW, I complained to Samsung about this, to customer service, tech support and with reviews on their website. The website denied my reviews, the customer service chat conversation said the the Theme Engine on the SG6 was only developed for the SG6, with no plans to support the Note 4, and Tech Support, as helpful as they tried to be, confirmed that it's also not part of any plans to incorporate into the Note 4. I wasn't too happy about the Teal background on the Note 4 with Kit Kat, but with Lollipop, I found the phone repulsive to look at. Orange text messenger, a crazy looking notification screen (teal with yellow text, mixed with black and white alerts with a transparent background.) ugly teal/yellow settings, and way to bright white there and on menu screens. Now I'm stuck with the Note 4 Clown Edition, for the next two years -- thanks Samsung.

adobepro

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I found this, and will write them an email: Officeofthepresident

at

sea

[dot]

samsung

[dot]

com

(can't post links yet)

Let's see if anything happens from it -- I encourage everyone that reads this thread that wants to have the SG6 Theme Engine on their Note 4 to also write them, if they get enough complaints/requests, maybe they will push this update to Note 4 owners.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Changing to iPhone over a color? Wow...this is the best phone. A really silky reason to dump a phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

adobepro

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I'm dumbfounded by the response of Samsung. Here is the response from Samsung requesting that the Theme Engine on the SG6 be pushed over to the Note 4.

We understand your concern, however, the electronics business model is predicated upon cutting-edge research and continued innovative development. Today's access to the ever changing technology landscape is predicated on an infinite loop of continuous improvement that stimulates innovation.

Please note, all Samsung products are manufactured to the specifications of the service provider for whom they are produced, however, we will forward your feedback along to the appropriate parties for further review and consideration.

We again appreciate your feedback.

Thank you for your business.
Samsung Electronics America

adobepro

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I think if Samsung does not provide this update to the Note 4 or at least provide a way to bring back the original color scheme or revert back to Kit Kat as that is the original design of the phone that we purchased, the only recourse to pursue is small claims court for a non-material breach of contract. It's sort of tantamount to buying a car, which gets called in for a software update, and your car comes out instead of beige interior, it's now white, orange, teal and yellow -- new colors that you don't want and wouldn't have purchase (or at least as decision factor) if known at the time of sale compared to other car manufacturers because apparently someone knew better than you about design and doesn't want you driving with beige interior, they want you driving in "material design."

IMHO, they need to make new o/s's optional, with optional security updates that don't mess with the UI, or at the very least, have Google provide a way to change the UI, as phone manufactures either refuse to, or do it half baked, or do it by segmenting models as "feature" (Note 4 vs SG6) -- as an example, like Windows Updates, they don't mess with your UI, only major upgrades which are of your choice, like upgrading from Windows 95 -> XP, Windows 7 -> Windows 8 does the UI change.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I think if Samsung does not provide this update to the Note 4 or at least provide a way to bring back the original color scheme or revert back to Kit Kat as that is the original design of the phone that we purchased, the only recourse to pursue is small claims court for a non-material breach of contract.

Good luck (..and ridiculous)!! :eek:

If you don't like the color of the message app, just switch to another one. There's plenty of them that work just as well as the stock one. (Textra, GoSMS, Handcent, EvolveSMS, just to name a few.) And that's why Android is so good. You have plenty of choices to change the phone up to anyway you want. Or go to iPhone and have no choices whatsoever.

Last edited:

adobepro

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
tsells, that's very troubling. Why should the remedy be that Note 4 owners who do not like or want this change have to switch over to another one? Why should any owner be forced to do this? Note 4 owners didn't agree to the change, the change was forced without authorization. No different than a car manufacturer repainting the interior of your car that you don't want and wouldn't have bought in the first place if it had those colors. Totally unacceptable behavior. And it's not just the messaging app, it's the teal settings with yellow text, blinding white menus and a nutty notification screen featuring teal, another two shades of blue, black and white bars with a transparent background. This is not just about color either, it's about forced updates and no ability to customize the settings that they've changed. You're at the mercy of the google and phone manufacturers to decide what your phone is going to look like and how it will behave at any given moment. Don't fool yourself about choice. At any given moment, anything can change with a new O/S version, like with Kit Kat / SD Card Access, Samsung with Knox, as just because Android seems to give you a little bit of choice over the iphone now doesn't mean it will always be that way. It's important to be critical of any change to your device after your purchase, and If no one criticizes these practices, all of these companies will do whatever they want, whether you like it or not or agreed to it, smiling with your money in their pockets.

Anyways, Samsung can do this. Right now, we can too with root access. But rather than go through the whole process of rooting your phone, and making all these changes manually, I think Samsung should step up and provide this functionality to Note 4 owners with an update, sooner rather than later.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering if this is a Google joke, to see which phone manufacturer would actually use this color scheme without any changes -- Samsung does have control over modifying the system colors and such, and I'm still puzzled why Samsung would allow this on their Flagship phone? For the SG6, they allow customizable themes, but for the Note 4, it's like it's an abandoned model, with all of Samsung's focus on the SG6 and the future Note 5. The only way around this is to gain root access and install the Theme Engine yourself on the Note 4, because Samsung is either dragging it's feet because they don't want lost sales of the SG6 to the Note 4 [edit: at the expense of existing Note 4 owners] or they simply abandoned the phone from any further updates other than O/S updates like Lollipop.

This isn't Google, this is Samsung. It is Samsung's texting app.

adobepro

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Kelly, that's correct, they copied the orange material design color from Google's Messenger app --they copied the orange from user texting screen and applied that orange to also the user text listing screen. Regardless, it would still be better if we all had the option to change those colors. I think they should bundle like Windows Updates where security, performance and bug fixes as one download, and a new O/S version as another (all being optional with user permission to be installed) and also give you the ability to customize the phone settings, like themes that the SG6 has with TouchWiz and what HTC has with it's theme engine. If you don't care what you get, then by default, when there's a new update, you'll get it like Windows Update (where you set those preferences), but if you want to review the updates with a change log, then that should be an option.

Anyways, The Note 4 will be replaced soon with the Note 5, and I think when that happens, if we don't get this update prior to the refresh, we never will. I don't think any Note 4 owner is against having this update, and I'm advocating that before the refresh happens, contact Samsung and let them know you want the Theme Engine that the SG6 has before it's too late.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Kelly, that's correct, they copied the orange material design color from Google's Messenger app --they copied the orange from user texting screen and applied that orange to also the user text listing screen. Regardless, it would still be better if we all had the option to change those colors. I think they should bundle like Windows Updates where security, performance and bug fixes as one download, and a new O/S version as another (all being optional with user permission to be installed) and also give you the ability to customize the phone settings, like themes that the SG6 has with TouchWiz and what HTC has with it's theme engine. If you don't care what you get, then by default, when there's a new update, you'll get it like Windows Update (where you set those preferences), but if you want to review the updates with a change log, then that should be an option.

Anyways, The Note 4 will be replaced soon with the Note 5, and I think when that happens, if we don't get this update prior to the refresh, we never will. I don't think any Note 4 owner is against having this update, and I'm advocating that before the refresh happens, contact Samsung and let them know you want the Theme Engine that the SG6 has before it's too late.

They have options to send feedback when you talk to a Samsung tech. I told them about that ugly orange and they sent the feedback to the department at Samsung.

People should call on and ask to leave feedback about not being able to modify that color.

I used to have phones where I could modify the messaging template. I don't remember if it was my Samsung before Android or not though.

adobepro

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I did too, but more specifically, I asked for the SG6 Theme Engine to be pushed to the Note 4 (which will give Note 4 owners much more customization ability)-- check out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3MRU-SatY4

You'll see you can virtually apply any color you want (take a look at 2:18, you'll see the text messenger in green as an example the St. Patricks theme.)

However, chat support said no, it was only built for the SG6. Tech support said there are no plans to do so, and didn't say they would forward the message to anyone. Using the Officeofthepresident@sea.samsung.com or President@sta.samsung.com only did they say they'd look into it/forward it. I encourage any Note 4 user that wants this feature to contact that address and request that the SG6 Theme Engine be also pushed to Note 4 owners, we paid just as much money and it's also a current Flagship phone. If enough requests go to that Executive Support at Samsung, maybe they will not only listen, but actually do it -- I just hope they don't drag their feet if they do or that they won't do anything other than release it for the Note 5. It literally can be done now by copying the correct system files from the SG6 over to the Note 4, only you need is root access to do so.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1