Ugly Orange Messages in Lollipop - How do you change it?

adobepro

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Also, the only other current way of doing this right now is by rooting your phone and manually doing it. You can check youtube / xda developers on how-to.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Also, the only other current way of doing this right now is by rooting your phone and manually doing it. You can check youtube / xda developers on how-to.

Problem is, Verizon Note 4 has root, but last I saw, still in testing phase, AT&T has no root yet.

T-Mobile can be rooted.

No idea about Sprint.

adobepro

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Problem is, Verizon Note 4 has root, but last I saw, still in testing phase, AT&T has no root yet.

T-Mobile can be rooted.

No idea about Sprint.

I thought Verizon had some issues, but I guess they are solved/testing them now. Also, that was another reason I went with TMO just in case if I needed to. It's our phone/hardware, and we should be able to have admin/root access to it, like Windows/Linux. But for the users who can't, and the majority of users that don't know or who are nervous about doing so, you're only real solution is to contact Samsung ASAP. Once the Note 5 comes out, Note 4 owners will probably never get the SG6 Theme Engine update. Again, this beyond just the text messaging, you can customize your whole phone, a really nice feature to have that Note 4 owners should also have.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Complain to Samsung. Tell them you want the SG6 Theme Engine on your Note4 Officeofthepresident@sea.samsung.com or President@sta.samsung.com
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Last edited:

adobepro

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Here's an email template for your complaint/request (so no more excuses!)

Dear Sir/Madam:

As a Samsung customer, and an owner of the Samsung Note 4, I am disappointed to know that this phone does not have the Theme Engine that the SG6 has. After spending $[INSERT PRICE OF PHONE] on this current Flagship phone from [INSERT CARRIER,] I discovered that this does not have the Theme Engine that the SG6 has. They are equally priced and are equally current Samsung Flagship phones, so I'm quite disappointed that Samsung has still not pushed the Theme Engine to the Note 4.

The Lollipop update to my Note 4 contains design/style/color elements that I do not like and currently have no ability to change. With the Theme Engine update, I will be able to change that and customize the Note 4 to my preference.

My request is to please update Note 4 owners with the same Theme Engine as the SG6. They are both current Flagship phones, and deserve this customization update.

Thank you,
[Your Name]

Complain to Samsung. Tell them you want the SG6 Theme Engine on your Note 4
Officeofthepresident@sea.samsung.com or President@sta.samsung.com

ckchrisk

May 13, 2015
Visit site
so unlike kitkat 4.4.4 you cant hold the left key on the Samsung s4 active to customize messaging or any other options? All that key does now is bring up google.... seems like far less options with this lollipop update

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
so unlike kitkat 4.4.4 you cant hold the left key on the Samsung s4 active to customize messaging or any other options? All that key does now is bring up google.... seems like far less options with this lollipop update

You couldn't change this part of the messaging app in KitKat either.

The settings options are still there.

DaisyMay2826

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I hate it too. Those of us with Migraine Disease are very sensitive to colors. After working with the Lollipop colors for a while I got hit with a particularly nasty Migraine. The orange is very offensive, and the blue or green are a close second. Definite triggers for me. Not allowing customization is just too much Apple-ish for my taste. I purchased Textra for messaging, but still have to find a new keyboard app because the white keyboard is killing me. I truly hope the developers are paying attention.

Jay Santos1

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I hate it too. Those of us with Migraine Disease are very sensitive to colors. After working with the Lollipop colors for a while I got hit with a particularly nasty Migraine. The orange is very offensive, and the blue or green are a close second. Definite triggers for me. Not allowing customization is just too much Apple-ish for my taste. I purchased Textra for messaging, but still have to find a new keyboard app because the white keyboard is killing me. I truly hope the developers are paying attention.

Open the default texting app, menu button, settings, display.

You should be able to change them there.

jmeander

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Verizon S4. I'm slowly getting past the orange but the overall lack of contrast and the decreased font size, especially on notifications, is killing my old eyes. Even my teen daughter (who hasn't updated yet) said, "Ooohh..." when I showed her how small the font is on the notification preview - that second line of text below the sender's name.

I'm running large font size everywhere possible (huge is too much) but still find myself squinting at the screen way too often. And the material light keyboard in bright light? Useless.

I've tried every texting app there is over the years, but have always stuck with stock for the volume-button-zoom feature. Comes in very handy when I'm without my cheaters. None of the third-party apps have supported that in the past.

Very irritated at the lack of customization for the underlying theme. That's why I Android in the first place.

DaisyMay2826

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Jay Santos1,

I had already tried what you suggest, spending way too much time on it. Hence, the Migraine. The options are just not there. Forcing people to stay with a particular color scheme is not why I chose Android. I chose Android because I detest anything with an "i" in front of it, and the micro-managing that Apple does on everything. So, I added another keyboard app, but had to pay for Textra because I had been using the free one, and loved it for messaging, but the free one now has ads. And it is fully customize-able. There are thousands of people with visual issues that just cannot tolerate certain colors. I am thankful for Android being open-source, and am allowed to add apps to make things easier, but they crossed a line with this update, and I hope our voices will be heard.

paulygon

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't get migraines, I just know good design and this isn't it. My messages app is bright orange!?. Lollipop looks like a child's room with no exit. I've never actually seen a company try to rid themselves of customers with color scheme alone. Amazing! If they could just remember that their strength is giving the customer choices they might have at least lessened the damage this will cause in the long run.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Jay Santos1,

I had already tried what you suggest, spending way too much time on it. Hence, the Migraine. The options are just not there. Forcing people to stay with a particular color scheme is not why I chose Android. I chose Android because I detest anything with an "i" in front of it, and the micro-managing that Apple does on everything. So, I added another keyboard app, but had to pay for Textra because I had been using the free one, and loved it for messaging, but the free one now has ads. And it is fully customize-able. There are thousands people with visual issues that just cannot tolerate certain colors. I am thankful for Android being open-source, and am allowed to add apps to make things easier, but they crossed a line with this update, and I hope our voices will be heard.

About what is your brightness on?

I don't look at my messaging enough to get migraines and I've had migraines since I was two years old.

I have an overhead light on and a lamp by the chair and this is what mine is on and I can see it just fine. Keeping your brightness low helps a lot and is great for your battery.

Attachments

• 1431905913205.jpg
    1431905913205.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 48

Jenn Stafford

May 19, 2015
Visit site
I have an LG G2, so maybe it won't work the same, but I also couldn't stand the new color and found my way to this forum. I may have found a solution, so I came back to hopefully give some reprieve to everyone's rods and cones... Try going to Settings>Accessibility>Color Adjustment. From there, you are supposed to slide your finger to change the contrast. I have not figured out how to get exactly the colors I want, BUT I do know that just by playing around with it, I have gotten rid of the hideous orange! Let me know if it works for you!

LOL omg yes I got my messaging to an awesome color but everything else is hideodorous... but this is the first actual answer that has helped so I'll keep trying :) THANK YOU VERY MUCH :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samira