How do I have increased data use, shorter battery life since Kitkat 4.4.4 update?

Tony Gilbert

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Increased data use, shorter battery life since Kitkat 4.4.4 update

Until recently I was pretty happy with the battery life of my Note 4 and I was able to easily work inside my 1GB mobile data limit. But since the update to KitKat 4.4.4 both have gone off the rails.

In the first month after the update, my phone used 2GB of mobile data. I have since turned off or removed everything I could find that was consuming background data and I have been able to tame it a bit. But I'm still spending an extra $15 a month on data packs just in case.

Since the update, my battery life has dropped from around 3 days to less than 24 hours. I have a battery manager app now and that extends it a few hours, but it's still pitiful.

Is this a common complaint or something unique to my phone? What can I do about it?

Some additional info:

Looking at my power saving stats, the main things using up my battery are the Screen (29%), Android System (16%) and Android OS (14%). The screen seems to be the main offender, but checking the settings on that I am using auto-brightness with zero additional, the Screen Mode is "Adaptive Display", I have "Auto Adjust Screen Tone" checked and the screen timeout is "2 minutes" although I usually close it manually after each use. I also close any background apps before I close the screen. These are the measures I added to try to tame the battery use.

Is there any more info I can add to help diagnose these problems?

Last edited:

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Increased data use, shorter battery life since Kitkat 4.4.4 update

Until recently I was pretty happy with the battery life of my Note 4 and I was able to easily work inside my 1GB mobile data limit. But since the update to KitKat 4.4.4 both have gone off the rails.

In the first month after the update, my phone used 2GB of mobile data. I have since turned off or removed everything I could find that was consuming background data and I have been able to tame it a bit. But I'm still spending an extra $15 a month on data packs just in case.

Since the update, my battery life has dropped from around 3 days to less than 24 hours. I have a battery manager app now and that extends it a few hours, but it's still pitiful.

Is this a common complaint or something unique to my phone? What can I do about it?

Some additional info:

Looking at my power saving stats, the main things using up my battery are the Screen (29%), Android System (16%) and Android OS (14%). The screen seems to be the main offender, but checking the settings on that I am using auto-brightness with zero additional, the Screen Mode is "Adaptive Display", I have "Auto Adjust Screen Tone" checked and the screen timeout is "2 minutes" although I usually close it manually after each use. I also close any background apps before I close the screen. These are the measures I added to try to tame the battery use.

Is there any more info I can add to help diagnose these problems?

Have you tried doing a factory reset?