Fast Charging not working after Lollipop update?

Goosty

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't look like I'm getting fast charging even tho when I first plug in my charger it say adaptive fast charger connected. Anyone know?

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-25-22-33-23.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-03-25-22-33-23.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 428
  • Screenshot_2015-03-25-22-33-20.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-03-25-22-33-20.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 432

Goosty

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lollipop fast charging question...

Yeah there is no way this is fast charging if it's gna take almost 2 hours to charge the remaining 61% if the battery.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-25-23-22-52.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-03-25-23-22-52.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 420

bobxxz

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

One thing I found is that if you are using your phone while charging it will not fast charge.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Use battery monitor widget and log the charging profile, then post it here.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Goosty

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site

It won't fast charge if you are using the phone? Why would they change that from kit Kat to lollipop? Which battery monitor widget did you mean? I see there are a few different types.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

I'm quite certain fast charging is not available in the car anymore which is most likely the place you'd need it the most but I am getting fast charging using a wall plug. I think there are a few posts on another thread about the Lollipop update mentioning no 12v fast charging anymore. My guess is AT&T will issue an update to correct the issue. At least I hope they will.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm quite certain fast charging is not available in the car anymore which is most likely the place you'd need it the most but I am getting fast charging using a wall plug. I think there are a few posts on another thread about the Lollipop update mentioning no 12v fast charging anymore. My guess is AT&T will issue an update to correct the issue. At least I hope they will.
I don't remember having fast charge in the car? It was only with the wall charger that came with the phone.

bobxxz

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

It won't fast charge if you are using the phone? Why would they change that from kit Kat to lollipop? Which battery monitor widget did you mean? I see there are a few different types.

It's always been like that for me. Whenever I use my phone while charging it charges slow. When I am not using the phone and I let it charge, it charges pretty quick.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

I don't remember having fast charge in the car? It was only with the wall charger that came with the phone.

I purchased an Incipio Quick Charge 2.0 12v adapter & my phone did fast charge in the car until the Lollipop update. Now it doesn't. That's reason enough for me not to have Lollipop until AT&T corrects the issue but I don't have a choice because my phone automatically downloaded Lollipop.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site

Here ya go. Think adaptive charge is working. I can also attest that wireless charging is just fine also.

Screenshot_2015-03-26-20-25-54[1].jpg

Screenshot_2015-03-26-19-33-05[1].jpg

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

"12v fast charging" in Fast Charging is not the same thing as using a charger in the car on a 12V power source.

In a normal charger, the charger supplies 5V at whatever the phone wants to draw or whatever the charger can supply, whichever is less.

In a QC2 charger, the phone and charger can negotiate a higher voltage (as opposed to a higher amperage). QC2 supports standard charging (5V), and 9V and 12V charging modes to get more wattage across the wire.

So the only difference would be if your car charger is a QuickCharge 2.0 that supports 5, 9, and 12 volt modes. The phone would no longer be asking for 12v, but 9v fast charging would still work.

Of course, since the charger that comes with the Note 4 (at least on AT&T) only supports 5 and 9 volt charging, the loss of 12 volt charging on the phone side wouldn't make any difference to most Note 4 users, since our chargers can't provide 12v anyway.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
My car charger 12v adapter is QC 2. The task bar no longer says "fast charge" & the phone doesn't charge in the car anywhere near as quickly as it did w/ Kit Kat.

So as far as I know the Lollipop update caused me to lose car fast charging.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
My car charger 12v adapter is QC 2. The task bar no longer says "fast charge" & the phone doesn't charge in the car anywhere near as quickly as it did w/ Kit Kat.

So as far as I know the Lollipop update caused me to lose car fast charging.

Interesting. I wonder if your car charger is not capable of the 9V charging mode, so the phone asks for 9V and the charger can't provide it, and the charger offers 12V and the phone says "nope, can't handle that" at the moment, so they both fall back to 5V standard because they can't find a mutually-agreeable higher voltage.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I wonder if your car charger is not capable of the 9V charging mode, so the phone asks for 9V and the charger can't provide it, and the charger offers 12V and the phone says "nope, can't handle that" at the moment, so they both fall back to 5V standard because they can't find a mutually-agreeable higher voltage.

The fast charging in the car worked on Kit Kat so Lollipop is preventing it from working.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The fast charging in the car worked on Kit Kat so Lollipop is preventing it from working.

Agreed. I was just wondering if the root cause was because your specific QC2 car charger was only capable of 12v fast charging (and not 9v) and Lollipop took away your 12v fast charging and is instead only looking for 9v.

Does your car charger list the charging voltages available? It's usually printed on the charger somewhere.

Honestly, I didn't even realize the Note 4 could handle the 12v portion of the QC2 spec, since the charger that was shipped to be was a 5V/9V charger with no 12V support.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. I was just wondering if the root cause was because your specific QC2 car charger was only capable of 12v fast charging (and not 9v) and Lollipop took away your 12v fast charging and is instead only looking for 9v.

Does your car charger list the charging voltages available? It's usually printed on the charger somewhere.

Honestly, I didn't even realize the Note 4 could handle the 12v portion of the QC2 spec, since the charger that was shipped to be was a 5V/9V charger with no 12V support.

I'll look at the charger next time I'm in the car. I checked the manufacturer's website and they don't list those specs.

Quick Charge 2.0 USB Car Charger | Incipio

I think on another Lollipop thread several other forum members reported losing the car fast charge ability as well.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I'll look at the charger next time I'm in the car. I checked the manufacturer's website and they don't list those specs.

I think on another Lollipop thread several other forum members reported losing the car fast charge ability as well.

I don't see any way that a phone could know the difference between a car charger and a house charger.

Since your device is not branded Qualcomm maybe it does not actually comply with the QC2.0 standard.

Whotony

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Fast charge doesn't work on my Note 4 after lollipop.

The button is greyed out like the pic above.

Before LP I got a notice on the top bar that fast charge was activated upon pluggng in the phone, now I don't.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't see any way that a phone could know the difference between a car charger and a house charger.

Since your device is not branded Qualcomm maybe it does not actually comply with the QC2.0 standard.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/quick-charge

Scroll down to the bottom of the page of the above Qualcomm link & you'll see it listed as a Quick Charge 2.0 certified device. Qualcomm's website is how I discovered which brands/models were certified. I don't think Qualcomm actually manufactures/sells any 12v Quick Charge 2.0 12v adapters, in fact I don't think they sell anything to consumers just to OEM's.

Fast Charge is what Samsung calls it and it's their proprietary circuitry however it works exactly the same as Quick Charge 2.0 and works w/ QC 2.0 certified devices.

The fact remains that I had Fast Charge in my car w/ Kit Kat and now w/ Lollipop I don't. For that reason alone I'd much rather have Kit Kat. There's another Lollipop thread where a forum member posted he did have Fast Charge in his car w/ Lollipop using a Verizon 12v adapter so I look at it the same as I do your good experience w/ Lollipop vs. my bad one.

I will never be convinced AT&T did the right thing by forcing the Lollipop upgrade. Some people like me don't want to lose features, have problems & have to spend at least a couple of hours doing a factory reset, they just want a phone that works. I have no time to be factory resetting my phone but it looks like I don't have a choice. And I still don't know if a factory reset will resolve my issues. If I have to buy a different car 12v adapter besides spending more money that takes time too and again I'll be spending time & money not knowing if another 12v adapter will work until I try it. Lollipop turned my phone into one that isn't as functional as it was w/ Kit Kat.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Someone on Amazon posted that the unit you have pictured above was labeled as 5V and 9V only, no 12V. If that's the case (and I have no idea if the random reviewer knew what they were talking about) then it's an utter mystery why one QC 2.0 works and another does not. Odd....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL