04-30-2015 03:44 AM
96 1234
tools
    Hi all,
    So I updated today. My Note 4 is running Nova Prime, no rogue weird apps, device not hacked in any way. Uninterrupted update went without a hitch but here is whats not working to well or what I do not like now:

1. Terrible control over lock screen notifications, Apple does it SO much better. Why can't we swype a specific notification and it brings us directly to that app??? And no choice over banners etc...
    as far as i can tell, you can tap a notification and then it'll have you do your standard unlock thing - whether it's a pin or drawing a pattern or fingerprint, and then it'll unlock and go direct to that app. i haven't played with this much though as i don't really care..

2. Brutal home button lag. Had ZERO lag in KitKat.
    did you have activate s-voice via home button deactivated and it somehow got reactivated? i have none still, whether using touchwiz or smart launcher 2.

4. Can no longer call a contact within the Textra app.
    have you tried reinstalling? i have no issues with this (just tried it to make sure, and it works perfect as it did before in kitkat)

8. Can not pull down notifications from anywhere on the home screen now. You must put your finger at the very top of the screen and swype down, this is rather cumbersome with a 5.7" display. However you can swipe up from anywhere on the home screen to close notifications, this makes no sense at all.
    this is the only one that really strikes me as bad - it is unfortunate that this was removed. i actually didn't know that this existed before, i've always gone to the top of the device anyway to pull it down out of habit from previous iphones, moto x and htc one x way back when.

have you tried a factory reset? i did that yesterday and while i didn't have any big issues that i've been hearing about (bad battery life, bad performance, fingerprint scanner turning on and various others) it does seem to be even better. things are smoother, fewer wakelocks though i suspect those will crop back up from awfully designed apps that i don't want to go without like facebook. some apps seem to offer significantly better performance now, too. i'm personally really liking the update. you complain about the colors and such but i haven't actually noticed much of any difference in my own usage of the phone from how it was in kitkat - settings, dialer and contacts were all bright anyway on the note 4 kitkat builds. textra with black background and a dark home screen are plenty for me to darken it up a bit

different strokes for different folks, but i've been happy so far.
    03-31-2015 12:41 PM
    I'm getting a lot of reboots. Anyone else having this issue? It's like a soft reboot though because it'll turn on and off, clear my notifications, but my previous apps will still be open.
    03-31-2015 04:09 PM

8. Can not pull down notifications from anywhere on the home screen now. You must put your finger at the very top of the screen and swype down, this is rather cumbersome with a 5.7" display. However you can swipe up from anywhere on the home screen to close notifications, this makes no sense at all.
    Really not sure why so many had this happen with Nova. As soon as I tried to pull down the notifications it prompted me to give Nova aces and took me right to the option to allow it. I am running the beta right now so not sure if it will be addressed when that is released or if it has been released. I'm sure they will get it figured out.
    03-31-2015 05:06 PM
    I bit the bullet and did the update. It's only been 4 hours with it so far, but I've had zero issues with it. Other than being able to uninstall DynamicNotifications, for the life of me I can't uninstall it now. I cleared the cache, tried to force stop and uninstall but I can't do any of this.

But aside from that, well, I dig Lollipop... So far at least. I think the lock screen notifications are pretty seamless and fluid, I like the update to the notifications in general where you don't have an entire menu pull down, just what's available and current. I kind of dig the way it disappears when you adjust screen brightness as well. The settings pages seem more streamlined and less clunky, animation speeds seem quicker. No TouchWiz lag or home button lag, apps (everything from SnapChat to IG, Tumblr, chrome, FireFox, Wells Fargo, Textra, Blue mail, Wickr etc) all launch quicker and run smoother. Battery life seems to be about the same, maybe a touch better to be honest. But again I've been on it for about 4 hours. I'd assume if I were to have any major issues I'd of had them from the get go.

I was truly on the fence and honestly wondered if I was making a poor decision since even the jump from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4 on my S5 sucked, but I think Lollipop works well IMHO. I can't seem to notice any of the weird colors in the UI people keep complaining about either???

I think my Note 4 is truly better than ever at this point.
    FLRubi likes this.
    03-31-2015 06:02 PM
    Ok, well my documented gripe about the AT&T logo in the top left of the status bar is absolutely driving me crazy. And no, it WAS NOT there on KK, I don't care what anyone else here says about that. I did not have an AT&T logo there.

Now, since this is there, anytime I get a text, email, calendar reminder, etc. and the phone is locked, now I have to unlock it just to see what type of notification I received. In the past when the phone was locked and screen off, I just waved my hand over it and could see what type of notification I got since there was no AT&T logo there.

If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know. If not, this is absolutely unusuable garbage.

Help, Insight welcomed.
    03-31-2015 06:45 PM
    @oldirty....sorry but I don't seem to have what you're describing. Only time I see an AT&T logo is when I have an AT&T Live notification waiting to be viewed.
    03-31-2015 06:56 PM
    I mean seriously, is it mandatory to install a 3rd party lock screen with Lollipop just to see notification icons ?
    03-31-2015 06:59 PM
    The AT&T logo is there almost 100% of the time with the exception being when the phone is unlocked and do not disturb mode is on. That's it. It's there every other time. When phone is locked and screen is on, when phone is unlocked, etc.

It's really driving me nuts. My $150 Blu phone running 4.4.2 handles notifications far more better than this.

I'm off work for the next 3 days. If it takes me that long to figure something out, so be it.
    03-31-2015 07:25 PM
    Here's my lockscreen. If I get a notification, any notification, it won't show up unless I unlock the screen and my home screen is showing. Then in that case, the notification is shown to the right of the AT&T logo.
    Attached Thumbnails AT&T Lollipop update and what is NOT working to well now....-screenshot_2015-03-31-17-26-41.jpg  
    03-31-2015 07:28 PM
    To go with the above photo, the AT&T logo is the one that never existed on my phone pre-Lollipop.
    03-31-2015 07:29 PM
    Under sounds & notifications menu, there's a while locked option and if you check show all notifications, it will show it on the lock screen but that isn't exactly what I wanted. I just wanted an icon up top, not the actual text/email content on my lock screen.
    03-31-2015 07:41 PM
    I had the logo in mine but inky while the phone was locked, and it's the same deal on Lollipop. I assumed it was just a Samsung or AT&T thing? I just dealt with it since it's only a lockscreen issue on mine.

I'm having no issues whatsoever with having to keep a third party app to view notifications on my lockscreen as well. They appear just fine, and look/feel very fluid with no hiccups. Maybe it's just really hit or miss on this update I guess eh?
    03-31-2015 08:07 PM
    Here's my lockscreen. If I get a notification, any notification, it won't show up unless I unlock the screen and my home screen is showing. Then in that case, the notification is shown to the right of the AT&T logo.
    Now I see it. Guess I never really noticed it until now. Geez, thanks.
    03-31-2015 08:22 PM
    I had the logo in mine but inky while the phone was locked, and it's the same deal on Lollipop. I assumed it was just a Samsung or AT&T thing? I just dealt with it since it's only a lockscreen issue on mine.

I'm having no issues whatsoever with having to keep a third party app to view notifications on my lockscreen as well. They appear just fine, and look/feel very fluid with no hiccups. Maybe it's just really hit or miss on this update I guess eh?
    I like the lock screen notifications but having my ICE #'s & "reward if found" message is more important to me & you can't use both, it's either the lock screen message or the notifications. Using a third party app do you know if you can use both?

Which 3rd party lockscreen notifications app are you using?
    03-31-2015 08:23 PM
    I like the lock screen notifications but having my ICE #'s & "reward if found" message is more important to me & you can't use both, it's either the lock screen message or the notifications. Using a third party app do you know if you can use both?

I've been using DynamicNotifications while on KK, it was never all that great IMO but it gave me the ability to at least see what the incoming notification was. I don't know if it would work with the "reward if found" message you have on yours.
    03-31-2015 09:12 PM
    bump
    03-31-2015 10:46 PM

I use a lock screen wallpaper picture that I have added the ICE etc words to so that it is below the area that the notifications are in. Problem solved.
    mty msi likes this.
    04-01-2015 07:54 AM
    I use a lock screen wallpaper picture that I have added the ICE etc words to so that it is below the area that the notifications are in. Problem solved.
    That's a good idea, thanks for the suggestion!!
    04-01-2015 10:25 AM
    I use to have soundcloud and spotify controls on the lockscreen such as back, next, play, pause... now its all gone!!! only one that shows up is for the native music player, anyone else experiencing this terrible effect? this SUCK!!!!
    04-01-2015 08:52 PM
    Under sounds & notifications menu, there's a while locked option and if you check show all notifications, it will show it on the lock screen but that isn't exactly what I wanted. I just wanted an icon up top, not the actual text/email content on my lock screen.
    That's what I posted about on another Lollipop thread. Now the only way you know you have a missed call/text/email/calendar event from the lockscreen is if you have the LED enabled or if you hear the notification sound if enabled. On Kit Kat you had the same notifications in the upper task bar area on the lockscreen you do when you unlock the phone.

What were the Lollipop developers thinking about to remove the notification icons from the top of the lockscreen?? There is just no excuse to do that, it's an important feature that was senselessly removed.
    04-01-2015 10:29 PM
    Battery life is certainly worse with Lolipop. I refuse to do a reset as well, took me 5 months to get to where I like my phone where its at now with 128 gb storage and over half full. What difference would resetting it make anyway.
    my battery life is terrible lately since ive updated to lollipop and I too dont want to factory reset, Im getting really tired of my note 4 after lollipop
    04-02-2015 08:56 AM
    my battery life is terrible lately since ive updated to lollipop and I too dont want to factory reset, Im getting really tired of my note 4 after lollipop
    Try wiping the cache partition. I updated my Note4 to Lollipop today and have had no battery issues.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.
    04-02-2015 12:54 PM
    I can tell you after doing a factory reset my phone is fast and the battery life is better than KK. It is a pain but its really not that big of a deal to do.
    04-02-2015 02:01 PM
    I may be in the vast minority but I do not want any led notifications and since lollipop I cannot figure out how to turn off the led for Gmail. I don't see one in the app itself and have the main one unchecked.
    Does anyone have a solution or am I stuck with a blue light flashing every time I get a new Gmail until I wake the phone and check the Gmail?
    Thanks.
    04-06-2015 07:59 AM
    Anyone having issues with messages? For example when I reply to a text or group message my replies go above the last senders message instead of on the bottom as the most recent sent message from my self. ..
    04-15-2015 11:21 AM
96 1234