AT&T Lollipop update and what is NOT working to well now....

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
while I know a factory reset is a pain in the *** it sure seems backing up and doing it would be easier and cheaper than setting up a new phone.

Pride sure causes people to do funny things.

ejohnnyk

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Factory resets following an update are unfortunate but necessary with Android. And that sucks. Not saying it's right. Just saying it's necessary.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
while I know a factory reset is a pain in the *** it sure seems backing up and doing it would be easier and cheaper than setting up a new phone.

Pride sure causes people to do funny things.

Agreed. I fail to see what most users have against a factory reset. It is 100% less painful than reformatting a windows pc. I just reinstall the apps i know I will really need/use in the next day or two. (their data i would have backed up on helium) the rest as and when required. But then my Android devices are for work and not show peices.

Drayk

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Factory resets following an update are unfortunate but necessary with Android. And that sucks. Not saying it's right. Just saying it's necessary.

I must be the exception to the rule here. I downloaded, installed and physically pulled the battery when everything was back up & running and my GN4 is running great.... smooth as silk.
I like lollipop & don't really see a big difference other than the material design look..... which I like.
I had an issue with txt showing up out of sequence but I fixed that by clicking "network provided time" & "network provided time zone". Now all is right with the world!

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
What's worse, resetting your phone once (as is recommended) and have a working phone or having a phone that sucks and ******** about it? You should have factory reset before you spent (I don't know why it's taking you) weeks to tweak it to how you like it.

Ps: you can pretty much back up everything to SD or the cloud.

Posted via the Android Central App

shaleem

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I must be the exception to the rule here. I downloaded, installed and physically pulled the battery when everything was back up & running and my GN4 is running great.... smooth as silk.
I like lollipop & don't really see a big difference other than the material design look..... which I like.
I had an issue with txt showing up out of sequence but I fixed that by clicking "network provided time" & "network provided time zone". Now all is right with the world!

Ditto. Except that I had no text sequence issues. I did do a cache partition clear and reboot because a few people said that was a good idea to facilitate a smooth running device.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4

logik brooklyn

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
And I got crap for my thread calling this phone junk lol...

Can't wait to get back to apple...this a complete joke to anyone who doesn't live in their parents basement and actually has a successful, busy life

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

Can't wait to get back to apple...this a complete joke to anyone who doesn't live in their parents basement and actually has a successful, busy life

I agree with you completely.

This BS has definitely got me considering an iPhone. I think the biggest problem is AT&T forcing the update on us. I was planning on following the threads about Lollipop to make a decision if I wanted it or not and after just a few days of reading them I never would have updated.

I use my phone primarily for business & the last thing I need is to spend time I don't have to spend trying to make this phone work correctly like it did on Kit Kat.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
My wife, against my recommendation, let her Note 3 update to LolliFlop today:

2. Brutal home button lag. Had ZERO lag in KitKat.
Haven't noticed any in TW (ugh). I'm with you on Nova, but I;m not installing "The Bug" to find out.

4. Can no longer call a contact within the Textra app.
The native texting app still works fine (or I'd be talking to my wife's divorce attorney by now).

5. Google keyboard now has some very weird colored underscore lines on certain words, VERY distracting and unable to change in settings.
Haven't noticed that.

6. Hate the pink/yellow/turquoise color theme....I don't live in Southbeach!
Especially on an Amoled screen - talk about battery sucker.

7. Not sure why in contacts the contacts have different colored circles to the left of their names? Why can't we disable the pics in contacts?
There are some VERY strange people working at Google.

8. Can not pull down notifications from anywhere on the home screen now. You must put your finger at the very top of the screen and swype down, this is rather cumbersome with a 5.7" display. However you can swipe up from anywhere on the home screen to close notifications, this makes no sense at all.
Never noticed that you could - you can on 4.4.2! (Learn something new every day here.) Probably another strange person at Google decided that one.

I wonder when they'll let engineering go back to engineering Android. Marketing seems to have blown it again. (Or is it "mess it up and they'll get used to it"?)

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

This BS has definitely got me considering an iPhone. I think the biggest problem is AT&T forcing the update on us. I was planning on following the threads about Lollipop to make a decision if I wanted it or not and after just a few days of reading them I never would have updated.

I use my phone primarily for business & the last thing I need is to spend time I don't have to spend trying to make this phone work correctly like it did on Kit Kat.

While I'm not having any problems with lollipop (It has actually improved things) That's why I use my iPhone as my business phone while my android phones are for personal use .

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I love how some people say that Apple is the better choice. I went with a Mac this time, because I was tired of viruses on Windows. I like the Mac, way overpriced in my opinion, as is everything Apple. Apple doesn't have Zero problems, contrary what everybody likes to think. They have forums too you know. I personally hate the update to Yosemite, although some nice features, but they didn't work correctly and I when I called The Apple tech support, nobody even new some of the new features I was using because it was helpful to me. I was using suggestions in Calendar, and I had numerous tech support guys that didn't even know the feature I was using. I still have problems with it giving incorrect info on the suggestions and got tired of talking with Apple support about it, I just deal with it.

All electronics no matter what manufacturer are going to have problems. Some people have no problems, but no company is void of any, Including Apple. So go to Apple, it just works, right? I find their stuff expensive and boring. So not for everyone. At least on Android, I can find apps that are different and on the Apple's App store, it's very limited on certain things I look for anyway. I didn't want the update, but had to take it, and I have a few problems, with S Note. Nothing I'd even consider leaving Android for, especially for Apple. JMO, as is yours.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
My wife, against my recommendation, let her Note 3 update to LolliFlop today:

Haven't noticed any in TW (ugh). I'm with you on Nova, but I;m not installing "The Bug" to find out.

The native texting app still works fine (or I'd be talking to my wife's divorce attorney by now

@rukbat

Sounds like you enjoying Lollipop! :D:cool: albeit using your wife's Note 3............

(Complete text of original post not quoted)

logik brooklyn

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
I love how some people say that Apple is the better choice. I went with a Mac this time, because I was tired of viruses on Windows. I like the Mac, way overpriced in my opinion, as is everything Apple. Apple doesn't have Zero problems, contrary what everybody likes to think. They have forums too you know. I personally hate the update to Yosemite, although some nice features, but they didn't work correctly and I when I called The Apple tech support, nobody even new some of the new features I was using because it was helpful to me. I was using suggestions in Calendar, and I had numerous tech support guys that didn't even know the feature I was using. I still have problems with it giving incorrect info on the suggestions and got tired of talking with Apple support about it, I just deal with it.

All electronics no matter what manufacturer are going to have problems. Some people have no problems, but no company is void of any, Including Apple. So go to Apple, it just works, right? I find their stuff expensive and boring. So not for everyone. At least on Android, I can find apps that are different and on the Apple's App store, it's very limited on certain things I look for anyway. I didn't want the update, but had to take it, and I have a few problems, with S Note. Nothing I'd even consider leaving Android for, especially for Apple. JMO, as is yours.

I'm not going by what these forums say, I'm going by having an iphone since the first gen, and making my first switch back in November...which felt as hard as a divorce.

Funny you mention apps too...if apps is what sways you, apples app store blows playstore out of the water. That's a fact, not an opinion.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
True, they may have more apps, funny the ones I was looking for not really. Maybe the IOS apps for the Ipad and Iphone, not the Mac. So it's my opinion yes, just because yours differs, doesn't make it a fact. It's a fact they have more apps, yes, when I look for stuff half of them aren't even rated yet and if they are they don't get very good ones. So doesn't work for me if I have to pay a lot of money for the few that are good. I like more variety, that's why I'm on Android for my phone. I like to set it up how I like. You can jail break and Ipad or Iphone, sure. My main point is, they have problems also. So when people complain about Android devices and say they should go back to Iphone, there are plenty of people who have problems with Iphones Also. That's a fact. No system is perfect. To each his own.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

Yeah because Ijunk's updates always go smooth right? Like the latest one that turned a bunch of phones into bigger pieces of garbage than they already were. Much better.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Re: AT&T Lollipop update and what is NOT working to well now....

Anybody that's having trouble tried rebooting your phone a few times? No fdr, no fancy cache wipe, just power off, leave off 2 minutes, power on? It works just fine for me.
Android add a ringtone to a contact; tap contact, tap edit, scroll to ringtone area, tap, choose ringtone. IPhone method; plug phone into computer, make ringtone, reformat ringtone,delete original ringtone, drag, drop, sync........ then add to contact in multi step process. Yeah that's SO much easier than Android. I know you can do the Verizon Get It Now method of BUYING a ringtone from iTunes but no thanks.I'll stick with clunky Android and just reboot my phone a few times after an update. But thanks for the reminder of how ios is superior to Android

anon67808

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Funny you mention apps too...if apps is what sways you, apples app store blows playstore out of the water. That's a fact, not an opinion.

No, a fact would be Apple's App Store blows Windows Phone's App Store out of the water. An opinion would be Apple's App Store blows Google Play Store out of the water.

Question, and I'm not trying to start an internet war here, but if you've been with the iPhone since Gen 1, why switch to Android at a time when Apple comes out with their best and biggest iPhone to date?

anon67808

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Mountainbikermark, totally irrelevant to this thread but I think you need a new avatar. If you want to use mine, let me know. I can send it to you.

logik brooklyn

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Well after being annoyed about what I read, I still moved some stuff over to my SD card and allowed room for this update.

It's on and.... I actually like it. I don't have any of the issues other people were having.

Google play was instantly giving me all kinds of errors, which I disabled like I had done prior anyway...and so far this thing is butter smooth. Better than its ever been actually. I may disable nova temporarily to see if I notice other differences currently being masked.

I did read somewhere about a flashlight widget on lock screen. How do I get that to work it's not even an option for me?

Question, and I'm not trying to start an internet war here, but if you've been with the iPhone since Gen 1, why switch to Android at a time when Apple comes out with their best and biggest iPhone to date?

I wanted true multi window...which turns out I almost never use anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20