04-30-2015 03:44 AM
96 123 ...
tools
    Hi all,
    So I updated today. My Note 4 is running Nova Prime, no rogue weird apps, device not hacked in any way. Uninterrupted update went without a hitch but here is whats not working to well or what I do not like now:

1. Terrible control over lock screen notifications, Apple does it SO much better. Why can't we swype a specific notification and it brings us directly to that app??? And no choice over banners etc...

2. Brutal home button lag. Had ZERO lag in KitKat.

3. Can no longer change color of dock background in Nova Prime. Emailed Kevin at Teslacoil, his customer service SUCKS.

4. Can no longer call a contact within the Textra app.

5. Google keyboard now has some very weird colored underscore lines on certain words, VERY distracting and unable to change in settings.

6. Hate the pink/yellow/turquoise color theme....I don't live in Southbeach!

7. Not sure why in contacts the contacts have different colored circles to the left of their names? Why can't we disable the pics in contacts?

8. Can not pull down notifications from anywhere on the home screen now. You must put your finger at the very top of the screen and swype down, this is rather cumbersome with a 5.7" display. However you can swipe up from anywhere on the home screen to close notifications, this makes no sense at all.
    03-27-2015 06:56 PM
    Did you do a factory reset?
    03-27-2015 07:00 PM
    Hell no. No way in this world I am factory resetting this phone and starting from ground zero. It took me days into weeks to tweak my phone exactly the way I want. I had few if any issues with 4.4.4
    ejohnnyk and robcassman like this.
    03-27-2015 07:03 PM
    This is one reason I'm still on 4.4.2. There's nothing in 5.1 that will do anything for my phone except ruin the battery life (Amoled screens use a LOT more power displaying white, and no power at all displaying pure black), and I don't have any bugs. (4.4.4 fixed the SSL/Heartbleed bug, but there's nothing on my phone that the world can't see, and 5.0-5.0.2 had a memory leak, which isn't something you want when you have a 32 bit device.)
    03-27-2015 07:08 PM
    Hell no. No way in this world I am factory resetting this phone and starting from ground zero. It took me days into weeks to tweak my phone exactly the way I want. I had few if any issues with 4.4.4
    My sentiments exactly, not no but hell no. Sad part about it is it looks like I'm going to be forced into it. I'm paying AT&T and they've forced something on me I didn't want which will cause me to spend at least a couple of hours on without even knowing if that will resolve my issues.
    Andy847 likes this.
    03-27-2015 07:39 PM
    I would bet a reset would help. I had many issues when KitKat came out and after I reset it worked very well. Its like reloading Windows on your computer. It has to work better and bust out bugs.
    03-27-2015 07:45 PM
    I would bet a reset would help. I had many issues when KitKat came out and after I reset it worked very well. Its like reloading Windows on your computer. It has to work better and bust out bugs.
    I don't doubt at all that a factory reset would make Lollipop work better. My point is I'm not doing a Windows re-install unless I'm having numerous issues because of the time it takes to do it, I had no issues with Kit Kat but now I'm forced to spend at least a couple of hours doing a factory reset because of Lollipop. It should have been my choice to upgrade to Lollipop, not have AT&T force it on me making me spend a couple of hours resetting up my phone.
    03-27-2015 07:58 PM
    Unfortunately factory resetting an Android device is nowhere near as polished or as easy as factory resetting an iPhone thats backed up to iCloud. I'd sell this thing tonight before I factory reset it
    ladyfinesse08 likes this.
    03-27-2015 08:01 PM
    Unfortunately factory resetting an Android device is nowhere near as polished or as easy as factory resetting an iPhone thats backed up to iCloud. I'd sell this thing tonight before I factory reset it
    The only thing about iOS that I like and is the best in the biz.
    03-27-2015 08:50 PM
    If the Apple i6+ came with a stylus I'd have to say at this point I'd give it strong consideration.

I don't read Apple forums so I don't know if they're having the glass screen protector halo issue we have but I doubt it because full glass screen protectors are available. In fact on xda forums a member just posted a picture of his i6+ w/ a Bodyguardz full screen glass protector & no halo. Because of the volume iPhones are sold in they will always have the best selection of cases & screen protectors.

What I don't like is the sealed battery & lack of external SD card but I might overlook that if Apple offers a stylus. Especially considering the S6 is sealed battery & no external SD card, hopefully that's not what Samsung has in mind for the N5.

My last 3 phones were Samsung & I only had the original iPhone for a very short time before returning it but this time consuming nonsense with Lollipop & the glass screen protector w/o halo is really wearing thin with me.
    03-27-2015 09:25 PM
    The only thing about iOS that I like and is the best in the biz.
    One of the major reasons I must have root on my android devices. Makes updates less stressful since there's always options whether it's reverting back to prior versions or complete wipes with selective application + data restoration. If I were to completely wipe my Note 4 right now I can be back up and running in about an hour with all of my customizations and app data intact.

Unfortunately sometimes one needs to do a factory reset after a major update. It's a PITA to restore everything for sure and other than Helium I'm not sure what else can be done with a non-rooted android device.

Update: Link to a backup "guide" here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...oid-phone.html
    03-27-2015 09:31 PM
    Another reason I was hoping for rooted KK over stock Lollipop.
    03-27-2015 10:06 PM
    Battery life is certainly worse with Lolipop. I refuse to do a reset as well, took me 5 months to get to where I like my phone where its at now with 128 gb storage and over half full. What difference would resetting it make anyway.
    03-27-2015 10:55 PM
    Battery life is certainly worse with Lolipop.
    Mine isn't just worse it's so much worse my phone has to be charged during the day now. It never had to be on Kit Kat.

As far as I'm concerned Lollipop is a complete fail. It's very interesting to me that others have better battery life and faster performance, I have the exact opposite.
    03-27-2015 10:59 PM
    4. Can no longer call a contact within the Textra app.
    I am able to call directly from the Textra app on my AT&T N4 with Lollipop. Just touch the icon with the contact initial in it and it dials it right up.
    03-28-2015 12:02 AM
    I am able to call directly from the Textra app on my AT&T N4 with Lollipop. Just touch the icon with the contact initial in it and it dials it right up.
    Me too.
    03-28-2015 08:13 AM
    I can no longer call contact from within Textra. I deleted Textra and set it up again, still won't work
    03-28-2015 10:48 AM
    That's odd. There's a couple of ways to do it in Textra. The first is to swipe a contact to the left while looking at a list of conversations in the main Textra screen. A phone icon should appear to the right of the contact's entry (of course you can't call multiple people at once so it will not work for an MMS convo entry). The second is while in a specific conversation tapping the circular icon at the very top right corner. The contact's info will drop down from the top and a phone icon will appear that you can tap to dial out.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    03-28-2015 11:26 AM
    Hi Muzzy,
    I know exactly how it should work calling a contact inside of Textra.....It is no longer working. Cannot figure it out short of a factory reset and that is not happening. I'm shopping around now and very strongly considering the dark side.....
    03-28-2015 03:08 PM
    Hi Muzzy,
    I know exactly how it should work calling a contact inside of Textra.....It is no longer working. Cannot figure it out short of a factory reset and that is not happening. I'm shopping around now and very strongly considering the dark side.....
    Wouldn't it be simpler to do a backup and then factory reset than to switch phones completely, especially if considering an iPhone?
    rong21 and tsells like this.
    03-28-2015 07:25 PM
    while I know a factory reset is a pain in the *** it sure seems backing up and doing it would be easier and cheaper than setting up a new phone.

Pride sure causes people to do funny things.
    tsells, Trigati, muzzy996 and 1 others like this.
    03-28-2015 08:41 PM
    Factory resets following an update are unfortunate but necessary with Android. And that sucks. Not saying it's right. Just saying it's necessary.
    Mom2Ninjas likes this.
    03-28-2015 10:13 PM
    while I know a factory reset is a pain in the *** it sure seems backing up and doing it would be easier and cheaper than setting up a new phone.

Pride sure causes people to do funny things.
    Agreed. I fail to see what most users have against a factory reset. It is 100% less painful than reformatting a windows pc. I just reinstall the apps i know I will really need/use in the next day or two. (their data i would have backed up on helium) the rest as and when required. But then my Android devices are for work and not show peices.
    DLK1 likes this.
    03-28-2015 11:07 PM
    Factory resets following an update are unfortunate but necessary with Android. And that sucks. Not saying it's right. Just saying it's necessary.
    I must be the exception to the rule here. I downloaded, installed and physically pulled the battery when everything was back up & running and my GN4 is running great.... smooth as silk.
    I like lollipop & don't really see a big difference other than the material design look..... which I like.
    I had an issue with txt showing up out of sequence but I fixed that by clicking "network provided time" & "network provided time zone". Now all is right with the world!
    rong21 likes this.
    03-29-2015 09:50 AM
    What's worse, resetting your phone once (as is recommended) and have a working phone or having a phone that sucks and ******** about it? You should have factory reset before you spent (I don't know why it's taking you) weeks to tweak it to how you like it.

Ps: you can pretty much back up everything to SD or the cloud.

Posted via the Android Central App
    DLK1 likes this.
    03-29-2015 10:35 AM
96 123 ...