So why so much excitement about Lollipop? It is TERRIBLE!!

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
With every large update, there are problems such as battery drainage, rouge apps, etc. I have never seen an occasion after an update that a factory reset didn't solve the problems. Yes, perhaps a big update has fried a phone or two, but I have never seen it. Do a factory update after the update if your phone is acting up. My stubborn brother spent a dang week complaining about Lollipop until he finally gave in and did the factory reset. Now he loves Lollipop.

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
With every large update, there are problems such as battery drainage, rouge apps, etc. I have never seen an occasion after an update that a factory reset didn't solve the problems. Yes, perhaps a big update has fried a phone or two, but I have never seen it. Do a factory update after the update if your phone is acting up. My stubborn brother spent a dang week complaining about Lollipop until he finally gave in and did the factory reset. Now he loves Lollipop.

I did a factory reset and wiped cache partition before and after the update for this very reason, but my phone is nearly always awake and I have not even downloaded or updated any apps. I'm at a loss here, don't know what it is, but it was not like that on KK. I would love to like Lollipop as it definitely appears faster and smoother, but at the moment it's just killing my phone.

Last edited:

ericmazariegos

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Is it really that bad? I recently upgraded from a Galaxy S5. And the lollipop update on that phone was indeed terrible, it launched a lot of user complaints on Verizon. I am on tmobile but I do remember that the battery life SUCKED after the lollipop update on the S5.I think that's because the update was for 5.0. Seeing as the update for the note 4 is going to be 5.0.1 instead (right?) I don't think we'll be having these issues? Although, I do agree that having to do a hard factory reset shouldn't be the solution. I personally have hundreds of apps installed on phone and to reset and have to reinstall each of them and customize them again would take hours, if not a day. Sometimes it's not doable.

Posted via the Android Central App

M3Stang

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Only thing bothering me is the offset weather.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-28-01-24-36.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-03-28-01-24-36.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 178

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Loving the update, my phone is so much better now, the finger print reader actually works now! But I also don't need to swipe as much, because now my Moto 360 is a trusted device, so no need to swipe while that's connected.

Sahupala

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Not sure what the fuss is about.. After the update, my Note 4 is smoother then ever ... Battery life is the same, if not even better ...

anon9173723

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Yea ofcourse, download the 4.4.4 firmware for your model number from Sammobile and flash it with odin. Simple instructions on Sammobile download page. No root required, does not trip Knox counter.

Hi Russ,
Only firmware for a Note 4 SM-N 910C is available. I have the AT&T version 910A. Its a no go for switching back to KitKat for me., thank you anyway.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I did a factory reset and wiped cache partition before and after the update for this very reason, but my phone is nearly always awake and I have not even downloaded or updated any apps. I'm at a loss here, don't know what it is, but it was not like that on KK. I would love to like Lollipop as it definitely appears faster and smoother, but at the moment it's just killing my phone.

Maybe you could call Samsung. Someone there might be able to tell you why the phone is staying awake. I could see where that would be an issue.

shaleem

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I've had no issues with lollipop. I actually didn't want the update, but AT&T automatically updated my Note 4. But, as I said, I've had no problems at all.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Did you manage to go back to KK successfully because I'm seriously thinking about doing it? Something is keeping my phone awake most of the time on Lollipop and I never had that problem on 4.4.4. I agree with other people that Lollipop is not as sweet as it was supposed to be.

Yea I have, twice actually due to a mistake I made flashing a mod, but I'm back on lollipop now as it's more fluid and prettier.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
but the phone updated without my consent

Not sure how you managed that. The phone will notify you that an update is waiting to be downloaded. You have to consent to the download, and then you have to consent to having it install. With Android there is no way your phone will just download and install stuff with no interaction from you whatsoever, especially core/OS level updates.

The only exception would be the Play Store - if you have it set to automatically download and update apps over mobile data.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
This problem seems to be Samsung-specific from what I've been seeing.

I run Lollipop on 3 devices; A Samsung Galaxy S3 (CM12), a HTC One M7 (InsertCoin Sense 7.0) and an LG G3 (stock). Both the HTC and LG ran Lollipop happily and in most cases, actually performed better than KitKat. Only the S3 experienced a fair bit of hiccups but were relatively minor compared to the TouchWiz Android 4.3 ROM it ran before.

I especially love Smart Lock. I use a Xiaomi Mi Band as my fitness tracker and having it as a trusted device just shaved off a few seconds by bypassing the PIN code unlock screen. Definitely a huge plus for convenience.

MaxPower203

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
My only gripe is that Lollipop looks bad. Like many before me, I'm not a fan of the white screens. I much prefer black. The notification cards? Not attractive. And the multitasking tabs? Not for me. I preferred the smaller banners. But hey! To each their own. And I'll get used to the changes. Begrudgingly. XD

anon67808

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how you managed that. The phone will notify you that an update is waiting to be downloaded. You have to consent to the download, and then you have to consent to having it install. With Android there is no way your phone will just download and install stuff with no interaction from you whatsoever, especially core/OS level updates.

The only exception would be the Play Store - if you have it set to automatically download and update apps over mobile data.

How much do you want to bet.