I just picked up a used Verizon Note 4 off of Swappa and immediately when I got it, it said it had an update waiting that would take 8 minutes. Every time it starts updating goes to the android boot screen then shows error. It will restart the phone and then show up saying there was an error and the phone wasn't updated
    I'm not even sure what update it is since I am already on android 4.4.4 KitKat since lollipop hasn't been released. Anyone else having this problem?

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-30-2015 12:41 PM
    Is the phone rooted?
    03-30-2015 12:51 PM
    Typically what that failure indicates is that the phone has been modified (root, etc). OTAs are not very forgiving... they'll fail for silly reasons, even as minor as someone removing some bit of bloatware that had no real impact on the phone's function.

From the sounds of things, there might be a minor update that the phone is trying to load and can't due to some change in the phone that triggers the OTA to fail. Are you aware of any mods done to the phone by the previous owner?
    03-30-2015 12:52 PM
    I'm checking with the original owner now. On swappa it gives you a section to say if it was rooted or not and the seller said it wasn't so I'm asking directly now. I did a root check and it said it wasnt so I'll get back to you guys when the seller responds

03-30-2015 01:21 PM
    The seller indicated the phone has not been rooted, but they talked about using a service called Samsung kies? Im unsure of what that is or if that would have any affect

03-30-2015 02:05 PM
    Kies... if you own a Samsung mobile device, you really should read up on Kies. It may very well be the only way you'll get that phone updated.

Kies
    03-30-2015 04:46 PM
    Yeah I haven't used a Samsung phone since the Galaxy S3.

03-30-2015 05:09 PM
    Kies won't stop the phone from accepting an update, but if the phone had been rooted before the seller got it, and it had been unrooted before he got it, he'd have no way of knowing that it had once been rooted. The update would, and it would refuse to run.

Your best bets now are either to 1) return the phone for a refund, 2) bring it into Verizon and see if they can flash the update or 3) flash a stock ROM ([Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN), then let it update one update per day until it catches up. (IOW, if you flash 4.4.2, it's going to update to 4.4.4, then probably the 4.4.4 pre-Lollipop update 24 hours later).

For either 2 or 3, make sure you back up everything of importance first (Backing up an Android Phone).
    03-30-2015 05:29 PM