With my note 4 on Verizon...Have tried a few 3rd party SMS apps like CHOMP and now on Handcet..just not satisfied with their performance.

I don't like the stock hence I am using these...I was using CHOMP for a LONG LONG time but lately it got so frustrating that everytime i had an incoming text, my phone would freeze for a few seconds!! I uninstalled it, cleared cache, did the whole 9 yards...even contacted customer support and sent them the performance log...nothing helped!

Then I switched over to Handcet...and i still notice my phone freezes for a milli second on incoming texts..

I have tried Verizon messanger, but don't really like it...and I am afraid it will do the same thing!

Any ideas folks why my phone is behaving like this?
    03-30-2015 09:26 PM
    Then I switched over to Handcet...and i still notice my phone freezes for a milli second on incoming texts..
    You're complaining about 1/1,000 of a second? This is a phone, not a supercomputer.

Any ideas folks why my phone is behaving like this?
    Where is the hang? From when you tap the icon until the app shows on the screen? That's normal with the fastest phones. From when you tap a message to when you get the whole message on the screen? Also normal.

If it freezes for 10 seconds on a fairly recent phone, that's a problem. If it totally freezes the entire phone for a millisecond, you're looking for more performance than you'll get from a powerful desktop. (You can't see anything that fast - it has to last about 60 milliseconds before your eye can register that it happened.)
    03-30-2015 11:21 PM
    You're complaining about 1/1,000 of a second? This is a phone, not a supercomputer.

Where is the hang? From when you tap the icon until the app shows on the screen? That's normal with the fastest phones. From when you tap a message to when you get the whole message on the screen? Also normal.

If it freezes for 10 seconds on a fairly recent phone, that's a problem. If it totally freezes the entire phone for a millisecond, you're looking for more performance than you'll get from a powerful desktop. (You can't see anything that fast - it has to last about 60 milliseconds before your eye can register that it happened.)
    I know it's not a super PC...but still, it's noticable. I am sure if I use the stock msg app, it won't do that.
    With CHOMP, oh the app used to crash like 10 times a day...I would get the foreclose app messages every 5 times I tried exiting out of CHOMP. it really got on my nerves to the point where I had to make the switch to Handcet.
    Baiscally the hang is only when I have incoming messages...otherwise app opens up just fine, and no other issues honestly.

At first I had a background image with chomp in my conversation screen, so i tried a the default theme with no background image..and with chomp it would still freeze my phone on incoming messages..and not to mention the crashes I had with that app...just as i mentioned above!
    03-31-2015 12:11 AM
    As i said, chomp was just really bad with my phone. I don't know why...contacted the developer, said they are too busy right now.

Other ppl on this forum who used CHOMP didn't have any issue. so it's just perhaps my phone only. But no idea wht in my phone would cause CHOMP to behave like tht...I even tried going back to an old version..like 2 yrs older version...still the same issue!
    03-31-2015 12:13 AM
    As i said, chomp was just really bad with my phone. I don't know why...contacted the developer, said they are too busy right now.

Other ppl on this forum who used CHOMP didn't have any issue. so it's just perhaps my phone only. But no idea wht in my phone would cause CHOMP to behave like tht...I even tried going back to an old version..like 2 yrs older version...still the same issue!
    In developer options change ART back to dalvik runtime. It may fix the app issue.
    03-31-2015 12:33 AM
    In developer options change ART back to dalvik runtime. It may fix the app issue.
    Thanks for your response.

How do you think taking this step will help with the app?
    03-31-2015 03:52 PM
    Have you tried Textra? I haven't had any problems with textra. Handcent does somewhat lag on my phone though

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-31-2015 03:59 PM
    I also use Textra with absolutely no problems

03-31-2015 04:41 PM
    Have you tried Textra? I haven't had any problems with textra. Handcent does somewhat lag on my phone though

Yup...went straight to textra after CHOMP and still had lags when messages came in..although the app didn't crash at all like CHOMP did, but it gave me a lag...significant enough to notice.

I think I will have to start using stock now since nothing else is working out for me.
    03-31-2015 09:00 PM
    Thanks for your response.

How do you think taking this step will help with the app?
    The app may not yet have been optimised by the development crew to use ART. See this

Changing runtime system to ART: the fix for the recent apps lag? : galaxynote4
    03-31-2015 10:50 PM
    The app may not yet have been optimised by the development crew to use ART. See this

Changing runtime system to ART: the fix for the recent apps lag? : galaxynote4
    lol this site is telling me to switch to ART from Dalvik...but earlier u were recommending it to change from ART to Dalvik...when i checked it out in my phone, I saw it was already on Dalvik..

But i will try this option definitely!
    03-31-2015 11:07 PM
    May not be related but I've been using google messenger.. Only problems I've had are with group texts coming in slow.

04-01-2015 07:05 AM
    May not be related but I've been using google messenger.. Only problems I've had are with group texts coming in slow.

I have known ppl talking about google messenge, but if google messenger doesn't work well with group messaging, tht's a deal breaker for me!
    04-01-2015 08:37 PM
    I have known ppl talking about google messenge, but if google messenger doesn't work well with group messaging, tht's a deal breaker for me!
    the weird thing is that, and this is what made me notice, my girlfriend's S5 on the same shared plan is using Google Messenger and getting all the group texts. I wouldnt see a new text until she had received 2 or 3 of the replies. I did a factory reset and but I haven't been in a group text with her yet to see if it's better. (yes a factory reset, and I didn't even get lollipop yet. It's not that big of a deal)
    04-02-2015 08:59 AM
    ugh..sounds like a pain..Ppl talk about factory resets here on this forum like it's no big deal, but honestly, it's such a big deal to me..I mean you loose all your app and app data and to me that is so much important..other things like contacts, pics etc i know i can back up, but there's NOT a app out there tht will back up app data and tht's such a big issue with android!

So I stay away from factory resets as much as i can...in this case, i would just use another texting app!

I tried the option of reverting from Dalvik to ART as some 1 suggested earlier, so far tht has been working ok with me! so i am using CHOMP sms once again...let's see how it fairs out!
    04-02-2015 11:13 AM