04-10-2015 02:19 AM
74 123
tools
    Hey, if the iPhone is your phone of choice, then so be it... but I definitely agree with most everyone else here. A factory reset is a very small price to pay to see if it fixes your issues. Do you know what Apple tells you when you have issues that they can't fix or can't seem to be able to solve??? Do a factory reset and start clean! Again, I am not bashing you by any means, but I really think you should've tried a factory reset first!
    03-31-2015 03:56 PM
    I agree with folks thoughts on these threads in genreal, but the subject is a thanks for the help the OP received. There is no reason he cannot say good bye and explain why he left.
    Oh. I was thrown off by the zero sentences saying thanks, and instead only caught the 18 sentences about how he knew the solution to any problem he was having, but really just wanted an iPhone and saw this as an opportunity to blame Google for making him not do the simple, free solution and instead waste 1k.
    Ntchwaidumela and ehstaley like this.
    03-31-2015 03:58 PM
    I agree with folks thoughts on these threads in genreal, but the subject is a thanks for the help the OP received. There is no reason he cannot say good bye and explain why he left.
    I totally hear ya, it's just hard to sit back and not say anything when someone puts out there that it is easier to spend $1,000 on another phone rather than do a factory reset. My brother whined like a baby after getting Lollipop on his S5. After a week of prodding, he finally gave into my advice and did the dreaded factory reset.

He loves Lollipop now.
    03-31-2015 03:58 PM
    Hey, if the iPhone is your phone of choice, then so be it... but I definitely agree with most everyone else here. A factory reset is a very small price to pay to see if it fixes your issues. Do you know what Apple tells you when you have issues that they can't fix or can't seem to be able to solve??? Do a factory reset and start clean! Again, I am not bashing you by any means, but I really think you should've tried a factory reset first!
    He probably didn't want to have to set up his phone from scratch after doing the Factory Reset. That's what people in this situation usually say. So they buy a new phone, and have to set it up from scratch just like they would have done if they did the FDR. The ONLY reason I give OP's crap in these threads, is because it's so obvious they just wanted the iPhone or some other phone (which is perfectly fine) but for some reason they can't just outright own that decision without formulating very poor, nonsense reasons that mean nothing to anyone but themselves.
    skatergirl and ehstaley like this.
    03-31-2015 04:01 PM
    To the OP: Since you didn't try all the possible fixes, did you ever think to consult with the carrier's customer service department? I certainly would have explored all avenues, especially if I was satisfied with the phone,itself, rather than spend another $1000 for another device. My take on this is that you were seeking an excuse to go back to Apple. Hey! Your money. Your decision. But blaming Google for your choice is senseless.

Posted via Android Central App
    03-31-2015 04:46 PM
    Not really. For computers I use Mac. Tablet is Ipad. I won't use anything else because they work flawlessley.
    So you are telling me there are no other computers/tablets out there that work flawlessly? WOW...
    03-31-2015 04:59 PM
    Maybe the OP will find out the limitations with iOS and regret that decision and maybe not. There are choices for a reason.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    03-31-2015 05:26 PM
    The OP just wanted to thank everyone! the proper response is to say, "You are welcome", and wish that person the best, as some did...

It doesn't matter that most of us on this forum would have done something differently, experimented more, tried different solutions, etc., but I believe the OP's experience does teach us all something...

Android is not for everybody! There can definitely be a certain aggravation factor associated with getting these phones to run just exactly like you want them.

I've had mine for two weeks, and I'm still screwing around with it! but, the difference is I enjoy the process.

Many people absolutely do not! Apple knows this, and gives them a product that they don't have to screw around with.

And that's okay... :-)

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-31-2015 10:33 PM
    Sounds like the OP wanted to switch to an iPhone regardless and was just looking for a reason to do it. No one spends that kind of money without trying anything to resolve the problem.

04-01-2015 12:06 AM
    Not really. For computers I use Mac. Tablet is Ipad. I won't use anything else because they work flawlessley. However my handheld of choice for years has been android devices. I did own the 4s which was good, but that was it for me and the iphone experience.
    Me too.
    Macs are rock solid.
    But I don't use any i stuff.
    04-01-2015 12:56 AM
    The OP just wanted to thank everyone! the proper response is to say, "You are welcome", and wish that person the best, as some did...

It doesn't matter that most of us on this forum would have done something differently, experimented more, tried different solutions, etc., but I believe the OP's experience does teach us all something...

Android is not for everybody! There can definitely be a certain aggravation factor associated with getting these phones to run just exactly like you want them.

I've had mine for two weeks, and I'm still screwing around with it! but, the difference is I enjoy the process.

Many people absolutely do not! Apple knows this, and gives them a product that they don't have to screw around with.

And that's okay... :-)

No where in the OP post did I sense an expression of "thanks". Obviously the title of the thread said it, but nowhere else. No one here is jumping on him for choosing iOS over Android. I'm fully understanding of people who do not enjoy the Android experience. People are only commenting on how he blames a company for forcing him to spend 1k dollars when he obviously had every intention of doing that himself anyway.

Even if Lollipop was perfect, I would venture to say that the next time his battery died he would have used that as a reason to get the iPhone 6. It's totally cool that he prefers iOS, but like I said before, be an adult and own it. Don't feed everyone full of crap to try to justify to yourself that you made the correct decision.
    04-01-2015 10:00 AM
    I have a question... Everyone always talks about how devices just work together.. What are you guys doing to make them work together? I've never had any device not work together... When I had iPhones I needed iTunes and it worked. With Android I need a browser and a Google account to work. I have windows phones in my drawer and they all work fine with my Windows PC and Google accounts! I mean.... What do u guys need to do or are doing to have them "work together nicely" . I hear it all the time!
    04-01-2015 11:49 AM
    Hi Everyone,
    Thought I'd check back and read up on the responses to my sign-off post and clarify some things to those who didn't understand quite where I was coming from or why I switched back to iOS. Like I said in my original post, I loved the Note 4 pre Lollipop even though it had a few issues, mainly a terrible camera. Both Android and Apple will always have their pros & cons.

Sure, I don't disagree that a factory reset would have fixed many if not all of the issues I immediately encountered after 5.0.1 downloaded into my Note 4. The issue I had with factory resetting was that I did not want to go through the whole phone and disable the long long list of bloat I disabled. I did not want to go through setting up Nova, Tesla, my home screens and pictures, email servers, notifications, Google privacy settings in Chrome, Play Store, Youtube, etc all over again. With the 6 Plus I bought it took maybe 20 minutes to set the entire device up including servers, pictures, everything. The camera is wonderful...point/shoot/perfect! Do miss my S-Pen though

What the factory reset would NOT have addressed is the following:

1. Lollipop and it's entire removal from my device. Are you KIDDING Google?! A little advice to Google employees...Quit hanging out on Fillmore Street in SF and hop on your 2 million bus and get to work!!

2. Worse battery life, apparently due to Lollipop

3. Useless notifications

4. Cannot text a video unlike iMessage where it is so effortless.

5. Hated the way the Note 4 display would light up and stay lit up while I was on a call when another call came in. Clearly a glitch in the SW or proximity sensor.

6. No dynamic calendar app icon even though Nova and Audax Icon Pack state it is dynamic. It's not. I've sent repeated emails to Kevin at Teslacoil/Nova with zero response from him, thanks Kevin, great business ethics.

7. Don't like having no control over what the carrier pushes to my phone. First it was the update that crammed Evernote and HD voice into our devices, then Lollipop. I have ALL automatic updates turned off yet those still pushed through.

8. I could never get used to the segregation of Samsung / Google / Android / AT&T. Quite frankly I'm amazed they can even get the device to work at all with that many separate entities involved.

Again, thank you all for helping in the past and all the enlightening posts and helpful features I learned here, great community. Have a wonderful summer and be safe.
    skatergirl likes this.
    04-01-2015 12:36 PM
    This is so weird to me, as a long time iphone user that's also been thinking of jumping ship...the update is what actually made me LIKE this phone better

skatergirl likes this.
    04-01-2015 01:35 PM
    Hi Everyone,
    Thought I'd check back and read up on the responses to my sign-off post and clarify some things to those who didn't understand quite where I was coming from or why I switched back to iOS. Like I said in my original post, I loved the Note 4 pre Lollipop even though it had a few issues, mainly a terrible camera. Both Android and Apple will always have their pros & cons.

Sure, I don't disagree that a factory reset would have fixed many if not all of the issues I immediately encountered after 5.0.1 downloaded into my Note 4. The issue I had with factory resetting was that I did not want to go through the whole phone and disable the long long list of bloat I disabled. I did not want to go through setting up Nova, Tesla, my home screens and pictures, email servers, notifications, Google privacy settings in Chrome, Play Store, Youtube, etc all over again. With the 6 Plus I bought it took maybe 20 minutes to set the entire device up including servers, pictures, everything. The camera is wonderful...point/shoot/perfect! Do miss my S-Pen though

1. Lollipop and it's entire removal from my device. Are you KIDDING Google?! A little advice to Google employees...Quit hanging out on Fillmore Street in SF and hop on your 2 million bus and get to work!!

3. Useless notifications

5. Hated the way the Note 4 display would light up and stay lit up while I was on a call when another call came in. Clearly a glitch in the SW or proximity sensor.

6. No dynamic calendar app icon even though Nova and Audax Icon Pack state it is dynamic. It's not. I've sent repeated emails to Kevin at Teslacoil/Nova with zero response from him, thanks Kevin, great business ethics.

7. Don't like having no control over what the carrier pushes to my phone. First it was the update that crammed Evernote and HD voice into our devices, then Lollipop. I have ALL automatic updates turned off yet those still pushed through.

8. I could never get used to the segregation of Samsung / Google / Android / AT&T. Quite frankly I'm amazed they can even get the device to work at all with that many separate entities involved.

Again, thank you all for helping in the past and all the enlightening posts and helpful features I learned here, great community. Have a wonderful summer and be safe.
    For number 4, iMessage isn't just SMS. When two iPhones use iMessage to send video or whatever, it's actually using your data plan. It's more like WhatsApp in that regard but it's tied into the iPhone SMS client and it will act like WhatsApp if two iPhones are communicating. with each other.
    04-01-2015 01:54 PM
    Maybe the OP will find out the limitations with iOS and regret that decision and maybe not. There are choices for a reason.
    If OP was too damn lazy to do a factory reset, my guess is he's not motivated enough to find the limitations and probably lacks the intelligence lol. To me, it sounds like he just liked iOS better and was looking for a reason to switch back.

I'll enjoy my customizations and the fact that if I don't like something, I can change it.
    skatergirl likes this.
    04-01-2015 02:44 PM

Seems like many people are not having this problem. My guess is, it would've worked for you.

Factory resets often have positive effects on battery life especially after big software updates

3. Useless notifications
    Then how about you configure whatever it is that's notifying you to NOT notify you? Sounds like a user error

Rarely do I send videos to people so I don't know about this. Mine always go to social media.

Sounds like something a factory reset might've fixed. I never have this problem.... ever

So you're too lazy to find something else. User related issue

Cannot comment on this.

But you can deal w/ the segregation of Apple and their products??

Sounds to me like you're lazy and have an agenda and were looking for an excuse. I'm half as knowledgeable as some of the people on this board and these are easy problems to rectify.

Have fun being limited
    skatergirl likes this.
    04-01-2015 02:49 PM
    This is so weird to me, as a long time iphone user that's also been thinking of jumping ship...the update is what actually made me LIKE this phone better

You crack me up, logik!
    04-01-2015 04:33 PM
    Hi Everyone,

3. Useless notifications

I just think if you had tried doing the factory reset you would have found a fine working phone again, even with Lollipop. But that is Ok ... Some people don't like Android because there are too many customization functions for them. For me, it's great. I love it. I also think you may have had a defective camera, because my camera takes great pictures and video.
    ehstaley likes this.
    04-01-2015 04:37 PM
    I'd been device agnostic for years, using Android or iOS as the seasons changed. Something happened though. When I got a 6+ I just couldn't appreciate it as much as I did my Note 4 and Note 3 anymore. I'm not exactly sure why. The 6+ went away and was replaced by a Note Edge. Weird but I'm happier.
    I don't care about ditching brands, but ditching an entire os--that's a daunting matter. Don't you find that disorienting? New apps to buy. New things to learn.

A friend of mine keeps trying to persuade me to buy a Mac laptop. My basic reaction is...maybe it's a bit better than the wonderful Kirabook I have. Maybe not. But when you factor in having to buy all new software and deal with all new tricks, I can only say.
    No
    Never
    Not a chance

Just not worth the effort for a small, incremental improvement.
    04-01-2015 05:00 PM
    Enjoy your new device! There is nothing wrong at all with going what you prefer to use .. hence why we have choices. It is an awesome thing .
    anon8380037 likes this.
    04-01-2015 05:12 PM
    If OP was too damn lazy to do a factory reset, my guess is he's not motivated enough to find the limitations and probably lacks the intelligence lol. To me, it sounds like he just liked iOS better and was looking for a reason to switch back.

I'll enjoy my customizations and the fact that if I don't like something, I can change it.
    OP gave a list of 8 things that a factory reset would not have addressed... Again, Android is not for everybody...

04-01-2015 06:03 PM
    Android is not for everyone just like iOS isn't. The OP may have had such a bad experience, in his mind, that he just didn't want to be bothered. In fact, unless $1K to him is like $10 or $100 is to me I'm thinking he'd have had to have a pretty bad experience to jump ship when so many have praised the device he left. There is nothing wrong with not loving Android and leaving it and I don't see anything wrong with expressing why in a forum like this. His experience doesn't reflect my own. In fact, I just said 'Farewell' to Apple but I'm not sure the folks at iMore would be open minded enough for me to go there, express why, and have them be positive about my doing so. Its good we're not like that here at AC.
    04-01-2015 08:12 PM
    In fact, I just said 'Farewell' to Apple but I'm not sure the folks at iMore would be open minded enough for me to go there, express why, and have them be positive about my doing so. Its good we're not like that here at AC.
    Yes, it's good we are not like that here at AC! :-)

04-01-2015 08:31 PM
    Hi all,

So I loved my Note 4 with KitKat out of the box. It was just the phone I wanted even though I am a Mac user with 4 Macs in the house. I made the Note 4 work via Dropbox for pics etc. I kinda got accustomed to not having iMessage even though 99.999% of my friends did. The only really gripe I ever had early on with the Note 4 was crappy pics. Some called me crazy, they said I didn't know what I was doing, they said "did you take the plastic off?"....In the end it is now appearing that the first batch of Note 4's has a very serious auto focus issue...SO, I'm not crazy after all.

Moving forward...Just last week my Note 4 in collaboration with AT&T decided to push (shove down my throat) the Lollipop 5.0.1 update and this is where the REAL issues and dislikes began. After flat out refusing to do a factory reset and waiting a few days to see if I could indeed just get used to Lollipop, I bailed on Android/Google/Samsung and went back to the iPhone. I bought the 6 Plus today. Sure....there are things I hate about the iPhone but it took Lollipop to open my eyes and see that the iPhone's "issues" are pale in comparison. I will very much miss the S-pen!! I loved that feature!! I loved the display, the fast charging, the removable battery. I hated the camera and all the confusing settings, the TERRIBLE placement of the speakerphone, the quiet ringer, not being able to text a video longer that 3 seconds because the "file exceeded the limits", and the worst native email exchange client I think I've ever seen. Ultimately both the iPhone 6 and the Note 4 have their short comings. What is most important to all of us here is, what works best for us as individuals. For me it's going to be iOS moving forward.

To Google: Thanks for making me spend $1,017.80 today at the Apple store, but hey....glad you didn't get it.
    Good for you !! I applaud that you did what you wanted. Who cares if the rest of the people are saying you are lazy. " a factory reset would have fixed everything" um maybe not. You have clearly pointed out good and bad things with BOTH phones but if you say ANYTHING bad about android people get **** hurt. It is the same on the other forums for IOS. I could understand if you completely trashed the Note 4 and android but you pointed out all the good things about the phone and how much better it was on KitKat. Yet you are called lazy and crazy for spending a $1000. I just looked how much is a Samsung Galaxy S6 128 gb is $ 50.00 cheaper. So people who buy the 128 gb S6 must also be crazy lol
    anon8380037 likes this.
    04-01-2015 09:24 PM
74 123