I want to thank all those here that helped me but I jumped ship

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the OP will find out the limitations with iOS and regret that decision and maybe not. There are choices for a reason.

If OP was too damn lazy to do a factory reset, my guess is he's not motivated enough to find the limitations and probably lacks the intelligence lol. To me, it sounds like he just liked iOS better and was looking for a reason to switch back.

I'll enjoy my customizations and the fact that if I don't like something, I can change it.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
What the factory reset would NOT have addressed is the following:

1. Lollipop and it's entire removal from my device. Are you KIDDING Google?! A little advice to Google employees...Quit hanging out on Fillmore Street in SF and hop on your 2 million bus and get to work!!

Seems like many people are not having this problem. My guess is, it would've worked for you.

2. Worse battery life, apparently due to Lollipop

Factory resets often have positive effects on battery life especially after big software updates

3. Useless notifications

Then how about you configure whatever it is that's notifying you to NOT notify you? Sounds like a user error

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

4. Cannot text a video unlike iMessage where it is so effortless.

Rarely do I send videos to people so I don't know about this. Mine always go to social media.

5. Hated the way the Note 4 display would light up and stay lit up while I was on a call when another call came in. Clearly a glitch in the SW or proximity sensor.

Sounds like something a factory reset might've fixed. I never have this problem.... ever

6. No dynamic calendar app icon even though Nova and Audax Icon Pack state it is dynamic. It's not. I've sent repeated emails to Kevin at Teslacoil/Nova with zero response from him, thanks Kevin, great business ethics.

So you're too lazy to find something else. User related issue

7. Don't like having no control over what the carrier pushes to my phone. First it was the update that crammed Evernote and HD voice into our devices, then Lollipop. I have ALL automatic updates turned off yet those still pushed through.

Cannot comment on this.

8. I could never get used to the segregation of Samsung / Google / Android / AT&T. Quite frankly I'm amazed they can even get the device to work at all with that many separate entities involved.

But you can deal w/ the segregation of Apple and their products??

Sounds to me like you're lazy and have an agenda and were looking for an excuse. I'm half as knowledgeable as some of the people on this board and these are easy problems to rectify.

Have fun being limited :)

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi Everyone,
Thought I'd check back and read up on the responses to my sign-off post and clarify some things to those who didn't understand quite where I was coming from or why I switched back to iOS. Like I said in my original post, I loved the Note 4 pre Lollipop even though it had a few issues, mainly a terrible camera. Both Android and Apple will always have their pros & cons.

Sure, I don't disagree that a factory reset would have fixed many if not all of the issues I immediately encountered after 5.0.1 downloaded into my Note 4. The issue I had with factory resetting was that I did not want to go through the whole phone and disable the long long list of bloat I disabled. I did not want to go through setting up Nova, Tesla, my home screens and pictures, email servers, notifications, Google privacy settings in Chrome, Play Store, Youtube, etc all over again. With the 6 Plus I bought it took maybe 20 minutes to set the entire device up including servers, pictures, everything. The camera is wonderful...point/shoot/perfect! Do miss my S-Pen though :(

What the factory reset would NOT have addressed is the following:

1. Lollipop and it's entire removal from my device. Are you KIDDING Google?! A little advice to Google employees...Quit hanging out on Fillmore Street in SF and hop on your 2 million bus and get to work!!

2. Worse battery life, apparently due to Lollipop

3. Useless notifications

4. Cannot text a video unlike iMessage where it is so effortless.

5. Hated the way the Note 4 display would light up and stay lit up while I was on a call when another call came in. Clearly a glitch in the SW or proximity sensor.

6. No dynamic calendar app icon even though Nova and Audax Icon Pack state it is dynamic. It's not. I've sent repeated emails to Kevin at Teslacoil/Nova with zero response from him, thanks Kevin, great business ethics.

7. Don't like having no control over what the carrier pushes to my phone. First it was the update that crammed Evernote and HD voice into our devices, then Lollipop. I have ALL automatic updates turned off yet those still pushed through.

8. I could never get used to the segregation of Samsung / Google / Android / AT&T. Quite frankly I'm amazed they can even get the device to work at all with that many separate entities involved.

Again, thank you all for helping in the past and all the enlightening posts and helpful features I learned here, great community. Have a wonderful summer and be safe.

I just think if you had tried doing the factory reset you would have found a fine working phone again, even with Lollipop. But that is Ok ... Some people don't like Android because there are too many customization functions for them. For me, it's great. I love it. I also think you may have had a defective camera, because my camera takes great pictures and video.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I'd been device agnostic for years, using Android or iOS as the seasons changed. Something happened though. When I got a 6+ I just couldn't appreciate it as much as I did my Note 4 and Note 3 anymore. I'm not exactly sure why. The 6+ went away and was replaced by a Note Edge. Weird but I'm happier.

I don't care about ditching brands, but ditching an entire os--that's a daunting matter. Don't you find that disorienting? New apps to buy. New things to learn.

A friend of mine keeps trying to persuade me to buy a Mac laptop. My basic reaction is...maybe it's a bit better than the wonderful Kirabook I have. Maybe not. But when you factor in having to buy all new software and deal with all new tricks, I can only say.
No
Never
Not a chance

Just not worth the effort for a small, incremental improvement.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Enjoy your new device! There is nothing wrong at all with going what you prefer to use .. hence why we have choices. It is an awesome thing :).

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
If OP was too damn lazy to do a factory reset, my guess is he's not motivated enough to find the limitations and probably lacks the intelligence lol. To me, it sounds like he just liked iOS better and was looking for a reason to switch back.

I'll enjoy my customizations and the fact that if I don't like something, I can change it.

OP gave a list of 8 things that a factory reset would not have addressed... Again, Android is not for everybody...

Posted via the Android Central App

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Android is not for everyone just like iOS isn't. The OP may have had such a bad experience, in his mind, that he just didn't want to be bothered. In fact, unless $1K to him is like $10 or $100 is to me I'm thinking he'd have had to have a pretty bad experience to jump ship when so many have praised the device he left. There is nothing wrong with not loving Android and leaving it and I don't see anything wrong with expressing why in a forum like this. His experience doesn't reflect my own. In fact, I just said 'Farewell' to Apple but I'm not sure the folks at iMore would be open minded enough for me to go there, express why, and have them be positive about my doing so. Its good we're not like that here at AC.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
In fact, I just said 'Farewell' to Apple but I'm not sure the folks at iMore would be open minded enough for me to go there, express why, and have them be positive about my doing so. Its good we're not like that here at AC.

Yes, it's good we are not like that here at AC! :)

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

So I loved my Note 4 with KitKat out of the box. It was just the phone I wanted even though I am a Mac user with 4 Macs in the house. I made the Note 4 work via Dropbox for pics etc. I kinda got accustomed to not having iMessage even though 99.999% of my friends did. The only really gripe I ever had early on with the Note 4 was crappy pics. Some called me crazy, they said I didn't know what I was doing, they said "did you take the plastic off?"....In the end it is now appearing that the first batch of Note 4's has a very serious auto focus issue...SO, I'm not crazy after all.

Moving forward...Just last week my Note 4 in collaboration with AT&T decided to push (shove down my throat) the Lollipop 5.0.1 update and this is where the REAL issues and dislikes began. After flat out refusing to do a factory reset and waiting a few days to see if I could indeed just get used to Lollipop, I bailed on Android/Google/Samsung and went back to the iPhone. I bought the 6 Plus today. Sure....there are things I hate about the iPhone but it took Lollipop to open my eyes and see that the iPhone's "issues" are pale in comparison. I will very much miss the S-pen!! I loved that feature!! I loved the display, the fast charging, the removable battery. I hated the camera and all the confusing settings, the TERRIBLE placement of the speakerphone, the quiet ringer, not being able to text a video longer that 3 seconds because the "file exceeded the limits", and the worst native email exchange client I think I've ever seen. Ultimately both the iPhone 6 and the Note 4 have their short comings. What is most important to all of us here is, what works best for us as individuals. For me it's going to be iOS moving forward.

To Google: Thanks for making me spend $1,017.80 today at the Apple store, but hey....glad you didn't get it.

Good for you !! I applaud that you did what you wanted. Who cares if the rest of the people are saying you are lazy. " a factory reset would have fixed everything" um maybe not. You have clearly pointed out good and bad things with BOTH phones but if you say ANYTHING bad about android people get **** hurt. It is the same on the other forums for IOS. I could understand if you completely trashed the Note 4 and android but you pointed out all the good things about the phone and how much better it was on KitKat. Yet you are called lazy and crazy for spending a $1000. I just looked how much is a Samsung Galaxy S6 128 gb is $ 50.00 cheaper. So people who buy the 128 gb S6 must also be crazy lol

pcbtmr

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
To the OP:
What did you do with your Note4 and is it for sale (and what carrier)? I would gladly match what I paid for mine so my wife can have my Note 3 and have this as my backup

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Good for you !! I applaud that you did what you wanted. Who cares if the rest of the people are saying you are lazy. " a factory reset would have fixed everything" um maybe not. You have clearly pointed out good and bad things with BOTH phones but if you say ANYTHING bad about android people get **** hurt. It is the same on the other forums for IOS. I could understand if you completely trashed the Note 4 and android but you pointed out all the good things about the phone and how much better it was on KitKat. Yet you are called lazy and crazy for spending a $1000. I just looked how much is a Samsung Galaxy S6 128 gb is $ 50.00 cheaper. So people who buy the 128 gb S6 must also be crazy lol

Not everyone was calling him lazy or crazy. He began his post by saying he loved his Note 4 out of the box, that Lollipop ruined his phone, that he down right refused to do a factory reset and then blamed Google for making him spend $1,000 on a new iPhone. If a person is going to come out here on a public forum making such a statement, he or she is going to receive some harsh responses.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
OP gave a list of 8 things that a factory reset would not have addressed... Again, Android is not for everybody...

You're absolutely correct about it not being for everybody. You're absolutely incorrect about those 8 things not being fixed by a factory reset. I know, for a fact, that some would.

Again, OP is lazy and looking for an excuse. He got it.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

This comment above is not accurate whatsoever. I already said that I fully understand why someone could prefer iOS to Android. You're building it up in your own mind that people can't understand that. The point is, he blamed Android for FORCING him to pay 1k dollars for the iPhone which they obviously did not do. Sure, a Factory Reset wont solve EVERYTHING but the vast majority of problems he mentioned have been mentioned by other users, who have seen huge improvements after a FDR. I applaud him as well for doing what he wanted. But the applause stopped when I saw him blaming Google for him not being willing to spend an hour tops on a Factory Reset to solve his own problems.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
This comment above is not accurate whatsoever. I already said that I fully understand why someone could prefer iOS to Android. You're building it up in your own mind that people can't understand that. The point is, he blamed Android for FORCING him to pay 1k dollars for the iPhone which they obviously did not do. Sure, a Factory Reset wont solve EVERYTHING but the vast majority of problems he mentioned have been mentioned by other users, who have seen huge improvements after a FDR. I applaud him as well for doing what he wanted. But the applause stopped when I saw him blaming Google for him not being willing to spend an hour tops on a Factory Reset to solve his own problems.

Their is no guarantee that a factory reset will fix anything so I wish people would stop saying that.And while I do believe that it was wrong for him to blame Google I also think it was more him venting and being sarcastic then really blaming Google.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Their is no guarantee that a factory reset will fix anything so I wish people would stop saying that.And while I do believe that it was wrong for him to blame Google I also think it was more him venting and being sarcastic then really blaming Google.

You're right, there is no guarantee that a factory reset will fix it. However, there is a guarantee that doing nothing wont fix it. So to me, i'll take my chances BEFORE I go and vent about a problem or problems that were still 100% in my power to attempt to fix. If all possible avenues are exhausted and you can't get any satisfaction from Samsung, or Google then yes.....blame them by all means. But if your battery dies and you say: "Charging my battery wont guarantee that my phone turns back on." Well yeah you're right, but sitting there doing nothing isn't going to solve anything either.

By all means vent away. But when you vent and be sarcastic online in a forum scene, don't get upset when people call you out.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Why lol

Of course it is cracking me up in a good way. You being torn between the Note and the iPhone 6 has been fun to read. Glad you like Lollipop. I am with Verizon and it is finally on the way. Woo hoo, Happy Dance most likely a factory reset on the way!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1